dsiadmin

Hidden VS. Visible Cameras

I’m in the process of upgrading our system and plan to add more cameras after I replace the current DVR. Of the few cameras we have now, all but one are hidden type. My personal feeling is the visible camera is more of a deterrent than anything.

What is the general consensus of the group here who do installations for a living? And is warning signage a good idea? (We are in the USA).

Thanks for any input

Dennis

Visible camera's are a deterent, but there is a few individuals out there that do not care rather there is a system in place or not, they are going to do what they want, covert systems are for those cases when you want to keep an eye on the insiders (employees) that may take advantage of their position to help themselves. Best to take advantage of the system and use the camera's to your advantage.

I get a little nervous when people want me to install hidden cameras, the privacy card is always waving in tha air. We all know we can get thousands of attorneys who are ready to sue for the smallest thing. Check your local laws about things first before you even touch the job & you become liable for it.

Hidden or concealed cameras are good in retail. I think the only time I'd use it residental would be in my own home, to see how a babysitter actually handles my kids, and only in the the living room/play area.

For retail the best locations are those locations where criminals will feel naturally at ease to steal. Most of the time they won't open the package under a camera (but yes, the do it a hell of a lot), instead they will go to a small isle, where they feel no one can watch them, and they don't see a dome. Above this isle place a hidden chip camera. This works not only on the sales floor, but in the stock room as well. Always place a chip camera on your candy backstock. It's like fishing for internal theft with great bait. Both my internals this year have had pop and candy in the list of things they've taken. Both have been caught by my observations of them taking candy/pop by these hidden cameras.

Think like a criminal, and you'll know where a hidden verses a visable camera will work best. Again, it also depends on your intent. Is it just a deterant, or is it to catch them. Use visable cameras to "direct" and "channel" the criminals to "safe" areas with the coverts.

Where ever there is cash involved then you need a combination of both overt, and covert cameras.

In residence situations then I am using these for homebound patients where nurses come in to assist. You can see if they are being fed, if they are given their medication, to see if they are being dropped ect.

One client went through 6 agencies before she finally got a good one.

We have all kinds of video. We even caught a male nurse "entertaining" himself if you know what I mean. It had nothing to do with the patient, but they must have been "bored".

The state took three agencies to task after witnessing the videos.

This was a real eye opener for us. The nurses knew about the cameras, but we still had covert cameras. It is amazing how they act in front of the known cameras, and how they acted in front of the covert cameras.

Very interesting indeed!

Edited by Guest

Yes, there are different sitiuations out there and no one can tell exact formula - hidden camera or not - there are different scenarios for every case

Usually we only install hidden cameras in offices and the location of the DVR. We do blank out the camera on the screen. Someone with access to the dvr at times attempt to destroy portions of the recording and we catch them at the DVR doing so. They attempted to pass a law here in Indiana

outlawing the use of hidden cameras. The bill was defeated. Our company installed hidden cameras in a power generating station that almost blew up as workers slept. These guys got fired and the union tried to eliminate us at the plant. Actually the only time around here that we must inform employees and customers, is the recording of audio. We post signs about this on the entry doors.

I saw some real neat hidden cameras recently, have you ever seen those mirrors used in retail to see around a corner, well with one way glass and a camera mounted inside...and the tendancy for people who are stealing to look into a mirror that looks around a corner...a great idea