kdreger

Help for Camp please

Well, I have just about had it!

We have 4 IR cams installed at our campground that run hardwired into a CCTV-DVR system. We hafe SkyBlue as our ISP via a Sat. Link that seems to run ok for speed. From the SkyBlue modem I run a ethernet wire into my Linksys router main port and from that I have a ethernet cable that runs over to our DVR in a trailer.

I have port 50000 being forwarded from the linksys router to the fixed IP address of the DVR 192.168.001.102.

There is no PC in this configuration for the DVR system, just the DVR & CCTV & Router & Modem.

All windows firewall settings are turned off also.

We are useing the tools from a vendor who has a web interface a ddns provider, and our system is registered there with its MAC address etc.

I seem to be able to "Touch" the DVR via the WAN because the Ethernet light comes on when I make that connection, BUT I have no pictures of the monitors we have!

This was working about 2 months ago, but we had a line break and had to replace it. WE tested the new line prior to reinstalling it and it checked out just fine.

So, is or are there other things I need to do to make this darn thing work?

I need this up last month to watch over camp while we are not there...

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I don't know the DVR brand YET, but will get it in a day or so.

Ken

Edited by Guest

Do you have a monitor connected to your dvr and are there pictures from the camera's there? Are you using a laptop to atempt to connect via Wan?

Our DVR has a 15" CRT monitor directley attached to the DVR. That works just fine with all 4 cams showing up in that screen locally in the trailer where the DVR is.

I have tried a Laptop and desktop to connect to the WAN, and both fail when viewing, both are running XP-Pro and have lots of memory and hard drive space.

Ok so we know the cams are working and we have pictures at the headend, we have a problem in the networking. Is this connected to the modem or to a router and then the modem? Is the DVR set for a static IP? Do you have port forwarding done? Sorry about all the Questions, but the more info we have the better the answers.

Rick, I agree, it has to be some type of network issue. I have gone over all of the articles here in the networking areas that were posted also.

Ok so we know the cams are working and we have pictures at the headend, we have a problem in the networking. Is this connected to the modem or to a router and then the modem? Is the DVR set for a static IP? Do you have port forwarding done? Sorry about all the Questions, but the more info we have the better the answers.

We have pictures at the DVR & CRT, the DVR is connected via a ethernet line from the trailer to the Linksys router which is then ethernet connected to the WildBlue Modem about 2' away.

The DVR has a FIXED IP address I assigned for it of 192.168.1.102 and never changes. I have port 50000 set up on the DVR to be the active port, and yes it is forwarded from the router to the IP address of the DVR.

Ken

I have never had a dvr with port forwarding using 50000, you might want to try placing the dvr Ip on the dmz of the router, that way it will be outside of the routers firewall and see if you can connect that way.

Rick, I plan on going down to camp Friday, will set up the router with the DMZ then, thank you for the assistance.

Rick, I plan on going down to camp Friday, will set up the router with the DMZ then, thank you for the assistance.

What happens if you attempt an NMAP scan or a tracert to the DVR?

Have not tried those yet, but will put in my bad of test ideas for Friday.

I assume that I have to be on the LAN to do these commands.

I just did a NMAP here from home to the camp site and here are the results:

Starting Nmap 4.68 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-08-20 09:39 Pacific Daylight Time

Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 09:39

Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 09:39, 0.09s elapsed

Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 09:39

Scanning 75-104-107-132.cust.wildblue.net (75.104.107.132) [1715 ports]

Discovered open port 80/tcp on 75.104.107.132

Discovered open port 8080/tcp on 75.104.107.132

Increasing send delay for 75.104.107.132 from 0 to 5 due to 12 out of 29 dropped probes since last increase.

Increasing send delay for 75.104.107.132 from 5 to 10 due to 11 out of 17 dropped probes since last increase.

