AlienIntelligence

High Heat Install! Arizona! It's Summer!

Ok, so I did a good amount of googling to make sure I'm

not asking a question that has been asked ad nauseam

and I have only seen it asked once before and not really

answered.

The post was from '05 and the guy was needing cameras

for a "mine in West Australia (hot 55c+)"

Since I just joined the forum, I cannot simply PM the

author of the thread and ask how it worked out.

Now, 3 years later, maybe someone has some experience

in the subject of high heat installs?

I'm not new to cameras but... WOW... I'm new to these

ambient temperatures.

So, most cameras spec at 50deg C. And even as hot as

it gets here in Arizona, I haven't seen above 48.5C in

any inhabited desert areas. Ambient.

I had the forethought to hit a few potential areas for best

camera positions with a IR thermometer and the surfaces

were very shy of 50C. Less than a half deg C from 50.

The install positions will never have sun after 7am in the

AM and the PM sun, never before 6pm, late/early summer

and no sun mid summer. So, directed sun heating isn't a

concern but the reradiated heat from the surrounding, (a

good, deep soffit).

Oh, and until mid July and August I am not concerned in

the least about rain. -=) So, solutions can be seasonal

in nature.

Success stories? Horror stories? Anyone?

thanks in advance,

-Marc

Our ambient never exceeds 30 C but I've had the same concerns with my home-built housings as they sit *directly* in the sun all day. To resist radiated heat (direct or redirected,) shields (made of a low thermally-conductive material) spaced off the housing are the obvious solution - cooled by air flowing in the gap. I suspect that will be enough given the fact that you don't have direct sun, but if needed perhaps a Peltier cooler could be used - attached to the metal camera body (assuming a box cam.)

It might be possible to find cameras with a higher ambient spec, but I doubt they would be competitively priced. I'd be inclined to try out a standard camera for a year and see how it goes. I haven't had the slightest problem myself.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12871&highlight=

Being in Arizona I have some solutions for you.

Use a camera that is in an enclosure that has both a heater and a blower. (we do get low temps here as well).

If the camera inside the enclosure can't handle the heat you can put in a pelteir cooler with the cool side against the enclosure where the fan is blowing and the hot side facing the exterior. just make sure the cooler is rated for the voltage you are using and size the wires according to the current needs. Sizing of the cooler will vary on the camera specs for temp range and the size of the enclosure. When sized correctly the cooler will lower the temp by 40 degrees from ambient.

Since you said the cameras won't be in the sun during the heat of the day, most cameras should be OK in your situation in the above style enclosure.

Ok, well those are two good suggested solutions.

When the monsoon hits, I definitely am going to

explore the PVC housing solution.

I am concerned with current draw when adding

TEC. I will then have Camera + Audio + TEC.

If I add a blower and/or heater... I will soon

have some real watts being pulled.

I'd still like to hear stories success or otherwise

with high temp installs.

Anyone else? Rooney and I can't be the only

ones living in hades =)

thanks!

-Marc

I've lived in Phoenix my whole life and I've seen my fair share of shotty installs. Exposed cameras in direct sun, enclosed cameras without a blower in direct sun etc. The cameras I've replace in those situation still worked, but had some image distortion and definately shortens the life of the camera. Most cameras are rated for 122 degrees (50 deg C) and you shouldn't have a problem if you use a blower or install under an eave out of direct sunlight. Anyone remember June 26, 1990 when it was 122 degrees?

Simple answer? get a decent housing with good sealers and with heater and blower built in... regardless how high or low the temperature gets in Arizona, decent housing will work...

I worked with quite of few people in Arizona and all have few of the packages that I am referring too.. When heat goes up during the day, the fans do excellent job to maintain constant temperature for the cameras or at night, heater kicks in and maintains the same..

Just do not go with some cheapo crap just for sake of doing it, rather go with some good brand package and there are many to choose from, that will do the job...

All the majors make them... and you have the choice for various configurations from tubular type, to rectagular or some design version and then you can get them all aluminum or high-impact polymer construction..

One of my favorite is from American Dynamics - ADCH10HBMT8 that comes with heater and blower built in and works very well... pricing should be around $100.00, but it delivers the goods..

A blower is just something else to overheat and go bad. Never had any issues in our heat without blowers.

i am in the same boat as you, but i will be getting direct sunligh. i picked up some board cameras that have a operating range up to 50C and was thinking of modeling up a enclosure w/ fan - these will be indoors but in the window sill (?), so they will get some high temps. once i get it all going, i will see how the cameras fair this next summer....

just wanted to update this post. the cameras are huntcctv cameras - their b/w board camers either the regular resolution or the high, not exactly sure and i believe they are of a bit older design than the current ones - need to verify this. but, the cameras are still working and i just took some temp measurements as it is 110F outside right now and they are in direct sunlight as it is 15:30 my time. my infrared thermometer reads up to 180F on the front of the camera in certain areas, but mostly ~120-150F - quality of image is still good and they have been on 24/7 for some time now. no warping of the plastic lense and still very sharp. there is a slight amount of air moving around the cameras as they are inside but not much - very little as they are behind the drapes and blackout curtains. we keep the condo @ 80F so it is not like it is super cool in here either. surprised they have lasted this long to be honest