rtts2

Sentinel CCTV I cannot remote view video on PC

Hi Everybody

I have a Senetinel CCTV (SC21FD3044-161) and a Trendnet Router. I have been trying for three days to just PC remote view the video that is on the CCTV. I have tried everything the manual has instructed me to do.

Has anyone setup this type of CCTV for viewing on the computer? I have done the port forwarding on the router, opened the CCTV's IP address through the routers DMZ.

I'm using Netviwer which is the software that came with the Sentinel CCTV. I get the error message "cannot find DVR" when I try to connect the Netview on the PC.

I have pinged the network but the IP address does not show up, when I use IPconfig in dos and it does not ping the message is "Host not found".

My network card is fine. The PC is a Pentium 4 1.5 ghz running windows 2000. It's an old setup just to view CCTV video images and video.

I have met all the minimum requirements as far as hardware goes. Please, would someone help me to just get the video from the CCTV to show on my PC monitor. Thanks to in advance to anyone that can help me

I am sorry. I am not familiar with this device.

It will not record on quad 2 while watching quad 1, and I have never looked at this device further. You can hook up motion detectors to this device to get it to record on the quad 2 cameras. I have never been able to find any documentation on which ports need to be opened.

If you have it in a DMZ with all ports open then I do not see what is causing your problem.

Can you see your cameras on your local lan?

I cannot see any of the cameras on the lan. The ports that must be open are 5000, 5001, 5002, and 5003. The network card I have set a static IP address of 192.168.1.3 and the CCTV DVR is set to 192.168.1.150. I have set the DVR's IP in the DMZ. Everytime I try to view the cameras on the PC the Netview software says error cannot find DVR. I wonder if the DVR can actually transmit data to the PC. The documentation says it can. Do you have any suggestions?

You said you ping the network and it doesn't show up.

Just to confirm, you are pinging the DVR? Do you have a link light between the switch and the DVR? Even if you do have lights try changing patch cables and a different port on the switch.

The PC you are trying to view the DVR from is working on the network? Can you ping the router?

It sounds like you are on the right track, but something is not quite right.

Have you power cycled the DVR after making network changes? I don't know that it is required, but it could help. I have made a lot of money over the years just power cycling networked devices!

I can ping the router and and the PC. I cannot ping the DVR. It almost seems as if the DVR is not connected to the router. I changed the ethernet cables twice. Both cat 5 RJ-45 cables work when I plug them into other networks. I can't get any communication with the Sentinel DVR. It's very frustrating The message I get when I ping the DVR is "Host not found". Anymore suggestions? The DVR is not firewalled. All ports are open. I've power cycled several times. Thanks for the input.

Edited by Guest

Do you know anything about Sentinel Products? I mean are they worthy of my business? Seems like this should be plug and play. I've spent to much time on this simple problem already. I've emailed their support but haven't gotten an answer back yet.

Do you know anything about Sentinel Products? I mean are they worthy of my business? Seems like this should be plug and play. I've spent to much time on this simple problem already. I've emailed their support but haven't gotten an answer back yet.

I'm not familiar with the products. My guess is a hardware problem if you can't even ping it. Sounds like you know something about networking so if you feel you have it configured as specified in the manual it's up to tech support now. If they are slow to respond then that should be your answer regarding whether they are worthy of your business.

To put it in perspective I assisted a colleague in installing a Bosch DiBos and we ended up having to restore the OS twice right out of the box before it would store configuration settings. Now that may have been an XP thing but just goes to show you even high end stuff can have issues out of the box.

Good luck!

The DVR is 150.

If you cannot see this on the LAN then we have to resolve this issue first.

As we are not familiar with this DIY device then we will have to rely on your observations.

What is a disavantage for us is we know without "thinking" what we need to do to make things work.

We might assume you have done something that we expect you to do, and in reality you have not.

You may have done something that we would not do, and we are "blind" to your action.

We will have to figure a way to create documentation where we both can compare notes, and both be on the same page.

Please go to http://ipchicken.com/

and give us this number.

