subsoniic

Hey Guys, I need your help =]

Hey guys, new to the forum, and somewhat new to the whole cctv scene. I have a few problems i need help trouble shooting. For my warehouse we instealled 10 PTZ cameras, and 80 vandal proof, I/R cameras. For the most part we used cat5 with baluns, if distance permits we used the Rj59 cables..it was a big project, all the wires were ran meticulously and now we ran it to the dvr room, powered it up, but we are gettin really CRAPPY images. Im not sure if its unstable power current, bad cables ? (cant be right ? they are brand new) Im really bombarded, any guidance, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. BTW all the BNC heads were checked on dvr end, all the power distribution boxes lit up accordingly, no fuses blew..im really stuck =T

-Peter

Take a monitor to a few of the cameras that are acting up, and check the images there.

Post a screen shot on a photo hosting site, and put the link here.

Are the crappy images on the cat5e or rg-59 or both types?

I agree with UMD Ranger.

If you do not have good video at the camera then that may show you a power supply issue, or too long cable length for power, or small guage used when you should use large guage for power.

Are you powering the cameras with the cat5?

You may have to power the camera locally if you cannot rerun the wires.

What I really suspect is that you are having ground loop issues, and I say this because you say you have a warehouse, and I am thinking that you have metal building.

Take a camera that is messed up, and take it down, or at least get it off of the mount. If the video clears up when it is isolated from the metal then you can come up with a plane to put something between the mounts, and the building. You can use something as cheesy as cardboard, or some plastic sheeting from a "hobby store", or you can cut up thin food cutting boards as these are easy to cut, and drill.

What do you think?

hey guys, thanks for the replies. Those are some good advice, only thing is, the cameras are mounted about 45 ft in the air, only access is with a lift that we rented, and that thing is expensive. The crappy images are mostly from the CAT5e cables, i believe we used a 21 AWG rated power cables, do you think thats sufficient enough ? another thing is its about 500 ft away from the DVR room. This sucks...

- Scorpion, can you define 'ground loops' ? Im really new to this stuff, the more i know, the better off i am =]

Sounds like power problem, if the runs are 500ft with what Power..12vdc or 24vac... may not get enough to power the cameras properly.