kiwi44

Flightless kiwi - LAN / WAN IP problems Swann DVR Guardian

hi All

Really appreciate any and all help forum members can provide re this- as until i do so I"m a flightless kiwi - firstly because i"m tearing all my hair /feathers out and secondly until I know I can check up on the house while away i'm not going anyway

I have a Swann USB DVR Guardian connected via usb to my vista laptop

That in turn is connected via Dlink DSL-G604T ADSL Modem / Router to the outside world

No problems there..

Also no problems viewing live feed and remote playback on my laptop and even on my ipaq PDA by going to 10.1.1.5:1158

And yes, apologies this is where the problem kicks in - I cant for the life of me figure out what i'm doing wrong thats stopping me from viewing from WAN / ie internet cafe / work / other peoples networks etc.

As far as I am aware I have opened and forwardedall the necessary ports (1158 for webservice 1159 and 1160 for remote live viewing and 1161 for remote playback) , disabled necessary firewalls etc.

Yet I still cant access my cctv from the outside world

I"ve read what appears to be every article re port forwarding etc but clearly I"m missing something..

IPconfig/all shows my local ipv address as 10.1.1.3

As mentioned I access the webservice by typing 10.1.1.5:1158

What address should I be forwarding?

What address(es) do I need to set static? (I keep hearing about this?) and how and if will that affect my PDA being able to access internet / email etc

Also if relevant: As DVR is connected via USB when i'm using it it is connected physically to the laptop - I therefore have the option of connecting my laptop to the router via network /lan cable if that makes things easier, however dont wont to loose the ability to surf web etc wirelessly when i"m not using cctv

Honestly I'd be eternally grateful for anyone that helps me get this working as its causing a few difficulties witth the wife with the amount of time I'm spending on this.

Happy to provide more info if needed

That seems contradictory - is 10.1.1.3 your router's address and 10.1.1.5 your laptop's address?

http://www.swannsecurity.com/webfiles/download/728728pcdvr_USB_and_PCI_Generic_diagram_ESG.pdf

Check out this Quick-Start brochure - Is this your model? If so, it lists the ports that need to be forwarded in the router and in your DVR software. They are not the same ports you listed here.

What happened to the tech support from where you bought it from?

What did they say?

"Contact your internet provider this is not a problem with our hardware."

(sorry I had to say it scorp)

Have you double checked the ip that you're using for the outside world to make sure it's correct? (www.whatismyip.com)

Also make sure since it's going through your computer that the internal windows firewall has the dvr cards programs as an exception in the windows firewall management system.

Thanks,

John

Hey John!

How is he seeing the cameras with his PDA with a local ip??

The device looks interesting!!

I use a lot of Swann products, and I have been happy with the wireless cams, and I am happy with those.

Hey! If you guys want something really cool for Father's Day then tell your wife to get the C7101 DVR Sunglasses and Button Color Camera Set from CCTVIMPORTS!!

I have used one of these, and they are really nice!!

Good for pranks!

Hi all - Forum doesent want to let me send reply / update i've typed as it states i'm new etc and preventing me sending personal info (which i'm not).

Will try break reply down into a few posts

Hi all..

Firsly yes its the same model and good spotting I did change ports from what are set by default but I have definately made sure to change them in the dvr setup so unfortunately thats no the problem.

Sorry I also made a typo above and you are correct re being contradictory -My Laptop ip is 10 1 1 5 (not .3 as in initial post) and yes I can access dvr remotely from in my lan on 10 1 1 5:1158 from either laptop or PDA. Initially to download software on PDA (which is wirelessly connected to my lan) I type in 10 1 1 5:1158 in the ipaq's IE address bar and it downloads and installs the software etc. From there I can then run ''Pocket cam'' on my Ipaq and connect to server 10 1 1 5:1158 to watch live feed of CCTV cameras.

I have contacted Swann but they although trying to help they pretty much just refer me to that portforward site etc and other related articles..As a result iInternet research lead me to this forum which seems to be the best available.

I hope I have narrowed it down to needing to set a static IP address for my laptop and then needing to forward the ports from there but confirmation from other forum readers would be great... There also seems to be conflicting info from my isp's info sheets to what I find on web as to if I'm setting a Static IP address on my dlink DSL-G604T do I need to disable DHCP or not:

''..when the router has been enabled as a DHCP server the admin of the server can assign a static IP address to each computer on the LAN from the workstation where the DHCP server has been enabled..''

