Iam thinking of changing to cat 5 cable of the four pairs of cable can i use one pair for video one pair for power two pairs for motorised lens?

Yes, I have used for PTZ cameras using one pair for video, one pair for PTZ control and two pair for power. Hope this helps.

How longs the run

You'll need a balun at each end for the video,

You might want higher rated cable (prolly multistrand also) for the power,

I wouldn't rely on the cat5 for my power, but all the rest is fine,

double up the power if you really have to - 2 pairs pwr, 1 pair vid, 1 pair ptz/lense...

Yes, I have used for PTZ cameras using one pair for video, one pair for PTZ control and two pair for power. Hope this helps.

What was the power type on the camera?

ya it certainly depends on what power is trnsfered tohro cables....if it is 110V someting ( Mains power) certainly not recomanded ...will spoil your image....ang some how if cable breaks .......system may burn!!!!

...but definitely worth finding out. I'd use CAT6E cabling. You'll get a longer run out of it and it will hold power better. Baluns at one or both ends.

...but definitely worth finding out. I'd use CAT6E cabling. You'll get a longer run out of it and it will hold power better. Baluns at one or both ends.

You won't get a longer run out of CAT6E. Voltage drop on it will be the same as CAT5. You will get less cross talk which might get you a slightly better signal at the same distances but it's not going to be radically further and not worth the extra cost.

The difference between CAT6 and CAT5 is just the cross talk between pairs. This allows for higher speeds for data transmission. It does not extend the broadcast distance at all.

It's true if you just go by the published Cat 6 specifications. But if you look at the manufacturers specs you will find many manufacturers use 23 gauge conductors instead of 24 in their CAT6.

In most applications that probably doesn't make a big difference; But the bigger gauge wire does translate to less voltage drop. That could make a difference in some installs.

Power on the PTZ is 24vac, and I still have that camera running that way, thats my mini dome that I have been testing for so long.

If it is 24 V ac then it's ok....

no problem dear!!!

I also utilised such spare cables while no chose left behind during maintainanace of some old dirty installations..........

if it is cabling phase of the project......recommanding higher gause cable!!

Just do it !! Good luck....

Kalpesh Nikumbh

India

What is the twist rate per inch for cat6 compared to cat5?

If there is more twists in the wire, then the overall length will be longer than the length of the equivalent cat5 cable...... (Come to think of it, how much extra length do the twists add on a cable run??)

cat 6 has varying twist ratios between pairs. The idea is to ensure that no two pairs have exactly the same twist ratio at any point in the cable run in order to minimise crosstalk.

no problem dear!!!

I also utilised such spare cables while no chose left behind during maintainanace of some old dirty installations..........

Kalpesh Nikumbh

India

Wait, you're running alternating current on unshielded pairs next to the video pairs? And this works without lots of interference?

Have been for quite some time, have been testing the mini ptz this way and no noise or interference at all, even have a new 35x ptz testing the same way and no interference at all.

(Come to think of it, how much extra length do the twists add on a cable run??)

I will have to pull a certified test and look. It shows the different length of the pairs in a single cable. But from what I remember a 100+ ft run of 5e all the pairs were within 1 or 2 percent of each other. The difference in length is the varied twist rate from what I can tell.

Next time I'm thinking of it I will check the test result length compared to the cable jacket marker...

Edit:

here's what I show on a random test result:

Superior Essex 5e

pair 1 (4,5) 107'

pair 2 (1,2) 104'

pair 3 (3,6) 108'

pair 4 (7,8) 105'

it labels the cable as 104'

Thanks for all your help on my Cat 5 question .

The next Question i have does it matter which colours i use for Camera

/Power/Motorised lens the cameras i use are 12v . What i am trying to do is to use one pair for power one pair for the camera and two pairs to a rocker switch so i can control the lens .Any thoughts would be a great help as you chaps are the experts

You are not going to get any distance on 12vdc, will have to keep your power close to the camera or make sure you have a power supply that gives you 12vdc at the camera.

How many cameras can i run on cat 5 with active receiver? i had a lad tell me the other day that you can only run two as you will get interference outwise, is this true and would you get much? Also how many can you run with both a active transmitter and active receiver?

How many cameras can i run on cat 5 with active receiver? i had a lad tell me the other day that you can only run two as you will get interference outwise, is this true and would you get much? Also how many can you run with both a active transmitter and active receiver?

I've never heard that. We run up to 25 cameras on a CAT-5 25-pair and haven't had any problems. In some cases, we also run RS-485 control for PTZ's on one of the pairs. We also commonly run 4 cameras on 4-pair without problems using both passive-passive and passive-active. We have yet to use active-passive or active-active, though.

no problem dear!!!

Kalpesh Nikumbh

India

Wait, you're running alternating current on unshielded pairs next to the video pairs? And this works without lots of interference?

Do it all the time, no problem. The whole point of a balun (or part of it, anyway) is that interference induced equally on both wires of the signal pair is "canceled out" at the receiving end.

Check out these gems (pardon the pun): http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=238&category_id=40&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Newby to the site (and CCTV). Have been looking for maximum cat5 lengths for video only as I have local power that can be used. It looks like I need a video Balun at each end and I reckon runs need to be up to 100metres. I have seen it done plenty of times and don't believe any type of amplification was used. Cheers

Newby to the site (and CCTV). Have been looking for maximum cat5 lengths for video only as I have local power that can be used. It looks like I need a video Balun at each end and I reckon runs need to be up to 100metres. I have seen it done plenty of times and don't believe any type of amplification was used. Cheers

Passive baluns will have no problems up to at least 300 meters, perhaps longer.