raymond

warning re avermedia and POS and Vista

Hi all,

Following my recent difficulties I have been trying Avermedia. I have recently finished a 32 cam job includig megapixel cams, based on 2 x 6480e cards. I was pleased with the result until I tried to integrate POS.

Till manufacturers are insisting that I use a locally manufactured interface box or they will void their warranty. As they are part of a big group I dont want to rub them the wrong way.

Anyhow, 32 ch system built on vista. Avermedia tech support tell me aver designed to run on vista business.

POS on aver on vista will not run reliably using UDP.

Aver on vista will "see" the additional usb to com ports (even tried pci to com ports for extra com ports) and data is transferred, but not picked up by vista. (interface guy verified this using old programme called odyssey.)

I then installed XP and the POS now works but the system is runnng sooo slowly that client will not accept it. It takes up to 3 mins to enter playback.

Worse still aver has no "database repair facility" which means past footage becomes very very difficult to search.

The last time I contacted aver support I received many pointless requests to take photos of both sides of the card!! They never offered me a resolution. It turned out to be a dud nv5000 card which I have now replaced.

This time round is just as bad. They want me to reinstall vista on the affected PC and set up ultavnc on the network at my client's site just so they can check what me and the till interface manufacturer have both established, that pos does not work on aver installed on vista. This is doing nothing to endear me to my customer.

Anyone else had these problems?

If you are thinking about it and you need POS just be careful about your choice of operating system. You have a choice - no POS or tortoise slow performance. Believe me, both suck.

If aver find a way to make this work on vista I'll let you know.

Why not fix whatever was slowing you down on XP?

Vista on a DVR is not a good idea all the extra GUI fluff just gets in the way.

Also as you have found vista's network stack is different and seems to break just about everything I have ever tried to use with it. It'll just take time for the world to bend to M$'s desires.

How do you discover what is slowing the system down on xp? The processor isn't running flat out! Apart from that Aver tech support say Aver is designed for VISTA business 32bit not XP.

Well I have built many Aver boxes and not once used Vista and I don't forsee myself using vista anytime soon. If anything I would much prefer to go Linux then Vista but unfortunately there isn't a massive amount of Linux hybrid CCTV servers.

I would start by looking at the task manager and see where your system resources are going. If you can't find that look at your storage situation on and on.

Have you built any 32 channel Aver systems? Have you any POS running on Aver? Do you find it takes a while to bring footage up for playback? The 32 ch system that is slow is running 28 analogues at D1, 2 2.0mp ip cameras and 2 1.3mp cameras, 5 POS, 5 audio mics. Using Task Manager there appears to be less of a strain on resources when running XP - Thats why I can't understand it running slower with exactly the same setup except for the OS.

How do you discover what is slowing the system down on xp? The processor isn't running flat out! Apart from that Aver tech support say Aver is designed for VISTA business 32bit not XP.

Is there anything in the Device Manager with a yellow Question or Exclamation mark next to it?

Also provide specs on the PC.

Anyway,

-Go into your bios and set the defaults, save and exit.

-Right Click on the C Drive in My Computer, Properties, Tools, Error Checking, Check now.

-Defrag

-Download Windows Cleanup! and change the options to Standard, run (not demo) then log off

-Download CCleaner Portable and run the Cleaner and The Registry tools, fix all issues.

-Restart and see how it is.

-Goto the Services list and arrange by Start up type, see if any set to AUTOMATIC have not started.

Send us some reports:

-Goto Start, Run, msconfig, Boot.ini - check /BOOTLOG and click apply then Restart

-the Boot log file will be called: NTBTLOG.TXT and is in the Windows Folder

-Download HiJackThis from TrendMicro, run a scan and save the report (dont send to Trend Micro)

-Goto the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, and Right click save log file for both Application and System.

-Goto the Services and Export the list.

-If you used Nlite, save the Nlite Session file somewhere (not the _U one).

-Also check the Setup Error log and if not empty, save that - C:\Windows\setuperr.log

-Zip and upload these files so I can take a look at them.

Thanks Rory. I will get you some data files and send them to you.

There are no yellow exclamation marks showing under device manager.

Specs are Gigabyte G-P35-DS3

4 Gb DDR2 ( 2x 2Gb) 6400

Nvidia 7300GT PCIE graphics

Core 2 Duo 6850 (3x3.0GHz)

Coolermaster Stacker

11 x Seagate SV35 750Gb

1x Seagate 80 Gb HDD for Operating System

Coolermaster 650 w PSU

2 xAver 6480E cards

The system runs at 35 degrees C and uses about 1.3Gb RAM.

Sounds like a killa system though .. wannt swap for my old AMD?

Let us know on the reports.

Hi all,

Aver tech support tell me they have tested POS with vista and it is working fine their end. I am to try a few more tests next week and report back to them.

I will let you know how I get on.

I always install my AVer DVR on xp pro and have connected many of my DVRs to POS and have not have that much problems. Last week I connected 3 Aloha POS By Radiant system with the help of iLink Professionals on XP Pro DVR. I have never installed any DVR on Vista and will avoid it as mush as I can.

just realising that I never did update this post. I did eventually get sorted. POS working on UDP on custom boxes fine now.

Problem was in part custom interface boxes (and till supplier not having told their box man that they had had changed their protocols) and in part usb to com port drivers not supported in vista.

Aver has a great advantage over geo in that you can write till protocols yourself to filter out the command prompts and strange characters. I had a few fun hours playing with it on another site!

I still have a gripe though. I cannot get POS to view remotely. Has anyone else managed this? (and yes I do have the port open, but only occasionally get bits of data showing intermittently.)

Do you know that you can set video quality channel by channel remotely at webviewer or remote console? Right click on one split and then you can set video quality. And, to view POS, you have to set the quality to high.

Try that and let us know have you got it work. I am pretty sure AVer can let you view POS remotely.

Yes I have done this and no it doesnt work. Ip cameras run fine over webcam. The analogues however are poor in terms of frame rate. On a 32 camera system with 6 ip camera (2x2.0mp and 4x 1.3mp) the analogues are giving 1fps for recording at site even with all the settings up full - i.e at 640 x480 and 12fps is only achieveing 1 fps on each of the 26 analogues. Webcam is running about 2 fps/channel when set at lowest quality. On high quality it's doing well to achieve 0.8fps. I'm going to reinstall the system because the Turbo button has also dissappeared!!

I have another system that I'm currently installing using a 6480E. I set it at 640x480 with the Turbo on and all channels running at 25fps. I have 4 analogues installed and have just finished installing 7 1.3Mp ip cameras all of which are running at 4 fps. The recording frame rate on the analogues is achieving the full 25fps. I haven't webcam setup yet but this should be done by next week. Will keep you posted

I always install my AVer DVR on xp pro and have connected many of my DVRs to POS and have not have that much problems. Last week I connected 3 Aloha POS By Radiant system with the help of iLink Professionals on XP Pro DVR. I have never installed any DVR on Vista and will avoid it as mush as I can.

I wonder how you get it to work. Do you use the avermedia box? or Do you use an TCP/IP connection. I have radiant POS and would like to connect it to our avermedia DVR.

I have done Radiant system for Chackers, Donkin Donuts and for Backyard burgers and all those places I used the POS Box and two adaptors that I got from iLink Professionals, which also worked with Ruby system that most gas stations uses. Now they are working on getting Sharp register to work and I think they are very close and it's been only couple of days yeaah!! sorry I have order for 15 locations if that works

Sajaan

You would have to forward port 5150 to the DVR. I have done it and it works quite well. Though, sometimes I think the overlay text is lost or not sync'd. But overall I like it.