DD

Cabin brake in

Hi all,

My Aunt and Uncle have a cabin in rural Alaska. Lately there has been a rash of break-ins where, presumably, kids are looking for booze and a place to party. I am trying to help set them up with something that might ID the miscreants. What I am looking for is a two camera outdoor system with a DVR that can handle about 5 days of recording.

I don’t know much about camera lenses, but both will need IR for night recording. Neither camera will have far to shoot, maybe 15 feet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

DD

Do you have power?

Do you have internet?

How about a different option to catch the bastards?

• Infrared camera with no flash (72 LED Emitters)

• 4.0 MegaPixels

• 32 MB Built-In Memory

• Accepts Secure Digital SD Memory Cards (up to 4GB)

• Rapid response time captures moving game

• 150-day battery life & 50-ft flash

• Easy-read photo strip

• Temperature, moon phase, time, date and camera ID on every photo and video

• Color day/Infrared night pictures (Low/Med/Hi Resolution)

• Day and Night video clips (5/15/30 seconds)

• Laser and IR aim for quick and precise camera set-up

• Multi-shot pictures (up to 3 shots, 15 sec. interval))

• Upgradeable software

• Weather-resistant, airtight camera housing and seal

• Operates on 6 D-cell batteries (sold separately)

• Port for External Battery Pack

• USB & TV Out Cables Included

• Mounting Strap & Integrated Tripod Mount Included

What do you think?

I would add a couple of paintball land mines as well.

What color, I like them to match my company logo.

Imagin the free advertisement..

Do you have power?

Do you have internet?

How about a different option to catch the bastards?

• Infrared camera with no flash (72 LED Emitters)

• 4.0 MegaPixels

• 32 MB Built-In Memory

• Accepts Secure Digital SD Memory Cards (up to 4GB)

• Rapid response time captures moving game

• 150-day battery life & 50-ft flash

• Easy-read photo strip

• Temperature, moon phase, time, date and camera ID on every photo and video

• Color day/Infrared night pictures (Low/Med/Hi Resolution)

• Day and Night video clips (5/15/30 seconds)

• Laser and IR aim for quick and precise camera set-up

• Multi-shot pictures (up to 3 shots, 15 sec. interval))

• Upgradeable software

• Weather-resistant, airtight camera housing and seal

• Operates on 6 D-cell batteries (sold separately)

• Port for External Battery Pack

• USB & TV Out Cables Included

• Mounting Strap & Integrated Tripod Mount Included

What do you think?

That all sounds good except for the 50 ft. flash. If they are kids you don't want them to see the flash and tear up the cameras.

I would look for a motion triggered camera like the ones used for wild animals. Just make sure you disable the flash so the kids don't see it and tear it up.

Scorpion:

I love the idea of using paintball land mines. Especially if I could capture their faces as they get hit priceless.

The cabin has power but no internet or phone access, so no instant alerts. Any specific cameras you would recommend? I had not thought of a camera with it's own storage. It could even be an indoor camera, the cabin is pretty small and getting a shot inside would be easy as long as they don't find the camera. I hadn't noticed any cameras like that on my initial search for surveillance equipment.

Thanks,

DD

Roony

No Flash (visible)

Flash is IR (invisible)

DD

I would recommend this device as you can move it around to various locations as each need comes up.

Hey Scorpion, where do you get this Game Camera? In the past, I tried a couple of different ones that just weren't worth the money. I had customers that needed something different. Once in awhile, I have people who need something way out in a barn, etc. that gives a decent picture. Thanks.

Thanks,

I've started looking at the game cams and they seem like they will be a better fit. I don't see any on your site though. Which ones do you carry?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

DD

There are many variables to select one.

I am sorry that I do not have them on the website, as I do not have enough pages to fit them all in to.

Describe the environment that the camera is going in to.

Are there humans around, or is this in the woods? Does it need urban camoflage, or woodland camoflage.

I can make the camera look like tree bark with texture exactly like the bark. You can send me a bark sample, and I can custom make one to it so that it matches the trees in your area.

I can make it look like an electrical box. I use these on copper theft investigations such as putting them with an AC unit.

There are several bright flash and IR flash types. For game you want the camera low at eye level of the game, and the regular flash to be high up in the tree. It will appear to be lightning and they do not spook as much.

For game, or undercover work then you need cameras, and control boards that are silent. For nature photography it does not matter.

