TonyC32

IP CCTV newbie! Some general home-user questions!

Hi all, I considered CCTV a few years back but put the project on hold due to some issues. Anyway, project is back on!

I'm looking into IP CCTV cameras. I like the idea of being able to hook up the camera to my router and stream the video to my PC (which is always on).

I'm looking for a camera to cover my driveway, preferably a dome camera.

Questions!

Am I right in thinking that I wont need to power the camera? It will draw power from the ethernet or does this depend on the model?

Below is a picture of the driveway. What mm camera would you recommend? As you might be able to tell the driveway is very short - only 15-18 feet!

83790_1.jpg

Where would be a good location for the camera? I was thinking below this middle window or maybe even in the top right of the picture. The PC is located in the room of the middle window.

Perhaps an option is top left on the black beam...however my concern with the camera being so high is that is wont capture faces.

Care to recommend a camera? I hear the Sony IP ones are good and I guess i'd spend up to £200 ($400).

Also, can you list the different software choices?

Any advice appreciated

You could try going with the AXIS 212 PTZ dome camera. This has a wide viewing angle which would be able to see your driveway if you place it near the center window.

if you don't want a PTZ solution, then you might consider something like this camera:

ACM-1231/ACM-1232

It is weatherproof, day/night, 1.3 MP, POE, and pretty low cost.

The varifocal lens goes down to 3.3mm. you will need a wide angle to cover that whole driveway.

ACTi also has the NVR Professional, which says its free up to 64 channels.

I have never used this camera, but it is very appealing.

I'm not quite sure the benefits of PTZ over other types guys....

However i've decided that POE probably wont be that good, i've just found out you need a special type of hub which I don't have. So normal power will have to do!

I'm not quite sure the benefits of PTZ over other types guys....

However i've decided that POE probably wont be that good, i've just found out you need a special type of hub which I don't have. So normal power will have to do!

PTZ, you manually can pan tilt zoom the camera, if you want auto, then you setup panning sequence(s).

probably overkill for the driveway, that's why I suggested the fixed camera.

1 port POE adapters are easy to find, should not be an issue.

Edited by Guest

The Axis 212ptz is for indoor use. The correct Axis product for you would be the Axis 225FD. It is a outdoor day/night dome with POE but if does require 12DC for the heater/blower. If you have to run a Cat5 cable to the camera location there shouldn't be a problem running a 2wire for power also.

Axis cameras come with 1 free recording license for 1 camera only.

You can also check out Vivotek 6111. Cheaper then the Axis but image quality is not as good.

Guys, I think AXIS is a bit out of my price range...the 225FD is $1500 over here!!!

I don't need something that good

Just maybe $400 on the camera, $200 on simple software to record straight to a PC hard drive. I hear panasonic cameras are quite good...

Forget IP - too expensive ! Get yourself a nice DVR and camera (yes I will be waiting for the abusive comments)

Moving onto location of the camera, the right hand side is the better location as you can look across the drive - normally I would install one camera on each side, but your bay window causes a problem. Perhaps you could fit one under the sofit to give a birds eye view and one at low level

I used to install cameras up high but now I install them about 8ft so you can get facial recognition. Below are a few examples I have installed to give you some idea on locations........

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm85/alanjh1965/IMG_2050.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm85/alanjh1965/IMG_2047.jpg

Here's the actual footage of shots with the cameras low down (including the wife!)........

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm85/alanjh1965/6.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm85/alanjh1965/4.jpg

AL

[/url]

Sorry to borrow this threat bro...

But want to find out..is there any wireless IP camera without any cable... even the power ....

sorry might be a noob question here...

Sorry to borrow this threat bro...

But want to find out..is there any wireless IP camera without any cable... even the power ....

sorry might be a noob question here...

No.

Tony, in my opinion you don't need vario lens, because of such short distance.

For 18 ft and typical 1/4" IP camera you need lens with focal length not more than 4 mm.

See picture for 3.3 mm lens bellow:

85568_1.jpg

I don't know what is the best camera height, so you can play yourself with paper calculator or lens calculation software.

But, probably it is better to put camera on second floor.