odd ballz

Opinion: My experience with the AV-760M (so far)

Would you believe the simple solution in getting a Western Digital to talk with my DVR? Yes, simple solution. Forget all of those manuals, when the real world says, "put it on CS cable select", and you will have joy in your life. Sure enough, I have joy. Of course, I had to open a brand new IDE drive to confirm I had a working unit.

For the love of G**, why isn't this published anywhere??? It's so simple! Manuals need to be updated. And people need to share more information.

Hey, I believe in trial and error, and having the next guy get beat up for fairness, but why force others to live our paths, when some of you with working units have already experienced and lived it? Why in the world should we be forcing everyone else to go through that ritual? There are experts in this forum. Information sharing is what the internet is all about, right? I do appreciate those that spoke out, and provided guidance. I really do think a "sticky" should be built for the respective units to keep us all informed. This is a fun hobby, and I'm really excited about it. Sure, for one week, I was worried I had a dead unit... but what are the odds (no pun intended) that 2 people experience the same problem from different vendors especially when there are so many success stories?

Thanks for listening, and now, on to my next project... email/remote network/ftp server with the AV-760M.

Odd Ballz

Forget all of those manuals!

I think this was your problem in the first place. Where in the manual does it say to format a hard disk with fat 32??

A page number will do.

Two noobies were able to solve their own problems by comparing notes, and sharing information. Is this not what this site is for? I am proud of the both of you. I am glad that you were a help to another individual, and vice versa.

If the other individuals on this forum are like me then they work MON - FRI and on the weekend we have to go shopping for groceries, we have to take our children out to places as a "treat", we have to spend time with our wives to keep the "evil eyes" to a minimum, and we have to paint walls, fences, and maybe have a BBQ with friends, and relatives, and try to do some charity work on the side somewhere, and then try to be a productive help desk here on the forum.

I think the solution that you are asking for is to have the advertisers here pay a forum member $20.00 for every question that is answered. I bet this would generate a lot of activity on the weekends!!

I bet guys would be fightiing to be the first to make a post!!

I am sorry but the reality is that we are just volunteers, and we do our best to achieve what we can.

You are right, you are not alone with the exact same problem, yet I get the impression that you did not click on the DVR tab, and go through the old posts. I am sure you would have seen the same question you have about 20 different times.

What disapoints me is that you did not do a "Google" search for "AVTech", or "AVC 760", or "How to fix a hard drive on an AVTech DVR".

You will bump in to a website called scorpiontheater.com that provides a formidable list of information, and manuals of the many AVTech DVRs to include old forgotten ones, and manuals in a broad range of languages, and there is even a translator to help those of non english speaking individuals.

Edited by Guest

http://scorpiontheater.com/troubleshooting.aspx

AVTECH, CPCAM TECH SUPPORT!

CALL BEFORE YOU DIG!

CAN I RECORD AUDIO?

DEDICATED MICROS!

DVR JAVA APPLICATION FOR AVTECH!

FISA FOREIGN INTELLIGENCE SURVEILLANCE ACT!

HOW TO SET UP DNS FOR AVTECH DVRS!

HOW TO FIX YOUR VIDEO SOURCE PROBLEMS!

HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT CAMERA PROBLEMS!

HOW TO RUN WIRES FROM AN ATTIC WITH DRYWALL WALLS!

HOW TO NETWORK AVTECH, AND CPCAM DVRS!

HOW TO DO A HARDWARE RESET ON YOUR DVR!

HOW TO CHANGE THE CAMERA IMAGE LAYOUT ON AVTECH / CPCAM

IP VIDEO MARKET INFO!

PORTFOWARD INFORMATION!

PTZ PAN TILT, AND ZOOM CAMERAS

ROUTERS, AND INFORMATION!

STRUCTURED WIRING!

TELESCOPING MAST!

TOOLS OF PROS!

VIDEOS!

WIFI 802.11X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TECHNICAL INFORMATION, LINKS, AND DOWNLOADS

DVR LEARNING LAB!

CAMERA LEARNING LAB!

HIGH DEFINITION IP CAMERA LEARNING LAB!

WIRELESS CAMERA LEARNING LAB!

CAMERAS ON THE SPACE SHUTTLE!

CCTV MAGAZINES

SECURITY MANAGERS GUIDE TO VIDEO SURVEILLANCE PDF

Hey Scorpion, I have never seen you so riled, he definately pushed the wrong buttons. But I will tell you that you have hit some very good nails in this novel, we do work for a living and we do need time to spend with our families, and if we do not show our appreciation for you, then I for one am sorry, because without your input on some of these topics Rebco would have to work harder. Sorry I had to put that in, but I do agree with ya Scorpion.

I was speaking for all of us to some degree. I am not riled. I did not take his comments the wrong way.

I feel his pain as well!