One failure of game cameras is that people point them at an area. What is wrong is that the animal comes from left "stage" and exits right "stage".

You will not get a shot because of the timing. You may get a picture of the tail of the animal!!

Point the camera towards left, or right of the "stage". Now the animal sets off the "trigger" (motion) and then the camera gets the shot as they keep approaching! How is that for simple?? This is a common failure for newbies.

There are many cameras that can be custom "cut" electronically to be used as a game camera. Each "system" has to be custom cut, and fitted to a box.

You can make it cheap using "camo" sheets which stick on, or you can have it "bark matched".

For game hunters, and PIs I recommend cameras that have LCD screens so that you can see the picture right away. Avoid 35mm film cameras as you have to develope them to see the pictures.

The more you have to hide it the harder it is. You can hide them in side of oil barrels or tires if you are doing land/river garbage dumping.

For investigative cameras then you may want an IP system where you can watch the video via wirless. You could use a cell phone card to get wireless internet as well.

You can use cameras to create a "mesh" so that you can have a signal all the way out in to no mans land. This is not for the average hunter, but more for investigative work.

If you are an electronics tinker guy, then you can build your own game camera, but it is not worth it for a "one up project". For a hunter then this is a needed "skill" to track, and hunt. You need stuff that works off of batteries for a long time so that you do not go into the hunting area and leaving your scent all over the place.

It does not matter for PI / investigative work. You can leave your scent all you want. You may need a gillie suit so that you are not seen!

You can hide cameras in the ground and have them look through dog poop. Use the fake gag poop, and cut a hole! I thought you would like that trick!

Here are some cameras that are used for game cameras that need mods

Sony P32 and P41, S40 and S600.

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=DSCP32

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11037675

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=DSCP41

http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/product-detail.do?&prodId=43300&catId=43295

You can be the next "snapshot sniper"!!

What do you think?

http://www.eclipsecctv.com/LYNXC_security_DVR.html

Here is a great PI tool!!

You can put this on the wall and let it be an "air freshener", or a "thermostat".

You can also hide it inside of a box on a shelf. Put the camera in to a "box" that matches the enviroment, (or shelf).

You could put it in a birdhouse if you have those kind of nic nacs on your shelves.

You can empty out a toaster a drill a hole for it to see through.

This can give you 30 FPS for a day or two. For longer time frames if you only visit the cabin once a week then you can put it in to a low fps mode which will give you snapshots.

What is the quality of the video / picture? Great! Dark places need to be tested to see what you can do to get it to work.

This is one of my favorite all in one camera/DVR.

You can insert an SD card to extend your time as well.

You can paint them black and just throw them in a corner somewhere for quick video shots.

The Lynx C is a portable CCTV/DVR combo that can operate on internal battery power (four AA batteries) or an external DC source (using an AC adapter). Designed for quick use and setup, it has an internal 1/4" lens camera and uses MPEG4 compression to record color VGA quality video at 640x480 resolution at HIGH, MEDIUM, or LOW quality settings (selectable). An RCA connector is provided for hook up to an external composite monitor.

Compression: MPEG4

Recording interval: 10 sec/5 sec/3 sec/2 sec/1 IPS/2 IPS/4 IPS/6 IPS/8 IPS/Max.

Recording resolution: 640x480 (VGA)/320x240 (QVGA)

Storage capacity: built-in Flash Memory(64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, or 1GB option)

Video Output: Composite

Edited by Guest

The Lynx systems look vary interesting. I'll see if they are interested in one.

I was also looking at this mostly for the IR and ability to place the camerea without having to run weirs. Any idea if it's any good?

http://www.4hiddenspycameras.com/widvrrecooui.html

Receiver:

2.4 Ghz 4 channel receiver

Antenna 50 ohm SMA

Time & Date Stamp.

Photo Format: JPEG

Internal storage 16MB 230 images or 50 video clips (10 seconds each)

Video Recording Modes: Motion Activation

Photo Pixels 640X480

Video pixel 320X240

SD Card slot (2GB SD card *not included* 28800 images or 4380 video clips 10sed. each

LED channel indicator

RCA video in, out

By pass on/off

on/off button

6V system

152X104X24 mm

Camera:

2.4 Ghz wireless color camera

Outdoor, night vision

1/4" Cmos image sensor

Resolution TV lines 420

pixels VGA 640x480