well it happened...

disgruntled tenant that was evicted came back on a bicycle yesterday and within 1 minute reached up and sliced ALL the cctv camera cables. Video and power.

Good thing is the camera got him pretty good coming into the parking lot. Hopefully is clear enough for the police.

Now I have the fun job of splicing together everything.

A few lessons learned...

- think about what a vandal would do to your installation.

- assess vulnerabilities

- camera(s) to watch key areas of the cctv system

( he cut the cables going into the room where the DVR is )

That happened to a client of ours too. Unfortunately for the Bozo, he used a hacksaw to cut through the conduit he thought the cables were in. He cut through the electric line for the sodium lights instead. Oooops. The cameras caught it all. Nice going Sparky!

well it happened...

disgruntled tenant that was evicted came back on a bicycle yesterday and within 1 minute reached up and sliced ALL the cctv camera cables. Video and power.

Good thing is the camera got him pretty good coming into the parking lot. Hopefully is clear enough for the police.

A few lessons learned...

- assess vulnerabilities

Pleas a picture!

problem with "protecting" cables is that the client usually don't want it due to T&M costs. Best bang for the buck sells more than the best. sad but true. Unless the Goverment is buying.then it's nothing but the best since the bill is ours.

problem with "protecting" cables is that the client usually don't want it due to T&M costs. Best bang for the buck sells more than the best. sad but true. Unless the Goverment is buying.then it's nothing but the best since the bill is ours.

True story!

Yep, that is true! I have done quite a bit of CCTV installation works for Government agencies, and they usually indeed order just the best of the best. Even in lots of public schools. I'm still not sure if the cameras are of any use there.

Nice, I bet they will catch him.

One of my favorite videos is watching a dually back up, the guy in the bed throws a chain over the camera (other side connected to the 5th wheel) and the last thing the camera see's is the chain going tight. Great face shot and license plate from the video too. High school prank was the ultimate outcome of that one.

Nice, I bet they will catch him.

One of my favorite videos is watching a dually back up, the guy in the bed throws a chain over the camera (other side connected to the 5th wheel) and the last thing the camera see's is the chain going tight. Great face shot and license plate from the video too. High school prank was the ultimate outcome of that one.

post the video

Even in lots of public schools. I'm still not sure if the cameras are of any use there.

Sure are of great use. My friend is in the middle of a nasty custody battle for his kid. He now has full custody, but the kid wants to live with mom in a different state. School CCTV was used to track the kid the day the kid "disappeared" and ran away. Police further used it to identify who the kid had talked to while at school that day, and furthermore was able to get uncooperative friends "I didn't see him/her today at all, I have no idea officer" to become honest when shown the video of them talking all day "ok, here is what they said they were going to do, look for them here".

The films described here sound interesting! I had a bit of a look on youtube but only found people vandalising other things caught on CCTV, not as exciting really.

do you use conduit in your installations. we always struggle with securing the cabling and the added cost of running conduit in a competitive bid situation.

well it happened...

A few lessons learned...

- assess vulnerabilities

Wow! Always fun. At least you got the guy on camera!

My best client requires no camera be mounted below 12' also all cable is run inside until the transition to exterior and then the cable is armored or concealed within the mount or enclosure where feasable. I try to factor at least $100 min. for consumables like conduit. I hope you are being properly compensated for your efforts. I tell all my clients my tech rate for troubleshooting/repair is X amount of dollars if I have to return to install conduit. As we all know wire stretchers are rare and hard to come by. lol At least armor up to 12'-13' If you can dunk a basketball, you can cut a cable or slam a camera.

Would love to see a video of SPARKY!

pyro