Completed SYN Stealth Scan at 09:40, 47.91s elapsed (1715 total ports)

Initiating Service scan at 09:40

Scanning 2 services on 75-104-107-132.cust.wildblue.net (75.104.107.132)

Completed Service scan at 09:40, 5.01s elapsed (2 services on 1 host)

Initiating OS detection (try #1) against 75-104-107-132.cust.wildblue.net (75.104.107.132)

Retrying OS detection (try #2) against 75-104-107-132.cust.wildblue.net (75.104.107.132)

Initiating Traceroute at 09:40

75.104.107.132: guessing hop distance at 1

Completed Traceroute at 09:40, 0.00s elapsed

SCRIPT ENGINE: Initiating script scanning.

Initiating SCRIPT ENGINE at 09:40

Completed SCRIPT ENGINE at 09:40, 1.03s elapsed

Host 75-104-107-132.cust.wildblue.net (75.104.107.132) appears to be up ... good.

Interesting ports on 75-104-107-132.cust.wildblue.net (75.104.107.132):

Not shown: 1713 closed ports

PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION

80/tcp open http?

|_ HTML title: Site doesn't have a title.

8080/tcp open http-proxy?

Device type: firewall

Running (JUST GUESSING) : ZyXEL ZyNOS 3.X (96%)

Aggressive OS guesses: ZyXEL ZyWALL 2 or Prestige 660HW-61 ADSL router (ZyNOS 3.62) (96%)

No exact OS matches for host (test conditions non-ideal).

TRACEROUTE (using port 80/tcp)

HOP RTT ADDRESS

1 0.00 75-104-107-132.cust.wildblue.net (75.104.107.132)

Read data files from: C:\Program Files\Nmap

OS and Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at http://nmap.org/submit/ .

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 61.270 seconds

Raw packets sent: 2814 (128.920KB) | Rcvd: 1743 (80.170KB)

Alright, seems simple enough. You have a firewall in between the linksys and the rest of the world. Most likely it's at the modem but it could be the ISP.

Thomas, I saw that also, but this did work for many months with no change to the Sat Modem from us.

I was thinking about the configuration settings in the DVR, and there is a DDNS screen that we use to connect to the DDNS provider. When we try to register the DVR we get a message that it FAILS to register!

I think that the address of the DDNS provider may be wrong!

Ken

Thomas, I saw that also, but this did work for many months with no change to the Sat Modem from us.

I was thinking about the configuration settings in the DVR, and there is a DDNS screen that we use to connect to the DDNS provider. When we try to register the DVR we get a message that it FAILS to register!

I think that the address of the DDNS provider may be wrong!

Ken

It could be.

Well, I am here at camp, and figured out HOW to get the Darn DDNS registered! went to the manual, and it had an IP address in it that I just plugged into the DDNS registration menue, and said register! I opened a browser up with that same IP address, and it was the DDNS provider I have been useing all along! But now the DVR registers!

So, I got into the Linksys router and port forwarded all the ports I have found in postings here to the DVR's IP address.

I open the Remote viewerwhile on INTERNET now and set the userid and password and port number along with the EXTERNAL IP address and the Ethernet light comes ON at the DVR! But no pictures on the laptop, SAME thing happens if I use the INTRANET internal IP address 192.168.1.102.

I have tried setting various Pelco_D, PELCO-P Baud rattings and still same results.

DVR seems to be Best Quality JPEG2000, 8 Channel Stand Alone DVR

Ken

hello there,

not to throw a rench your way, but call your ISP provider and ask weather or not the ip address that is given to your system is static or dynamic ranging. my guess is that you have a dynamic ranging ip address unless you are a buisness..thus you cant connect to the dvr since the ip never stays the same to the outside world. you have done all the correct work on the router side.if you do have a static ip then ask them for the ip, gateway,subnet, and DNS 1 and DNS 2. i think your problem lies here. good luck

hello there,

not to throw a rench your way, but call your ISP provider and ask weather or not the ip address that is given to your system is static or dynamic ranging. my guess is that you have a dynamic ranging ip address unless you are a buisness..thus you cant connect to the dvr since the ip never stays the same to the outside world. you have done all the correct work on the router side.if you do have a static ip then ask them for the ip, gateway,subnet, and DNS 1 and DNS 2. i think your problem lies here. good luck

