Larryb227

Camera problems at night

I have a system installed at a storage unit. One of the cameras was recently replaced and is a cheap camera. I thought it would at least give a usable picture at night but not the case. It has the halo look. I found that the IR ring board around the lens was not well glued. I repaired that but it is still the same. This camera is really unusable at night. Daytime picture is acceptable.

I looks like the black ring just out side of the lens should block the IR's from being seen reflecting from the lens cover or glass.

Any hints would be appreciated. (I have ordered a much better camera.) Just thought If I can make this one usable I would.

thanks larryb

Other than the ring problem, it also sounds like it is not throwing enough IR to where you need it.

What is it a 30 foot IR bullet?

How far is the area that you are watching from the camera, and how high is the camera mounted?

Other than the ring problem, it also sounds like it is not throwing enough IR to where you need it.

How far is the area that you are watching from the camera, and how high is the camera mounted?

Camera is about 18 feet in the air on the side of a building. I think the IR is enough but the ring just over powers it. I was going to try to push the camera board, lens closer to the glass. It seems the barrier around the lens is not doing the job. I have 3 other cameras that are like it so their coverage is ample.

Larryb

Hi it might be worth putting a ring of sponge around the camera lens which rests on the glass, one suggestion I heard, was to use the sponge ring that comes with the bulk cd containers.

HTH

That would be a good idea. I tried black tape and it improved the unit quite a bit. I'll try your idea as it would less affected by heat.

LarryB

i've had similar problem with some crappy ir bullets.

in some light conditions - near complete or complete darkness it was overamplyfing the signal making bleach halo and rest of the image unusable.

was one damn nightmare job. at first i couldn't understand what's the problem.

i couldnt reproduce the effect in the lab because for some reason it worked there perfectly - probably because light reflected from the walls and overall lighting was above threshold. drove me pretty mad.

after analysing the video signal on the site with a scope i came to a sad conclution that i will have to replace 28 ir bullest scattered over huge car service center with carwash, store and hydraulic jacks.

Just to follow up on this problem. I have changed out the one camera that was causing me the ring problem. It was an IR480 SN or at least that is the only number I have on the camera.

I installed a G4-400HPT and it does not have a ring and does a fair job. The area I have this camera set up is a distance of 60 feet and the camera states 120 feet for the IR's. I do not see this. It has trouble with the 60 feet at night. I also have another camera looking at nearly the same area and it is a IR550VDNSN and the pictures are about like the 400 except at night.

Thanks

Larryb

[/img]

1068254541_topLIR500bottomRG4-400.jpg.795fdf5a80aad1660dfac1b773fb6af2.jpg

1105616650_G4-400camera.jpg.5c9f0bcaed7b8bb426f20ad4f3c9a671.jpg

I would second what scorpion said about adding a few IR illuminators. Think it would really improve your night shots.