Hello,

I've got an AVC-760m that I tried to upgrade the firmware. I used a file called AVC760_761_1098K2.zip which has rendered the dvr inoperable. It tries to boot, the video is garbled and then it reboots. Is there anyone out there who has the correct firmware and instructions on how to revert back to the original or correct firmware ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello,

I've got an AVC-760m that I tried to upgrade the firmware. I used a file called AVC760_761_1098K2.zip which has rendered the dvr inoperable. It tries to boot, the video is garbled and then it reboots. Is there anyone out there who has the correct firmware and instructions on how to revert back to the original or correct firmware ? Any help would be much appreciated.

I think scorpion has it on his website, and he does frequent the boards so you may get an answer tomorrow. Did you back up your original firmware prior to doing this? If so, you'll need to reload the original firmware over it. I haven't played with the firmware item yet. Good luck, and keep us informed as to your troubleshooting.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't back up the original because I had no way to do so - or at least I couldn't find one. I can't access the unit at all now. I hope I didn't brinck it - I feel nekkid without it. ;/

Thanks for the reply. I didn't back up the original because I had no way to do so - or at least I couldn't find one. I can't access the unit at all now. I hope I didn't brinck it - I feel nekkid without it. ;/

Have you contacted your vendor? First off, is the firmware available at your vendor's site? If so, then contact them explaining that you followed the steps. What support can they provide you?

Hello,

I used a file called AVC760_761_1098K2.zip which has rendered the dvr inoperable.

This zip looks like it is from my website. Did you download this firmware from www.scorpiontheater.com ???

No one has experience with this situation.

It has been said that you can reload the original firmware.

I have also heard that you cannot reload the firmware if the DVR has had a "hardware reset"

I have looked at the two kinds of firmware that I have.

One has...

AVC760_761_1098K2.zip

MCU.BIN

KERNAL4.BIN

HTML.BIN

BOOT.BIN

Then I have ...

CPD560_561_2011.zip

PLAYER.BIN

MCU.BIN

KERNAL4.BIN

HTML.BIN

BOOT.BIN

1.0.88 is from 2006 11/14

1.0.98 is from 2007 1/30

2.0.05 is from 2007 2/30

2.0.11 is from 2007 4/24

It appears that the firmware covers all model number wether 501, 502, or 503, or 505, or 507.

I have no way to confirm the above.

I do not have the resources to resolve this issue.

Anyone have a way of looking at this firmware in detail??

The firmware itself appears not to be corrupt, but for some reason your DVR does not want that particular one. I have no idea what firmware your DVR desires.

You can click on my profile button and then send me an email and then I can send you the CPD560_561_2011.zip LABELED firmware.

Any other dealers having this issue??

The Player bin starts off like this and it is greek to me!!

Great! One of the "icons" does not translate from the cut and paste. The squares should look like a small i without the dot.

egads!

=CHKSUM=\?VER=002 53?4 MZP ÿÿ ? @ º ? Ã

The Player bin starts off like this and it is greek to me!!

Great! One of the "icons" does not translate from the cut and paste. The squares should look like a small i without the dot.

egads!

=CHKSUM=\?VER=002 53?4 MZP ÿÿ ? @ º ? Ã

Yeah - I got it from your website. The dealer I got the system from has been no help. I've looked the machine over from top to bottom and cannot figure out how to restore the firmware. I put a different hard drive in the machine and at least it doesn't reboot but I still can't get any response out of it. Is the firmware stored on a chip in the machine or is it stored on the hard drive ? I tried installing the drive in a linux machine but can't mount it - I tried every file system I could with no luck. I've purhcased another system since I figure this one is bricked but if someone knows any tricks to salvage this one, I'd like to try. One other question: I've installed loads of firmware over the years from phones to routers, etc and never had to verify a checksum. Why would I need to in this case and what would I verify it against ? The documentation on these units is almost non-existant. Thanks again for the help...

