l need to know if the red is the positive and black the negative to connect to the altronix 8 cam power supply.Its a simple quetion to you guys however l am relatively new at this and dont want to make any mistakes.I am doing th install tomorrow confident l will do ok from the info you guys have given me and advice.

l am installing 1- panasonic 474fw dome,1-panasonic974 fw box camera and 1 flexi dome xt and l have existing cameras also.l am installing a nvico xg dvr w/400 gig hd and also the cameras are being connected to an 8 cam altronix power supply.

l learnt to focus cameras using a small tv near the camera running a cable from the out connection to the tv and using appropriate connector.

anyway, just to say thanks for everybodys expertise and info,this is by far the best forum on the internet.

if its 12VDC yes, if its 24VAC then it doesnt matter.

So, to clarify, AC doesn't matter? That's because it's either hot or neutral, right?

I have this Nuvico CV-H easy view dome cam. The power lead coming from the camera has no specification of + -

Thanks

If your camera has a connector for power then the center is 12 volts dc positive, and the outer part is the negative.

Install the camera wires first than hook up the power supply. I have seen some people hook up the power supply, and then go and crimp on some electrical "butts". In the process they shorten the wire by cutting off an inch or two. The cutters cut across the black and the red wire causing a short. You may or not blow the power supply. If you are lucky you will only have to change a fuse.

those panasonic cameras wont be phased if you accidently reverse the positive and negative.

uhhhhh.....SO I AM TOLD. i NEVER DID THAT

in all seriousness we have done that before and thank God that it does not phase them.

sorry, I guess I could have been more specific.

it's a Screw on terminal.

Green molex looking screw on connection.

I took a chance and hooked it up anyway.

Obviously AC doesn't matter, so everything works fine.

Good idea to always check electrical connections/output with a decent multimeter. This way, if you have the DC voltage wired incorrectly, you would be able to tell before ruining a DC camera. I carry my Fluke meter with me always. My "home" Fluke, is the type with clamp-on top, so it can be setup to be visible while using the leads for troubleshooting.