dtdoak

Cut Filter Problem

I have a new camera installed; EverFocus EHD525EX. This is an outdoor true day/night dome camera with a cut filter.

I'm having trouble with the cut filter switching at night. If I cover the photo sensor the camera will switch to night mode in 20-30 seconds; you can hear the clicking sound and the picture is B&W. In complete darkness, without the photo sensor covered it often does not switch to night mode. There is no other lights near by which would prevent the camera from switching

Can anything be done to force the cut filter to kick in when light is low? Would adjusting the Iris ALC or Iris level help? The camera is set to AGC on.

The camera is using 24VAC with 150' run.

Just confused as to why it's not always switching between day/night modes.

Appreciate the help.[/u]

I have a new camera installed; EverFocus EHD525EX. This is an outdoor true day/night dome camera with a cut filter.

I'm having trouble with the cut filter switching at night. If I cover the photo sensor the camera will switch to night mode in 20-30 seconds; you can hear the clicking sound and the picture is B&W. In complete darkness, without the photo sensor covered it often does not switch to night mode. There is no other lights near by which would prevent the camera from switching

Can anything be done to force the cut filter to kick in when light is low? Would adjusting the Iris ALC or Iris level help? The camera is set to AGC on.

The camera is using 24VAC with 150' run.

Just confused as to why it's not always switching between day/night modes.

Appreciate the help.[/u]

http://www.surveillance-video.com/evehhiredaru.html

Sounds like when it is dark enough, it does indeed switch to night mode. There must be some light around that is keeping it in the day mode. Inside a dome, light from all angles (side left, side right, rear) can enter and cause a glare that the sensor in the front of the dome interprets as daylight. Ensure that it is dark on all sides of the dome except the direction of aim. Then start looking at other electronic settings.

I put a dark blanket around/over the dome, but the mechanical filter still didn't switch to night mode; waited a couple minutes to be sure. I did this at night to be certain no light would enter the lens.

I opened a problem ticket with EverFocus. This is the first camera I've used from them... hopefully this is not a common problem with their true day/night cameras. Very disappointed.

Thanks for the help.

check your power at the camera....my bet is the 150ft. is knockin the voltage down and it is not operating properly underpowered.

- use a 28vac supply to conpensate for the loss..........or a adjustable type.

- power/wire sized properly to the camera?

Does this camera have a dip switch for day, day/night, if so check the switch setting.

There has two type for Cut filter, one with motor driver, it not so sensitive if the lights always change very fast. But sometimes has problem which you said here.

Another was photosensitive sensor, it move faster, but if has lights change, like car's light, it always moving back and return. Too sensitive, this up to your choice.

Sorry for the delayed return response... was away on vacation.

I was able to take a voltage reading at the camera, which has a 150ft run and it measures 22.9 VAC. I think this would be within the tolerance for most cameras to function properly, but I'm not totally sure.

Also, if I cover the photo sensor with black electrical tape the camera stays in night mode. I did try and put a light colored masking tape over the sensor, hoping that some light would be enough trip cut filter in day/night mode. Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem. The camera still does not switch once there is complete darkness. There is no other light from any source, which could be reflecting within the dome. Not really sure what to try next.

On a good note, when in night mode with IR the picture is extremely good.

I did send a message to EverFocus about my issue, but they never responded. Concerns me about their customer service. I'll send another note to EverFocus.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Appreciated.

Just a thought

Is the IR internal, I ask because photo sensors are affected by IR light, so even though you cannot see any visible light, light is there as soon as you cover the dome and the IR turns on. I presume that you have the cover off the dome, if so, disconnect the IR (without voiding you warranty)and cover with blacket again, if cam switches to b&w then you know you are getting IR leakage

You would think 23V would be fine. That was w/ the camera running? I had a 12V x 110' run and used 16ga. wire due to losses at 2A. Another run was 200' and used 18ga for 0.5A @ 12V. That is where 24V is very helpful; smaller wire can be used. Under voltage can cause odd problems. Lights come on but things don't work right. I spent all day getting a wireless video transmitter/rec. working. Transformers labled at 9.5V but were only putting out 7V. When I went w/an 11V transformer it started working. Experimentation seems to be the name of the game in this field!

adjusting shutter speed may solve your problem!!!

yes also check AGL , BLC are On..and any selection of day light / day only mode!!

Kalpesh Nikumbh

India