catseyenu

Camera and Lens Recommendations

After a rash of vandalism at a small business I've been tasked with overseeing the purchase and installation of a CCTV system.

Their first impulse was to pick up a mass merchandised bundled unit from Sams or Costco.

My thoughts were that these units might not serve their specific needs in the long run.

My research leads me to believe that the camera/lens quality is where the balance of any potential equipment purchasing budget should be spent.

We need at the very least good facial capture quality on the interior entry/exit points (2 doors) and as close to facial capture on the exterior areas (20'long x 30'wide) of these 2 points for potential prosecution evidence in the event of an attempted robbery (high profile target run by 2 women).

Lighting conditions on the interior of the doors will vary from day to night with fairly bright fluorescent lighting near the back door during occupation to near dark after close, medium interior daylight conditions (large plate glass window within 5' of door) on the front door during the day to low indirect* to none at night. *The "low indirect includes an overhead flood in the exterior 5' x 10' "enclosed" (3 sides) portico area that will "flash" into the interior when the door is opened.

The exteriors will be in daylight and then covered with high pressure sodium lighting at night directly overhead of the openings.

These locations are my first priority.

I would also like to eventually capture the parking spaces that butt up to the building 3-4 feet away from the foundation and about the length of a car.

With the consideration that I'm leaning toward a stand alone DVR (does it make any difference?) what camera and lens recommendations do you have?

Thank you in advance!

For the outdoor camera's I'd suggest Speco with infrared. Maybe one of the HEAT day/night cameras. I've been very happy with mine. Make sure it is varifocal so you can make adjustments. Will there be lights on inside during off-hours? If so maybe a Pelco indoor box camera with a close-up on the door for a good face shot.

I'm not sure how many camera's you plan to set-up but you can get a good quality 4-8 channel dvr on ebay for fairly reasonable. Just make sure you get a lock box!

For the outdoor camera's I'd suggest Speco with infrared. Maybe one of the HEAT day/night cameras. I've been very happy with mine. Make sure it is varifocal so you can make adjustments. Will there be lights on inside during off-hours? If so maybe a Pelco indoor box camera with a close-up on the door for a good face shot.

I'm not sure how many camera's you plan to set-up but you can get a good quality 4-8 channel dvr on ebay for fairly reasonable. Just make sure you get a lock box!

flasecurity,

Thank you for the reply.

I think I'd like to know more about the physical properties/features to look for in cameras and lenses for specific tasks before I settle on a brand..

What's the upside of using the "normally shaped" camera compared to the bullets or domes.

Are they cheaper?

Is there an issue with vandalism if it's mounted 15' in the air? I've had a suggestion I get all domes as someone might attempt to rope and pull down a camera if they can one around it.

How likely is that? I'm thinking so it's not common or likely and they will have to cross a covered zone to do it.

I'm a little familiar with "true" day/night terminology and cut filters but I'm not clear on what you're calling "HEAT". Is this a technology/feature or a brand?

Is infrared necessary considering the area we need to capture is brightly lit up with high pressure sodium lighting? The exterior lights are on so long as it's dark. Why complicate things with what seems like unneeded technology that brings up the cost of purchase as well as the cost of maintenance?

I was considering vari-focal but a photographer was telling me a fixed focus will give a better capture. ? (I may have misunderstood.)

This was my initial list of features I thought I might need:

1. tamper and weather resistant enclosures

2. auto iris

3. vari-focal lens (?)

3. heaters (?)

4. True Day/Night capability (Goes to B/W at night for better quality shots under artificial lighting)

The interior back door is "near dark after close" or more specifically dark but there is a low level fluorescent 25 feet away that is partially obstructed.

The interior front door is equally as dark after close.

So far as DVR's go I'm looking at the 16 channel lines of Intellicam, Pelco and Gantz but seeing this is the "camera" area I thought I'd post separately about that.

The HEAT camera by Speco is just a model name for one of their cameras. I'm not sure what you mean by high pressure sodium lighting but if the area is well lit then you don't need infrared on your cameras. However for you interior front and back door you may want an infrared camera, low-light cam, or motion lights since you said it is very dark.

You will need enclosures or heaters if the cameras are not weatherproof or they will be in direct contact with rain, elements. I mentioned the varifocal just because I like to adjust the view. But if you know the area you want to cover a fixed lens would be okay. I beleive there are calculators online to determine the view, distance for certain lenses. As far as a fixed vs vari-focal, I'm not sure if there is any benefit from a fixed lens.

I've done three of these and all were happy!

http://www.intellicamusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=101

As for cameras there's a lot to choose from. I've had very good results with b&w box type cameras, I find thrm to have a lot of detail and work really well in low light.

Around my home I'm using some .05 lux b&w cams with a single sv light 30ft away, and the area is easy to see. You can find this type of camera on Ebay for about $25.~$40. each. A nice fuji lens will run about the same.

I've used this model and they worked well ; http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Panasonic-CCTV-Security-Camera-WV-BP554-Hi-Res-new_W0QQitemZ110275715951QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110275715951&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

GL.

I've done three of these and all were happy!

[link removed to get post through the dumb filters]

That is the RTA line, what about it do you prefer over the XLA?

I was looking at the G4-16XLA.

As for cameras there's a lot to choose from. I've had very good results with b&w box type cameras, I find thrm to have a lot of detail and work really well in low light.

Around my home I'm using some .05 lux b&w cams with a single sv light 30ft away, and the area is easy to see. You can find this type of camera on Ebay for about $25.~$40. each. A nice fuji lens will run about the same.

I've used this model and they worked well ; [link removed to get post through the dumb filters]

Those look to be a discontinued model.. any manufacturer specs available?

The price is enticing and they may work for large area coverage where I'm not particular about details.

Thanks for the help,

cat

The HEAT camera by Speco is just a model name for one of their cameras. I'm not sure what you mean by high pressure sodium lighting but if the area is well lit then you don't need infrared on your cameras. However for you interior front and back door you may want an infrared camera, low-light cam, or motion lights since you said it is very dark.

You will need enclosures or heaters if the cameras are not weatherproof or they will be in direct contact with rain, elements. I mentioned the varifocal just because I like to adjust the view. But if you know the area you want to cover a fixed lens would be okay. I beleive there are calculators online to determine the view, distance for certain lenses. As far as a fixed vs vari-focal, I'm not sure if there is any benefit from a fixed lens.

Roger the infrared camera, low-light cam, thanks!