568B

Monitors CRT vs LCD

CRT's seem to be much more crisp and detailed than the LCD monitors. I know there are many advantages to the LCD screen BUT I have compared side by side the CRT and LCD with noticeable results favoring the CRT. Can anyone recommend a 19" - 21" LCD monitor with crisp lines? It really embarrassing when the customer asks if the camera is out of focus when really its the LCD OR asking them to back up 8 feet when they are at their desk.

Please help....

CRT's seem to be much more crisp and detailed than the LCD monitors. I know there are many advantages to the LCD screen BUT I have compared side by side the CRT and LCD with noticeable results favoring the CRT. Can anyone recommend a 19" - 21" LCD monitor with crisp lines? It really embarrassing when the customer asks if the camera is out of focus when really its the LCD OR asking them to back up 8 feet when they are at their desk.

Please help....

Your customers do the same thing as ours, sucks don't it?

I haven't ran into any great LCD monitors as they are liquid crystal vs the tube / crt that are in the much larger monitors. If you do find a very high quality flat panel point me in their direction as well so we can demo one and possibly start buying them as well!

Best ones I've seen (haven't bought yet) would be http://tinyurl.com/58vfls they are from the company Jinsong but I'm talking to another company that will be sending me specs on their monitors tomorrow which are supposed to be upwards of 600+tvl and 1080P capable resolution on their LCD's.

We try to get HRez cameras which help. But what a difference with the CRT'S.

The main problem is that CRT's are going the way of vacuum tubes and other "obsolete" technologies. Many major producers of CRT's have discontinued production:

July 27, 2001: "Hitachi Ltd. said it would stop making cathode-ray tubes for PC monitors this year to focus on flat-panel production."

March 1, 2002: "Mitsubishi has become the first company to announce the discontinuation of tube manufacture as it shifts to other display technologies. "

April 15, 2003: "Corning Plans to Cease Production of CRT Television Glass In North America"

Nov. 10, 2003: "Toshiba Corp. said Friday it will halt the manufacturing of cathode ray tubes (CRTs) for use in television sets at its plant in Hyogo Prefecture by Sept. 30, 2004, thus ending the firm's CRT output operations in Japan. "

Dec 27, 2005: "Taiwan's production of cathode ray tube (CRT) television sets may cease soon as leading domestic TV producers, including Taiwan Kolin Co., Proton Electronic Industrial Co., Sampo Corp., and Teco Electric & Machinery Co., are going to either move their production lines abroad or completely stop making CRT TV sets here."

Aug. 1, 2006: "Panasonic Taiwan to stop CRT TV production in 2-3 years"

Sept. 6, 2007: "Sharp will end production of “as of November.â€

Fully understand that all CRT's are going away. I like the LCD's: Safer to wall mount, easy to move, creates much more room, can be used off the network. The problem is the LCD image has SOFT lines when your 2 feet away, once you back up is does "become" more crisp. We spend a great deal of time focusing these hi end cameras and yet the LCD display is just not as crisp as a CRT. It’s the customer with the CRT who is "upgrading" who really sees the difference.

It’s the customer with the CRT who is "upgrading" who really sees the difference.

Have to agreee with that....

We have tested many LCD units and found the Panasonic WV-LD2000A to be the only one that can compete with a tube monitor for qualilty. Around $800.00.

waiting for SED to hit the market at a low cost. it uses CRT technology but micro sized times 1000 or something like that.

waiting for SED to hit the market at a low cost. it uses CRT technology but micro sized times 1000 or something like that.

Sorry but don't hold your breath for SED, it is probably a dead technology. The patent wars between Canon/Toshiba and Nano-Proprietary have effectively killed it.

But there's still OLED

is it possible to get CRT smaller than the usual mac truck size screen? You would think by now there would be something better than CRT?

I know, i usually do, I meant for the head end. Is there any LCD or other that does justice like CRT? Just wondering if much has changed in the past 5 years.

I have been out of the loop for three years since I moved to Norway. I have installed a few cameras systems here but not anything close to what I did in New York. I started a business in Norway working in several branches, ex-pat services, IT and security systems. Norway is pretty safe so have not been much CCTV, access and alarm work,(general market). Lot of IT though.

We now have major contacts in the oil industry here and I want to push high end only CCTV and access. Looking for good products to install. In NY I worked with Kalatel(GE interlogics), Phillips, Dedicated Micros, American Dynamics, Pelco, Sony, Rapid Eye, IDView and more for DVR's. Access was mainly three types, Northern Computers,(Ademco), Kantech and Casi Rusco access control panels. Things have changed big time in only three years.

(Forgive spelling mistakes)

I have been playing with Omnivision for CCTV, pretty nice except for all the stupid licenses. I have looked at few others and I can not find the "one". I checked out Avigilon-That is nice. Wonder if I could get it in europe?

Any recommendation on high-end access and CCTV? I would like to stay with mega-pixel cameras and NVR's. Also on access, are there any true network control panels? Hated casi when power went out, battery dies it had to try to connect to the host PC to reload its information.

I have been playing with Omnivision for CCTV, pretty nice except for all the stupid licenses.

That seems to be the standard model for manufacturers in europe. Our DVR system (FAST division of NICE) has the same thing: Ringbuffer licenses, 4CIF licenses, audio licenses, maintenance licenses, transcoder licenses. We're up to our ears in licenses!!!

Omnivison seems to have nearly a 100 licenses. I don't mind the licenses if I can get a system that is easy to use for the clients sake.

We have tested many LCD units and found the Panasonic WV-LD2000A to be the only one that can compete with a tube monitor for qualilty. Around $800.00.

The only issue I see is that the native resolution is only 640x480. While that is probably the best match for analog and standard resolution IP cameras, it wouldn't do justice to megapixel cameras or on the VGA output of many DVR/NVR stystems.

it was once pointed out in a text on discussion of this question that LCD monitor, compared with CRT, still existed shortcomings in certain specification fields, such as brightness, contrast, visual angle, response time, lifespan and production, which had limited its promotion. But as the fast development of LCD technology, it was believed that it will develop fast and take up more and more markets of monitor. It was also estimated that the CRT will replaced by LCD in the coming three or five years or even be eliminated in some market totally. While today, as the great development of advanced technology in color, brightness, contrast, visual angle (nearly 180°)and the response time which can let eyes of people be adaptable totally, LCD has tried its best to eliminate its shortcomings. Moreover, with its advantages in thin design, environmental friendly, and energy-saved, it is very possible that the CRT will be replaced by LCD in the near future. In European countries, due to the components with lead in CRT, which is contradictory with the ROHS principle, so the CRT has been regarded as a exception temporarily. But with forbidden one day in the future in some countries or regions..

Are you saying that CRT's will be outlawed by some countries? Why is that? While CRT production does use some chemicals that can be harmful to the environment, the same is also true of LCD and plasma screens:

"Flat screen TVs blamed for accelerating global warming"

A gas used in the making of flat screen televisions, nitrogen trifluoride (NF3), is being blamed for damaging the atmosphere and accelerating global warming.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/03/2293369.htm?section=justin

From Wikipedia:

"NF3 is a potent greenhouse gas, with a global warming potential (GWP) 17,200 times greater than that of CO2 when compared over a 100 year period.[5][6] Its GWP would place it second only to SF6 in the group of Kyoto-recognised greenhouse gases, although NF3 is not currently included in that grouping. It has an estimated atmospheric lifetime of 740 years,[5] although recent work suggests a slightly shorter lifetime of 550 years (and a GWP of 16,800)."