Please do an IP config on the local computer to the CCTV device, and give us the list of information.

This will be the start of our "documentation".

Lets roll up our sleeve, and have some "mental" fun!

The DVR is 150.

If you cannot see this on the LAN then we have to resolve this issue first.

As we are not familiar with this DIY device then we will have to rely on your observations.

What is a disavantage for us is we know without "thinking" what we need to do to make things work.

We might assume you have done something that we expect you to do, and in reality you have not.

You may have done something that we would not do, and we are "blind" to your action.

We will have to figure a way to create documentation where we both can compare notes, and both be on the same page.

Please go to http://ipchicken.com/

and give us this number.

Please do an IP config on the local computer to the CCTV device, and give us the list of information.

This will be the start of our "documentation".

Lets roll up our sleeve, and have some "mental" fun!

Great advice Scorpion! I'm wondering if his Trendnet router acts like a LinkSys router in the same way that if he has enabled Port(s) Forwarding and DMZ, then the Port(s) Forwarding will take priority over the DMZ setting, thereby making the DMZ setting useless. If he has the wrong Port(s) Forwarded, then DMZ cannot kick into action.

When it gets to that point in the troubleshooting, I'd recommend disabling Port(s) Forwarding and stick with DMZ.

However, having setup the correct IP Address in the DVR and Enabling it, one would think it would respond to a Ping regardless of Port(s) Forwarding issues.

Maybe it's a simple as the Cat-5 cable.

Great advice Scorpion!

Great! Thanks Alot!! Now RickA is going to come along, and bust me up for having a big head!!

LOL!

Thanks Though!!

Great advice Scorpion! I'm wondering if his Trendnet router acts like a LinkSys router in the same way that if he has enabled Port(s) Forwarding and DMZ, then the Port(s) Forwarding will take priority over the DMZ setting, thereby making the DMZ setting useless. If he has the wrong Port(s) Forwarded, then DMZ cannot kick into action.

When it gets to that point in the troubleshooting, I'd recommend disabling Port(s) Forwarding and stick with DMZ.

However, having setup the correct IP Address in the DVR and Enabling it, one would think it would respond to a Ping regardless of Port(s) Forwarding issues.

Maybe it's a simple as the Cat-5 cable.

Yeah, I got the impression he was trying from the LAN so I wouldn't think ports or DMZ would be an issue yet. He did try new patch cables but didn't mention if a different port on the switch was tried.

I would run Angry IP Scanner. It's a free small utility that will scan your whole network. Great for finding "lost" devices. I don't think you will find the DVR but I would run it anyway. Just to see...

Hey Scorpion, I did not have to say a thing, you already took care of that, but nice job, your amazing!

Problem Solved!

I got the DVR screens to display on my PC. I emailed technical support for Sentinel CCTV on their website but I got no response. I read the last post Friday evening and then I went back and double checked all settings again Saturday.

This is what I discovered in getting everything to work with the model I have. I read the IP address on the DVR and found that there was extra information in the IP address numbers which caused all the confusion on the network. 192.168.001.150 is the default address of the DVR. The true IP address was 192.168.1.5. (I didn't add the extra 00's at any point).

Angry IP Scanner made all the difference in the world because I could now see whether or not I really had 3 devices actually present. Thats how I saw the correct IP address of the DVR which wasn't 192.168.1.150 but 192.168.1.5.

The DMZ settings or port forwarding had nothing to do with the communication problem. It really was just plug in the router and find the right IP addresses of all the devices. So I set 192.168.1.3 for the PC then 192.168.1.5 for the DVR and 192.168.1.1 for the router with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I used XP TCP/IP repair to reset the TCP and Winsock files on the PC. I rebooted the DVR CCTV and I was in business when I opened Netview on the PC.

Thank You everybody that took the time to post in this message and for all the great advice. I appreciate it very much. I hope I can help someone in the future with what I've learned or maybe another issue.

Tools I used

Angry IP Scanner

XP TCP/IP Repair