Yeah - I got it from your website. The dealer I got the system from has been no help. I've looked the machine over from top to bottom and cannot figure out how to restore the firmware. I put a different hard drive in the machine and at least it doesn't reboot but I still can't get any response out of it. Is the firmware stored on a chip in the machine or is it stored on the hard drive ? I tried installing the drive in a linux machine but can't mount it - I tried every file system I could with no luck. I've purhcased another system since I figure this one is bricked but if someone knows any tricks to salvage this one, I'd like to try. One other question: I've installed loads of firmware over the years from phones to routers, etc and never had to verify a checksum. Why would I need to in this case and what would I verify it against ? The documentation on these units is almost non-existant. Thanks again for the help...

You verify the checksum to make sure of few things:

1. First that you are working with the correct firmware the to right device.

2. That the firmware file itself hasn't been corrupted.

3. That the firmware hasn't been compromised in anyway.

I cannot find a link for the AVC 760M

Could it be related to the AVC 760AS?

http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/cctv_doc.aspx?ID=AVC760AS

http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/cctv.aspx?Type=3&Type2=2

Or

What version of Video Server E does it use?

Video Sever E .0.0.8.5? (Nubix 4St / AVC 760AS Version)

Can you PM me the link where you bought the DVR?

I'm Trying! I'm Trying!

It was an EBay purchase from USA Security Store in California. They have no clue. There was a tag on the motherboard of the dvr that had 760m on it. I bought a replacement from a different vendor that was also labeled as 760m. If I could figure out how to extract the firmware from the good one and figure out how to flash the bad one, I'd be in business. But with the bad firmware loaded, the network card never gets initialized and so I have no way of loading it. I'm using the latest version of Video Server - 1.0.6.6.

Thanks

Avtech?

You cant possibly purchase a cheaper DVR. Seriously, the lowest cost DVR systems on the planet. I wouldnt install a 760 or any AVTech DVR to guard my pet squirrel.

Are you out of your mind??????

I am not selling you a DVR!

My customers buy what they want to buy based on the money in their pocket!

Now with your permission may I feed my family, and buy my toys, or shall I just allow these customers to go somewhere else and buy the cheapest Samantha Club, or a CostyLLC, or god forbid an all in one box with RJ11 connectors????

Do I really have to let these dollars walk away from me???

I do not install Pelcos at the house of the "little old lady" because I do not have the time to show them how to use the mouse to set record time line, and to set the motion time line plus all of the other simple settings that appear difficult to them.

On top of that I do not want a band of "little old ladys" calling on a day to day basis asking "How do I log in to the computer"? OK, now how do I log in to the software again".

I want all of these people to leave me alone!!!! If I can hand them an AVTech, and it meets their specs, (and not yours) and I can give them above board tech support when they really need it then everyone is happy.

Please SELL ME YOUR FAVORITE DVR to me at $200.00 US, and I will pass this on to the little old lady for you so that she can have the latest, and the greatest.

PS

I want your home phone number too as I will have them call you for help.

OH oh! My wife says that I am ranting again!

Now she is telling me to think of icy, blue, cool water.

Now breath.

OK! I am better now! Excuse me for acting silly!!

Now RickA will come along and dog me out for ranting!

I am sorry cctvintegration.

PS

There are cheaper DVRs as well.

I bought it as a home system, not something to protect Fort Knox. Within 36 hours of installing it, I caught a vandal slitting my tires. It may not be the best on the market, and the support from the manufacturer is not existant but it does the job and that makes it worth the 600 bucks I spent on it.

Are you out of your mind??????

I am not selling you a DVR!

My customers buy what they want to buy based on the money in their pocket!

Now with your permission may I feed my family, and buy my toys, or shall I just allow these customers to go somewhere else and buy the cheapest Samantha Club, or a CostyLLC, or god forbid an all in one box with RJ11 connectors????

Do I really have to let these dollars walk away from me???

