worble7

looking to setup a cctv system

ok heres the deal about a year ago my chevy truck was hitrun in frount of my house (nice) then just the other day my new dodge truck had the tailgate lifted so iam pissed off and want to setup or get someone to setup 2 cameras (high end) one to see in front of the house and one to see down the court (300-350 feet) i live at the end of the court so this is a good spot. i want a stand alone in the garage with a cable going to my personal computer Monitor in the house with a switch to go from one computer to the cctv is this posable?

i called a guy up and hes coming out on tues. 7/1/08 hes telling the 4mpag is clearer then the h264 i dont think so but would like your input please.

also iam not a rookie with computers so i think i can set this up myself with a little help. thanks jeff

ok heres the deal about a year ago my chevy truck was hitrun in frount of my house (nice) then just the other day my new dodge truck had the tailgate lifted so iam pissed off and want to setup or get someone to setup 2 cameras (high end) one to see in front of the house and one to see down the court (300-350 feet) i live at the end of the court so this is a good spot. i want a stand alone in the garage with a cable going to my personal computer Monitor in the house with a switch to go from one computer to the cctv is this posable?

i called a guy up and hes coming out on tues. 7/1/08 hes telling the 4mpag is clearer then the h264 i dont think so but would like your input please.

also iam not a rookie with computers so i think i can set this up myself with a little help. thanks jeff

I would not recommend setting up high end cameras to a capture card on your everyday computer. If the computer is for recording the cameras, and nothing else then I would agree to use your computer. Since you are computer savy then you can shut down the service that are not needed and you can make it a screamon deamon machine!

Watching the area at 300 feet is going to be difficult. If you get bids that are expensive then do not be surprised, or lower your specifications if the quotes are to far out of hand.

Question:

What is a stand alone that you want in the garage? Do you mean a stand alone DVR? If this is the case then we do not need to use your computer.

I would not recommend putting a DVR in a garage unless it is climate controlled.

If the DVR has a monitor out then you can use a KVM to switch between views. I would recommend having two monitors so that you can multitask.

You may miss a view while you are using the computer.

thanks for your help i guess i did not make myself clear happens alot

Question:

What is a stand alone that you want in the garage? Do you mean a stand alone DVR? If this is the case then we do not need to use your computer.

yes i dont want to use my personal computer just the same monitor with a swith to go from one computer to the next.

I would not recommend putting a DVR in a garage unless it is climate controlled.

i live in calif so its nice alot.

If the DVR has a monitor out then you can use a KVM to switch between views. I would recommend having two monitors so that you can multitask.

You may miss a view while you are using the computer.

i dont understand this part ?? but iam limited on space (i live in one of the bedrooms)

thanks jeff

how long can the kvm switch cables be? i would need them to reach from the garage to the bedroom thats about 60-70 feet is this doable. thanks jeff

Would a better option to hook the DVR up to the internet, and then view the DVR on the computer over the internet?

60 feet sounds doable. It would depend on the wiring used, and the style of installation.

You can use the composit video out.

http://www.channelvision.com/

http://www.channelvision.com/pdf/flyers/affinitycut.pdf

http://www.channelvision.com/pdf/support/guide/diagramsLayouts.pdf

One thing to remember, especially when you are in a Residential Environment, is to start out small. Just my personal opinion. Many homeowners believe that they can capture all sorts of crime(s) on video, but are usually "humbled" when they see the actual video. I turn down lots of installs , where a homeowner wants to get "facial recognition" from 100 feet away. I actually have a "demo camera" I take sometimes with me, to show what you are missing, when you try to capture a human head at 100 feet away ( get someones face to make up 40-50% of image). My suggestion, at first, is to try a simple 4-channel DVR, simple cameras. Keep at a certain budget. Then progress uphill from there, if need be. Watching a vehicle in a driveway is pretty basic. Once these local punks ( and most are local) find out you have cameras, they will stay away from your place, for the most part. An MPEG4 DVR is pretty basic to the industry, a good place to start.

cachecreekcctv,

hmm where are you located iam guessing by the name close to lake county (brooks) well maybe you can call me and we can talk cant pm yet have less then 10 post. thanks jeff