Mario_X

DVR in car?

hi all -

n00b here. i've been wanting to set up a video surveillance in my car (front and rear). i want it to be similar to what the police use and it should capture sound. what are some good systems for this? thanks

Naturally you would want a mobile 4-channel DVR. I would use four color board or bullet cameras, something small that doesn't draw too much attention when parked.

Having two cameras front and two rear allows you to have either a wide and telephoto each, or point each pair slightly to either side and "add" the views horizontally.

I tried the latter method, 3.8mm lens giving about 154 degrees total both front and rear, a really panoramic view but I couldn't read license plates. However, stopped at a pedestrian crosswalk or traffic light I could see both left and right curbs.

Think about what you are trying to achieve and pick the method to suit. I placed a microphone near the drivers seat so that I could simply recite a license plate if needed rather than have to read it off the video.

The only problem with recording sound in my case is that my recordings mostly consisted of me talking to myself or cursing at other drivers.

There are several mobile DVRs available out there. There are also PC104 DVR kits which you can use to build these.

For those of you with law enforcement problems I have a suggestion on a covert camera that would be great, but I do not want to post this suggestion in the "open". Post here then I will PM you with the suggestion.

It give a great view of the driver's door. Some law enforcment approach from the passenger's side at first, and you have to prepare for that as well.

Those in the biz are probably familiar with it.

"For those of you with law enforcement problems I have a suggestion on a covert camera that would be great, but I do not want to post this suggestion in the "open". Post here then I will PM you with the suggestion."

Does this sound like someone who has experienced these situations, and all along I thought He was a law abiding honest citizen.

Darn it RickA you know me too well!

No, I just did not want to revel publically what may be used by narcotics, and other "stings" in video surveillance.

Scorpion, I would appreciate that information as well (I've been in similar situations).

I would PM you but it doesn't seem the system will allow me yet.

Do you need video only, or do you need a package that gives you remote notification, of driver's door/brake pedal with remote lock, and remote kill switch, and remote video?

Do you need video only, or do you need a package that gives you remote notification, of driver's door/brake pedal with remote lock, and remote kill switch, and remote video?

Scorpion, can you send me both options, I have a friend in private security and this may be just what he is looking for.

Thanks

The package that I was describing was more for ATTF Auto Theft Task Force sting investigations, or Narcotics investigations.

For PI work then I would recommend a completely different package. It would be alot more affordable.

It depends on what he specializes in. Some PI only work with insurance companies, and others work for Marital situations, and others work for Lawyers.

Depending on his case load, then I would set him up with something that can be flexable, and change, and adapt as different cases come up.

If he always did high end work then you can use the package that I describe. Most PI do not need live streaming video. They can track vehicles with battery operated GPS devices, and create "geo fences". Geo fences can be to notify you that someone has entered a zone such as an exhusband who violates a 500 foot restraining order, or you can set up a geo fence in a known drug neighborhood to see if your target is going back in the area.

I would have to know what kind of work he does, and what his budget is.

The package that I was describing was more for ATTF Auto Theft Task Force sting investigations, or Narcotics investigations.

For PI work then I would recommend a completely different package. It would be alot more affordable.

It depends on what he specializes in. Some PI only work with insurance companies, and others work for Marital situations, and others work for Lawyers.

Depending on his case load, then I would set him up with something that can be flexable, and change, and adapt as different cases come up.

If he always did high end work then you can use the package that I describe. Most PI do not need live streaming video. They can track vehicles with battery operated GPS devices, and create "geo fences". Geo fences can be to notify you that someone has entered a zone such as an exhusband who violates a 500 foot restraining order, or you can set up a geo fence in a known drug neighborhood to see if your target is going back in the area.

I would have to know what kind of work he does, and what his budget is.

it would be for personal/family security and to a lesser extent corporate security. the setup would depend on the situation, one client may need to be watched for abduction, one for this, one for that. I do not know and have never done in vehicle work before so I am looking for a jump off point to get started. Sorry to pull this topic away from OP but it came as I was thinking about the same subject.

For corporate security:

Step one: low level:

password protect cellphones, laptops, lock cars, learn defensive driving tactics, and take karate/judo/kung fu classes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_Fan_Gung_Fu

This is the "father" of today's mixed martial arts, and the forefather of todays UFC cage fighting.

This would be a good one to learn as it is most flexible to challenge "street fighting", or because you repect Bruce Lee's style of fighting.

HIGH LEVEL THREAT:

This is not for the "I might be kidnapped" this is for the "when I get kidnapped" protection.

Install special software in to the PDA's, and Laptops. You can track criminals when they use these devices. With the cellphone you can get word by word transactions of a criminal's email, or instant messages. With the email account you can track the user. If the criminal was smart then they would have set up their email account with anonymous names ect. NEWS FLASH! Criminal caught be Twitter!

With the laptop the moment someone opens it, and turns it on you get an automatic picture from the built in webcam. The laptop will "call home" sending you IP address, and other usable information for tracking.

What do you think?

Scorpion,

Covert video only at moment, mobile application, DVR, will later be remotely stored. The ability to add audio later on would be nice but not required for what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Wully

Scorpion , would you be kind enough to PM me with details about the in-car cameras ?

i have interest in designing covert cameras to lift the standard over what is currently available.

thanks.

mark

I'm looking for suggestions for a camera in my car. I have some extra Pelco 1390s... would they work well with a 4mm lens?

Don't see why not, should work fine with any C/CS-mount lens.