metafizx

IR Bugs ?

This might seem to be a strange observation, but hopefully others have seen this...

Everytime I watch IR cameras at night, I see strange bugs flying around or crawling around.

Stuff I can't normally see with my eyes or camera in daylight.

They are definitely some sort of bug that seems to only show itself under IR illumination. Flying in and out of the cameras' view.

Also in another project, I noticed a strange kind of bug crawl out onto a fence every night, about the same time, same path. They came out late at night, so I wasn't able to actually be present to see if the bugs were visible by flashlight.

Please someone confirm my observations ! I feel like a UFO enthusiast!

I'm not on any medication, nor should be (as far as I know).

nah there just beetles mosquitos and moths. There attracted to the light, also some insects are nocturnel. They only come out at night, alot of spiders come out too...

nah there just beetles mosquitos and moths. There attracted to the light, also some insects are nocturnel. They only come out at night, alot of spiders come out too...

that must be it, but there are some unexplained critters.

for example, I was trying out a IR cam tonight indoors at a shop looking down from a second level balcony.

Lights on, there's nothing apparent in the air.

Then..

switch lights off, observe image on monitor, IR is picking up weird flying things all over.

lights on, nothing there. WEIRD !

I do think some of it is just debris in the air, dust particles and junk floating on air currents -- the IR seems to magnify their presence. but there are also "flying" objects that appear like bugs, certainly not stuff floating.

You are going to find that IR reflects off all sorts of stuff. This is not unusual. Even dust in the air, close to the lens, will reflect IR light. I have to answer the same question to almost all of my customers, especially the ones who live in rural areas. All bugs, critters, wood, leaves, dust, etc. will show up more prominent on these outdoor IR cameras. Did I also mention spiders ? Especially spiders and their webs.

It was probably dust or pollen clumps or something of this sort, nothing unexplainable. There is always something in the air we just don't always see it or run into it.

Kinda like when you were a kid running through the woods and you would run into spiderwebs and freak out.

Haha... ohhh the good ole days.

Thanks,

John

I get the same thing and have determined that it is just dust - at least that is all that it is indoors. Outdoors, I haven't seen bugs attracted to the IR.

Look at this one I caught in my camera the other night

WoW! you guys grow'em big around there...

What is that pile on the floor?

Look at this one I caught in my camera the other night

WoW! you guys grow'em big around there...

What is that pile on the floor?

Looks like a BIG frosted flake!

Wheres the milk?

Yes, it is just dust, bugs, ECT. You can see this in the night a lot more because the IR's kick in and it's light shining a flashlight into the dark. You will see right what's in front of you.

Does anyone not get these indoors? Does an auto adjusting IR that is linked to the vari-focal lens make a difference?

Does an auto adjusting IR that is linked to the vari-focal lens make a difference?

Nope, it will pick up pollen, dust, bugs, etc. regardless of camera or lens.

My Camera is inside a shop, a very clean shop with no bugs that I can find, yet I constantly see the same flying objects. From reading this post I now must assume it is dust floating around. It was driving me nuts spraying insect killer around to no avail!