I do not install Pelcos at the house of the "little old lady" because I do not have the time to show them how to use the mouse to set record time line, and to set the motion time line plus all of the other simple settings that appear difficult to them.

On top of that I do not want a band of "little old ladys" calling on a day to day basis asking "How do I log in to the computer"? OK, now how do I log in to the software again".

I want all of these people to leave me alone!!!! If I can hand them an AVTech, and it meets their specs, (and not yours) and I can give them above board tech support when they really need it then everyone is happy.

Please SELL ME YOUR FAVORITE DVR to me at $200.00 US, and I will pass this on to the little old lady for you so that she can have the latest, and the greatest.

PS

I want your home phone number too as I will have them call you for help.

OH oh! My wife says that I am ranting again!

Now she is telling me to think of icy, blue, cool water.

Now breath.

OK! I am better now! Excuse me for acting silly!!

Now RickA will come along and dog me out for ranting!

I am sorry cctvintegration.

PS

There are cheaper DVRs as well.

$200.00 ????

You should be paying 135.00 from one of maybe 500 online sellers of the 760

The success and the RIGHT thing to do is educate a buyer, regardless of their budget. You'll never convince me that even a cheap buyer wouldn't shell out another 50 dollars or so for an H.264 that AT LEAST HAS A DARN USB port to back up data.

Oh wait, I forgot, with the 760 you can connect a PC to the network port and back up video that way, after spending two days with the little old lady, and then you can burn a cd for the police and then the attorney will tell the judge the video isnt admissable because its changed formats twice.

While we're ranting, the 760 records local images in MPEG4 "software misery" format, yet sends images over the net in massive MJPEG file sizes. Is it me, or is that as backwards as it gets?

marketing marketing marketing marketing and education. Every buyer in the world would gladly fork over a measly 50 dollars more for a dvr that features usb backup, hardware compression, and doesnt log jam the internet transferring those massive MJPEG file sizes. geeeeeeeez

I leave for a few days and come back to a pair ranting about what a customer is going to purchase for a dvr!!! We try to sell the best fit for the customer and we try to persuade the customer that we are trying to effectively protect his/her best interest and not overcharge for their best quality and ability to capture any thing that might ocurr. Nice manuscript Scorpion!!

Hey RickA!

I was in the wrong, and I should have kept my mouth shut.

I am scared to death to tell him that I sell the hell out of these devices, and I would hate to hear what he would have to say about this device!!

http://eclipsecctv.com/LYNXC_security_DVR.html

It does not have H.264, and it does not have a USB port.

Oh boy! What to do, what to do???

I finally got moved out of the house, and in to an apartment. I just got internet today on Monday. I look forward to getting "caught up".

Now I remember why I hate moving! LOL!

P.S.

Wet cardboard boxes of various sizes for sell! Scratch that!

Aqua based containers for sale cheap!

Now I know how much stuff can fit in one of those portable "dumpsters"!

haha the "M" is the mainboard... e.g. AVC787 mainboard is 787M.

A DVR with a 760M mainboard is an AVC760.

I think you will find what has happened is the firmware upgrade you have used was not compatible with the firmware revision you had.

This is why the original firmware was missing the MCU.BIN and PLAYER.BIN

PLAYER.BIN is the active X control for the web interface from memory.

MCU.BIN I don't really know but it could be the boot loader or similar.

The solution to these types of problems is to replace the mainboard... unfortunately AVT are selective about doing this and will usually not replace a board for the end user.

Hey BurstElement!!!

Where have you been???

Nice to hear from you again!!

Thanks for the info!!!

Do you know of any way of recovering these boards besides replacing them??

To me it seemed better to buy a new DVR then for me to buy the main board as the costs were about the same!!

There would be a way to do it but AVT hold all those cards close to their chest... they have a self test interface built into the DVR that is activated by the rs232 interface that I tried to get them to give me info on for ages... after I argued that without this tool we could not effectively eliminate customer damaged returns and they chose to repair non-warranty machines FOC rather than letting me know their secret service mode details.