Larryb227

NV3000 with four cameras, slow in playback

I view the system in two places. One in the shop thru the internet same building as the system and the other is at home about 6 miles away. The home DSL speed is 6mb where the shop is 3mb. The shop is considerably faster when viewing playback real time.

Both systems have a Linksys router and DSL modem.

OS in all cases is MS XP.

Update: I can't believe no one has not had this problem. Everyone's video playback on "remote" "realtime" playback is fast! doubt it.

Thanks

LarryB

No thats just how it works, remote playback is alsmost always limited by the upstream pipe at the DVR end. Since you have DSL that can be rather slow, less then 1/100th the available bandwith as you have locally.

DSL is quoting you download speeds, you should be more concerned about upload speeds.

Make your cameras set to MPEG4 or H.264 for the best senario but you will only get like 7fps in CIF locally and like 3 in D1.

No thats just how it works, remote playback is alsmost always limited by the upstream pipe at the DVR end. Since you have DSL that can be rather slow, less then 1/100th the available bandwith as you have locally.

DSL is quoting you download speeds, you should be more concerned about upload speeds.

Make your cameras set to MPEG4 or H.264 for the best senario but you will only get like 7fps in CIF locally and like 3 in D1.

I have them set to MPEG4 now.

My question is how come if I view from the shop where I use the same IP address via the internet, it is much faster. Not the System PC but another computer that also views thru the remote playback and realtime.

If that is how it works it really not usable.

Thanks for the reply.

It works better because your router is smart enough to see the external request is really internal and the request never leaves your network. Linksys is one of the manufaturers whose routers behave this way.

Increase the upload bandwith for better streaming to remote locations. Cable internet is usually better about this however each ISP's package needs to be evaluated.

Hello I use avermedia, and usually love it. I did have the same problem with nv3k and ended up going to the nv5000 and that has much better recording and playback. it is capable of 120 fps and the nv3000 is only 30 fps. split by the number of cameras etc...

part of the reason you internal network is faster than the outside network is this: the network is 10/100 and that all can be used to run as fast as the equipment will allow. but with DSL your down may be 3 or 6 mb, but your up speed, which is what you are using when sending camera video to your home or outside location is probably 512k max. So you are really pushing you dsl line to it's max to send that data over the line, and it just cannot go as fast as your internal network. I have a friend's business with 10 Mb up & down, (NICE) but the nv3000 is still jumpy and lucky to send 7 fps (usually 5 or 6) and the nv5000 is much better. So there it is the card specs that are limiting the quality. I hope I helped...much trial & error.

mjharris00

Appreciate the input. Bottom line is your are suggesting NV5000 if I want to have faster playback speed via a remote location.

I have to check and see what I would have to do to install the 5000 and how much that would set me back.

It seems the NV system is the limiting factor. Or is the DSL line the limiting factor. Otherwise I would think that the 5000 would not help much due to the upload speed of the DSL.

Do I only need to change the Card or would I have to change other items also? NV3000 to 5000 card change.

Thanks

larryb

NV5000 will not effect your remote viewing, I have and sell both.

Local viewing though the NV5000 will be night and day difference though.