antdickens

noisey night pictures

Any advice for the use of low light / ir for dark areas.

I have recently bought a couple of domes with IR's built in, they claim some impressive distances for the IR's but i have learnt to diregard these. The picture is fine during the day but when the light dips the picture gets very 'noisey'.

I thought this may be down to the cameras trying to amplify the signal due to the low light so i bought some extra IR illuminators but this did not improve the quality of the picture.

I have decided to replace the cameras and i think i am going to use a camera with an IR cut filter. Should this give a nice clear BW image in low light?

Also can ex-view cameras see IR light?

Thanks

it really depends on the camera.

What type of camera do you want to use: Bullet, Professional, Etc.?

Whats the budget?

Day Night with an IR Cut Filter will give you a better day time image. The spectral range of the camera determines how well it picks up Infrared Lighting. Most cameras that have good spectral ranges will say what they are in their data sheets.

Also, what type of IR Lighting did you buy?

Rory

I just need a discreet camera. I had put up vandal domes which i had painted black and located up near the gutters.

I have just ordered a pelco P60HLT bullet which i am going to try.

The Ir lights are 850nm 20 degree units with 98 led in.

Okay, well see some examples of High End Infrared here to give you an idea of what it should look like. Its actually clearer on the monitor, this is compressed images captured over the internet.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/ms/portfolio.asp

The cameras at the bottom is the ExtremeCCTV EX-45 dome with LRX, costs around $700! The 40' LED is around $100. They have 164' LEDs for $350, and go up as high as 2400' Bulbs.

Panasonic Has a Day Night Wide Dynamic Dome, not too discreet though, but supposed to be a really good camera. GE has an Exview Day Night Dome with a Spectral response of 750-1100nm. Sanyo also has a good Day Night I have used it but not in an IR situation, though Im sure it will perform as I have used other day night Sanyos for IR situations and it was great quality, just wansnt a dome.

Panasonic and Sanyo do not say what their Spectral response is, though I have used the Traditional Camera Version of the Sanyp Dome for IR and that is on my portfoio page. I have also used the Sanyo and it is a good Dome with good day and good BW images. Pano I have not tested yet, but it is supposed to be a very good camera, Im actually installing the tradiotional camera version of that next week for a Gas Station.

Most BW and True Day Night cameras will work good with Infrared, at least up to 850nm. Bullet cameras though I have used with IR were not impressive as far as quality goes.

Also, not all Infrared Lights are the same, what brand is it? I used some cheap spots before that claimed 100' but didnt come close and quality was shabby. I then upgraded to Extreme CCTV Infrared products and it worked great ($$$ though)

Rory

Edited by Guest

If you're using a day/night camera, I'd suggest an IR corrected lens (some manufacturers call it a day/night lens). Less headaches!

From Tamron: "Note: IR lenses are specifically designed for day/night cameras to be IR corrected when camera goes into "Night" mode and maintain focus. IR lenses may also be used with standard cameras."

Nowadays yes, not much more $$, but just fyi, before these Day/Night lenses were available around 3 years back (maybe they were but were not everywhere then) i used a Sanyo High Res Day Night, normal auto iris tamron lens, and its great Probably depends on the quality of the camera and its IR response also.

Rory

What i have done is to boost my light source at night using dusk to dawn high pressure sodium lighting(Regent wall packs). You can get these from menards or home depot. I use mostly 50 watt around the house and these really light up the yard and street. The bulbs last 10 times longer than conventional bulbs and put out about 4 times the lumens. I use sony 1/3 color dome cameras and they work pretty good. It is a little grainy at night but i am surprised at how good these work. I had heard that the infrareds were just gimmicky and you seem to acknowledge this yourself. Try boosting your light source with HPS lighting and let me know how it works. thanks

I have installed the pelco bullet cameras and the difference is amazing. You deifinitely get what you pay for!

No need for additional ir lights