john3565

home cctv footage within the law?

i have installed two cctv cameras onto dvr recorded to pc using capture card.iam having problems with trouble outside of the range/veiw of the cameras.hi have set the veiw just at the boundary of my fence as per request from police.how can i move the veiw so i can see the villans at work just on the main road

cheers :?

i have installed two cctv cameras onto dvr recorded to pc using capture card.iam having problems with trouble outside of the range/veiw of the cameras.hi have set the veiw just at the boundary of my fence as per request from police.how can i move the veiw so i can see the villans at work just on the main road

cheers

Well you move the cameras or you use a pan-tilt head.

really i was asking what are layman terms of what level i can record without police intervention.can i record with the cameras veiw up enough to capture vehicles passing on the road outside of my boundry

really i was asking what are layman terms of what level i can record without police intervention.can i record with the cameras veiw up enough to capture vehicles passing on the road outside of my boundry

It will vary by state and this is best answered by a lawyer which I am not. The general guideline is that you can record anything in public unless someone has a reasonable expectation of privacy. So the road is fine...unless your field of view includes your neighbors bedroom. Or if you're going to see over a large privacy fence.

If in the UK for home use a CCTV notice to show you are recording images maybe used to inform public. Also a pan tilt as previously mentioned is a good idea. Discuss with neighbours to inform them what is happening and that you maybe intruding across premises. If in UK and still unsure you can contact the Information Commisioners office who will confirm your rights.