There have been times where I was in a jam and I needed to rely on help from this forum, and I have to wait for that one individual to see my post, and sometimes I may have to wait 2, or 3 days before I get my answer as some of these experts check the forum every otherday.

I do not think the forum deserves his point of view that he cannot get his answer right away.

I think he is going to be a super value to this forum as now he knows how most of the posters that come to this forum feel when they are having "their" issue.

With his knowledge on AVTech AVC 760 then he can be a "first responder" for the next "emergency".

I was in the wrong, and I apologize to Odd Balls. If he felt that we are not a help to him then that is a sad situation for all of those that come here seeking guidance. I do not know how we can resolve his complaint to be "faster" at responding to posts for help.

Again Odd Balls, I am sorry.

Hey RickA!

You are the only one on the forum who makes me feel unappreciated, but that is OK I just ignore you anyways!!

PHHHHHHHHHTTTTT! LOL!

Hey I am headed to Kentucky tomorrow, and I will be there for about a week. I will be in Campbellsville.

Where are you in relation to Campbellsville??

(This way I know how to steer clear of you)!!!

I will PM you my phone #.

If I know you, then you will have it posted in every bathroom in Kentucky before midnight!! LOL!

I feel his pain as well!

Scorpion,

I agree... we are all professionals, and we have jobs... how else can I afford this "hobby". Ok, so it's not really a "hobby". It certainly is intended to be a surveillance system while we are away from our residence. Yes, I really do want to know, for the family's sake and mine, if we are being staked out by "future" criminals or nosy neighbors.

And why else would I be on this forum if not for your posts. Yes, you. I read a lot of your posts, and was hoping to "pick your brain" for some hints. You asked in a previous post #2, "What did the manual say?" Well, it listed some very very old IDE drives... and it said "Master"... so is the goal to research and purchase antiquated technology to satisfy a manual written ages ago? The answer is "I hope not." Would you believe my first stop was google, yahoo, and so on? Maybe you were more specific on your data mining... but seriously, have you read the things google finds? It's horrible...except for one thing... this forum and its users. Yes, I did find scorpiontheater and it was wonderful! Hence, I refer back to you. Perhaps other forums exist, that I've yet to uncover... but that is for another day. So what's the big deal, right? I expressed in one of my posts that I would contact the vendor on Monday. Well, problem solved, now to the next tech challenge. As for my problem... I don't know how many of you experienced the pain in getting the unit to recognize the HDD... probably a few? maybe some? I searched... but couldn't uncover my answer. I use the term "noob" only because, well, I'm new to this. If everyone interrupts "noob" as "idiot", then perhaps I used the wrong term. I've been using electronics for decades... but this is the first time I've ventured into this arena, and frankly speaking, I love it.

If I got everyone a bit ticked off, then I apologize. My opinion was to get us (all of us) talking, and sharing ideas. Just because one idea works with one unit... who says it doesn't with another. Is this expensive? Sure is... no doubt. But I'm the type of engineer who will test the limits within reason of my unit i.e. perhaps run 2 HDDs when my unit is made for 1; though the firmware shows 4 devices can be used... USB drive... fan... CD/DVD burner... These are all ideas, and everyone has limitations. I asked about a fan... response: be cautious... could burn out your PS board. I haven't contacted AvTech directly yet, but it's in the works. If anyone knows the limitations, they should... will they share? It depends. I see from the forum (or google search) that people have gotten very quick responses.

I believe if we have something to say, and it can benefit others... then let it ring. I never intended to "slam" anyone... and I plan to keep it that way. If I have nothing good to say, then I should keep it too myself. I've learned the hard way in the corporate world... and I certainly don't want others to follow that same path. It's economically unsuitable. And with economies struggling at best now... it isn't the time or place.

I appreciate everyone reading this forum, and especially those like scorpion who are willing to express their opinions and offer help when they can. After all, if it wasn't for you, I would probably be elsewhere. I don't mean to leave others out.

Thanks, and I look forward to contributing here to help others,

Odd Ballz

I feel his pain as well!

Scorpion,

I agree... we are all professionals, and we have jobs... how else can I afford this "hobby". Ok, so it's not really a "hobby". It certainly is intended to be a surveillance system while we are away from our residence. Yes, I really do want to know, for the family's sake and mine, if we are being staked out by "future" criminals or nosy neighbors.

And why else would I be on this forum if not for your posts. Yes, you. I read a lot of your posts, and was hoping to "pick your brain" for some hints. You asked in a previous post #2, "What did the manual say?" Well, it listed some very very old IDE drives... and it said "Master"... so is the goal to research and purchase antiquated technology to satisfy a manual written ages ago? The answer is "I hope not." Would you believe my first stop was google, yahoo, and so on? Maybe you were more specific on your data mining... but seriously, have you read the things google finds? It's horrible...except for one thing... this forum and its users. Yes, I did find scorpiontheater and it was wonderful! Hence, I refer back to you. Perhaps other forums exist, that I've yet to uncover... but that is for another day. So what's the big deal, right? I expressed in one of my posts that I would contact the vendor on Monday. Well, problem solved, now to the next tech challenge. As for my problem... I don't know how many of you experienced the pain in getting the unit to recognize the HDD... probably a few? maybe some? I searched... but couldn't uncover my answer. I use the term "noob" only because, well, I'm new to this. If everyone interrupts "noob" as "idiot", then perhaps I used the wrong term. I've been using electronics for decades... but this is the first time I've ventured into this arena, and frankly speaking, I love it.

