peskywinnets

12V PSU which DC end connector is the norm -2.1mm or 2.5mm?

Hi there,

My workplace are decommisioning a whole load of quality British 12V PSUs - I reckon I can raise a few bob by selling these. One potential market is the CCTV world.

The problem is that the PSU's present DC output cable has an abnormal connector on it - a PC 15Way D type....so I'll obviously have to change this for a stnadard 12V DC connector....therein lies the problem, it appears there's no such thing as a standard 12V connector!

What I've gleaned is that there tends to be two types of DC connector used when it comes to 12V PSUs..... an end with a hole that has a diamter of 2.1mm or a hole with a diameter of 2.5mm.

Does anyone have enough experience of CCTV installs to know which one is used the most?

I normally use the 2.1mm almost all the time. Most of the 12vdc cameras I buy, also have the same size fitting already wired in . They would be pretty easy to change over, though. I normally purchase them in pairs ( male and female to match).

I normally use the 2.1mm almost all the time. Most of the 12vdc cameras I buy, also have the same size fitting already wired in . They would be pretty easy to change over, though. I normally purchase them in pairs ( male and female to match).

2.1mm DC plugs are what we use also, we sell them in case customer do not want to cut the wires on the camera (warranty purposes) so they plug those male plugs in and run their wire to those.

Thanks,

John