That said I"m still a little confused as to why if i've put the current Lan ip address of my laptop (10 1 1 5) in my DMZ why I would not be able to access cameras remotely etc as should that not allow any incoming requests ?

When i've checked the status of my ports from another computer outside of my network it confirms ports 1158 1159 1160 and 1161 are open which are the ones I"ve setup in the DVR setup

web:1158

DVR Data: 1159

DVR COMM: 1160

DVR RMPB: 1161

Finally - yes i've checked my external ip and although it changes each time I turn off computer or restart router I always check and try the current one each time before I go to internet cafe etc to test

Does it help anyone that I have during my various experiments managed to remotely reach my routers config page by entering my external ip address from cafe's etc (i've since disabled port 80 to stop this)

Thanks again for help!!! as this is getting expensive in internet cafe fees (for repeated testing) and the Wife's getting a little annoyed with the time its taking

Ps: yes the Unit itself is actually quite good but was purchased mainly for the remote access ability

Also make sure since it's going through your computer that the internal windows firewall has the dvr cards programs as an exception in the windows firewall management system.

Thanks,

John

Yeah thanks john can be assured its not that as currently all firewall disabled

That seems contradictory - is 10.1.1.3 your router's address and 10.1.1.5 your laptop's address?

Check out this Quick-Start brochure - Is this your model? If so, it lists the ports that need to be forwarded in the router and in your DVR software. They are not the same ports you listed here.

To confirm 10.1.1.5 is local (hopefully now static ) ip address of laptop

Router is 10.1.1.1

Media Server Program (which CCTV uses for remote web playback) is showing as running also on 10.1.1.5

Changing to a static IP (on the PC) is not going to fix anything, it's just a common sense long-term thing to do if you are setting up a virtual server or opening ports. BTW, that is what you are doing right - setting this up in the Virtual Server menu by adding rules? This is the area where the problem lies, so be sure you are doing it correctly!

Rather than set a static IP in the traditional way on a host, which entails other parameters too, many routers allow the DHCP-assigned address to simply be fixed for a particular hardware address allowing all the other advantages of DHCP to be retained. I think the 604 will do this under LAN Clients.

However, if you do use a static IP, keep DHCP enabled but place the static address outside the DHCP range such as 10.1.2.3. Don't forget to enter your network (255.0.0.0) and DNS (10.1.1.1) in the PC's TCP/IP settings.

One last thing I've found about this router (I have one) is that every once in a while it locks up. My solution, since I am away for months sometimes is to place it on a timer which powers it off for a minute every night. Oh, and I leave the router's remote admin intact with password but on a port other than 80. Handy for troubleshooting in case something goes wrong.

Just looking at the quick start guide:

Port 80 used for initial download of remote viewing software

webcamera service, data port 1159, control port 1259

remote playback service port 13551

I noticed DSE has this item on sale for NZ$150. Does it give good quality video?

Just looking at the quick start guide:

Port 80 used for initial download of remote viewing software

webcamera service, data port 1159, control port 1259

remote playback service port 13551

I noticed DSE has this item on sale for NZ$150. Does it give good quality video?

Hey fellow Kiwi - yeah not to bad actually and even better now that I have it working remotely !!! 25 fps PAL Mode and perfect if you only have laptop and cant install pci card etc.

Thanks all for help getting working and kiwi for the price a good buy altough check Trademe for generic copies (non Swann brand) that do same thing !!!

Hey kiwi44,

I justed wanted to know what changes did you have to make to get your system up, and running?

I did not know if it was one particular item, or a series of items that resolved your issue?

Thanks!

Hey kiwi44,

I justed wanted to know what changes did you have to make to get your system up, and running?

I did not know if it was one particular item, or a series of items that resolved your issue?

Thanks!

Good question !!! To be honest I cant tell what exactly did it (or shudder to think It may have been simply a an issue with the cafe's computer it was trying to check it from)

Changed IP address in LAN to static

Disabled DHCP server

Dispite having temp disabled windows and macafee firewall found another section for program permissions etc (you'd think if firewall is off then its off ?)

and finally ''borrowed'' (people need to set security !!!) my neighbours unsecured wireless network to check and hey presto it was working !!!