If I got everyone a bit ticked off, then I apologize. My opinion was to get us (all of us) talking, and sharing ideas. Just because one idea works with one unit... who says it doesn't with another. Is this expensive? Sure is... no doubt. But I'm the type of engineer who will test the limits within reason of my unit i.e. perhaps run 2 HDDs when my unit is made for 1; though the firmware shows 4 devices can be used... USB drive... fan... CD/DVD burner... These are all ideas, and everyone has limitations. I asked about a fan... response: be cautious... could burn out your PS board. I haven't contacted AvTech directly yet, but it's in the works. If anyone knows the limitations, they should... will they share? It depends. I see from the forum (or google search) that people have gotten very quick responses.

I believe if we have something to say, and it can benefit others... then let it ring. I never intended to "slam" anyone... and I plan to keep it that way. If I have nothing good to say, then I should keep it too myself. I've learned the hard way in the corporate world... and I certainly don't want others to follow that same path. It's economically unsuitable. And with economies struggling at best now... it isn't the time or place.

I appreciate everyone reading this forum, and especially those like scorpion who are willing to express their opinions and offer help when they can. After all, if it wasn't for you, I would probably be elsewhere. I don't mean to leave others out.

Thanks, and I look forward to contributing here to help others,

Odd Ballz

I appreciate "where you're coming from". You also need to appreciate that every problem can't be fixed overnight. When I read your original post, I contemplated asking you about the "master" setting. But, not being familiar with the particular DVR you were working wiith, I decided to keep my opinion to myself.

I have a DVR that came with with a Hard Drive. It was obviously set to "Master" and when I added a second Hard Drive, I did as instructed and set it to "Slave". Not "CS". It worked like a charm.

I wonder if you have two IDE plugs inside that machine? If so, what if you set your HD to "SLAVE" and plugged it into the same IDE connector that you connected your HD to set as "Master"? Better yet, set it to "Master" and plugged it in to the other connecter? I don't know. Just a thought. Just a thought because we don't know all the possibilities.

I came here looking for help and got it. I stayed here looking for more help. I've helped some in the process. I believe you will too.

I think your gripe is with you DVR Manufacturer, not this board.

In my year on this board I do not recall this HD issue come up before. Setting "master" by jumper should override the cable's choice of "master" on the drive, don't see that the ATA interface has any bearing on, or knowledge of this.

My 782 works fine with the several drives I have tried set to master, not to imply it's the same design as the 760.

Trying to get in contact with AVtech should be interesting. If you can do that you've truly accomplished something!

I for one have not had a DVR that would work well on CS setting, mine have all been either Master /Slave drives, but then I usually stay away from the AVC DVR's. That is Scorpion's domain, and if we gave you the idea we are angry or upset then sorry. Sometimes we get carried away with ribbing each other.

watch scorp get even more riled up (didnt have time to read his posts in this thread yet though cause by dam they are long ) .. he should have got an Avermedia .. the image quality is 10 times better

watch scorp get even more riled up (didnt have time to read his posts in this thread yet though cause by dam they are long ) .. he should have got an Avermedia .. the image quality is 10 times better

Perhaps. For starters, I never intended to get him wrapped around an axle, and a tree. I really like this forum and the users. I see how this group can help each other through their problems and questions. It's a great place to be, and I'm glad to be here! Thanks everyone.

Edited by Guest

its okay .. i got an Avtech sitting here myself

Rory, I successfully added a 2nd HDD to my AV760M. I used an external power supply to feed juice to the 2nd unit. I did not want to risk burning out the PS from the modular unit. Set it on CS (cable select) setting. Replaced the original single connector IDE ribbon with a 2 connector cable. The system recognized both drives, and provided access to both. Shows up as Master-1 and Slave-2. I'd imagine we should be able to push these units to 1TB using 2, 500GB drives... heck, we should be able to drive this to 1.5TB with 2, 750GB drives. That'd be nice! I'd like to add a DVD burner, but I'll have to see where that leads. I do have a couple spares, so parts aren't a problem. It's the firmware, and maybe since I got the ol' cheapo version, it doesn't have full capability. Still wondering if I could use a newer model firmware and extend the features... hmmmm..... that'd be something.

I never intended to get him wrapped around an axle, and a tree

That was funny!

Anyone got a crowbar so I can unwrap myself???

NO??

I guess I will be "tied" up for a little while!!

LOL!