I check the IP address prior to connecting, I have a laptop at camp where I run Logmein so I can see it remotley and get the external IP address so that is not the issue. It connects to the inside DVR, we see the light go active on the DVR unit, but NO images are getting transferred back to the viewer at the other end....

sorry, i was hoping it was gonna be simple..what kind of DVR and soft ware are you running, does the dvr have a monitor output on it and if so do you recieve pics locally at the unit? im sure you have done this already but have you checked the video prior to it entering the DVR for assurance the pics are there? some DVR's require that you activate the port the camera is going into..you sound pretty knowledgable so im sure you have done all this. just trying to get a feel for what has and has not been done yet. i would really like to see this work for you. good luck.

sorry, i was hoping it was gonna be simple..what kind of DVR and soft ware are you running, does the dvr have a monitor output on it and if so do you recieve pics locally at the unit? im sure you have done this already but have you checked the video prior to it entering the DVR for assurance the pics are there? some DVR's require that you activate the port the camera is going into..you sound pretty knowledgable so im sure you have done all this. just trying to get a feel for what has and has not been done yet. i would really like to see this work for you. good luck.

The DVR is called Best picture Quality-JPEG2000

The pictures show up on the local monitor just fine, and each cam is enabled to record on 5 sec intervals.

i just read the manual for the DVR. in chapter 6 it shows multiple set ups for independant situations.. which case letter did you set your paricular setup under. this will be helpful information..is the port on your laptop also set up as 50000...are you logged in as admin on your laptop? is the ip of the laptop in the same range of the dvr?if you dont wish to answer the questions then I understand it gets tiresome..im just trying to make sense of it all. you said it worked under the previous setup for a while.I dont suppose you can use restore points on your laptop to bring it back to that period of time when it was working can you? if you do take that step then be sure to back up all current files and folders before doing so.

i just read the manual for the DVR. in chapter 6 it shows multiple set ups for independant situations.. which case letter did you set your paricular setup under. this will be helpful information..is the port on your laptop also set up as 50000...are you logged in as admin on your laptop? is the ip of the laptop in the same range of the dvr?if you dont wish to answer the questions then I understand it gets tiresome..im just trying to make sense of it all. you said it worked under the previous setup for a while.I dont suppose you can use restore points on your laptop to bring it back to that period of time when it was working can you? if you do take that step then be sure to back up all current files and folders before doing so.

The Laptop is independent of the DVR, and the prior setup was with a smaller 4 camera setup that has been removed and replaced with the 8 cam setup.

Port 50000 is setup at the DRV & Router, the router is forwarding 50000 directley to the DVR as we can see the yellow Ethernet light go active when we connect to it, but no picture shows up on the remote viwewer.

have you placed the port setting in the software on your laptop or the remote viewer also to 50000. also. you may want to call the tech support for the DVR and ask them if there is a firmware upgrade that needs to be done in order to move from the four to the eight , they may not have placed the proper information in the manual. that happens alot. is the laptop your using configured for the ip range that the DVR is using?

also you may want to check that the firmware version from the DVR and the remote viewer are the same. If you have aready done all this then sorry to waste your time reading. curious little problem your having that is for sure.

one more thing i thought about.. have you turned off the internal firewall in the securities portion of the laptop. are you running windows or vista platform

have you placed the port setting in the software on your laptop or the remote viewer also to 50000. also. you may want to call the tech support for the DVR and ask them if there is a firmware upgrade that needs to be done in order to move from the four to the eight , they may not have placed the proper information in the manual. that happens alot. is the laptop your using configured for the ip range that the DVR is using?

also you may want to check that the firmware version from the DVR and the remote viewer are the same. If you have aready done all this then sorry to waste your time reading. curious little problem your having that is for sure.

Yes, the software here on my PC is configured for port 50000 which is what the DVR is useing and is on the router at camp. Have not checked the firmware level yet, but this is a new DVR, only 2 months old now.

I don't have the MFG web site to get any info about it, if you can point me to that this also might help, I have looked all over for one, looks like it may be a 3rd party brand of another mfgr.

one more thing i thought about.. have you turned off the internal firewall in the securities portion of the laptop. are you running windows or vista platform

Yes, I have XP Pro, and disabled ALL firewalls.