CCTV_Suppliers

Google Chrome (BETA) for Windows

Has anyone started using this new web browser yet?

http://www.google.com/chrome/index.html?hl=en&brand=CHMG&utm_source=en-hpp&utm_medium=hpp&utm_campaign=en

I started using it as soon as they had this latest version... it is fast, very fast... actually it is faster than Opera that I have been using along with Firefox... and Opera was faster than Firefox...

What is great about this new web browser is that it eventually could be part of the Google's Android platform, which right now is being tested with some limited hand helds...

Has anyone started using this new web browser yet?

http://www.google.com/chrome/index.html?hl=en&brand=CHMG&utm_source=en-hpp&utm_medium=hpp&utm_campaign=en

I started using it as soon as they had this latest version... it is fast, very fast... actually it is faster than Opera that I have been using along with Firefox... and Opera was faster than Firefox...

What is great about this new web browser is that it eventually could be part of the Google's Android platform, which right now is being tested with some limited hand helds...

I've been using it a few days. It's ok. I like the "create application shortcut" and chrome seems to handle .pdf's and some links better then Firefox 3.

At first I was surprised by the lack of buttons and menus but now I see I don't need all that stuff in my face. Kinda nice to have all the extra real estate for the actual web pages I'm trying to view.

There was a bit of a stink caused by the licence agreement for chrome when it first came out, some people noticed that the agreement stated something along the lines of you grant google the right to all content passed through the browers or similar.

Cant recall the exact wording, but it was a really, really nasty clause, and google got pulled up over it..

They have apologised and said they would be removing the clause (they blamed it on using boilerplate terms, and copying the terms from another product by mistake) and the clause would not apply even to those who agreed to the earlier terms.

So, from now on, Im going to be reading googles t&c carefully, in case they try to sneak anything like this through again....

Yup, I remember the problems associated with license to use Chrome...

I personally do not think that they "forgot" to look at such license clause and hoped that people will not read them.... I also do not think that it was unintentional either... Large corporation do not make big mistakes like license clause unintentionally...

I have been using it for over a week now.. and I am very impressed. Speed of extracting content from the WEB is very fast... Considering the fact that I used basically everything out there in the past, Chrome has shown a potential to be the best web browser yet...

Rory, you are no fun

I guess you have something against Google?

I thought you are the man who likes to try new stuff, aren't you?

OK, what is it that you do not like about this new web browser? Not that it is a perfect solution and it still has many changes that it will go through, but from what I see it, works very well...

Nuttin, FireFox is working great for me, so I have no need to use that one

The only new things id like to try now is a new jeep, a new job, and a new place to live

I tried it for half an hour. There was too much continuous disk activity without any explanation, plus it installs a background program "googleupdate.exe" without appearing to have any way to disable it.

Much happier with FF at this time.

I may just be alittle paranoid, but I heard Google were asked to hand over info to the US Government about what people search for, they won a case so that they would not have to...would not be surprised to see that this might be funded by the US government, so they can track the sites people go to.

Also the goolge maps concerns me....especially the nifty street view...I mean whats the first thing you do when you first see that site...look at your own place...so with your credit history...and I am betting with the global crisis on credit, they will want stronger searching powers..looking at your transactions.

That RFID chip on your credit card scares me as well, I think it will all link to one database eventually.

If you bought something on your credit card, and you have your mobile and credit card on you...both RFID chipped and some clothing like shoes that have also started to be chipped then when the RFID can be searched from a satelitte it could be scary.

For example, if there are a mass of signatures of RFID at your house that were all bought on your credit card, and a mass of signatures at your GF's house because you left stuff there or bought something like a present for her, and you hae both used google maps...then they know not only what you own..what you like, what you buy but who you know.

it all seems a little scary to me...they are even talking about chipping humans..I can see this heading towards a scary place and a cashless society

I was reading a news article somewhere in BBC... and based on how Google behaves, they were calling Google the EVIL, Conspirator and god knows what else. What was not clear is why Google had their "Privacy" clause unclear at best.. and not only for this web browser, but also their search engine usage...

Somehow the same article suggested that Microsoft is nowhere close to the power of Google in indexing, storing and keeping information online... They even had to change one of their tactics, which stated that whatever you do through their networks, they were suppose to keeping such info at least 9 years and apparently that was changed for 90 days... and who is to enforce this?

I liked this new web browser for a simple reason - it is faster that Opera, which I used many years.. Nobody states anything what Microsoft IE, Opera and even Firefox have in their agenda for doing the same as Google..

I guess when the company is as powerful as Google, it is always a target...

These sorts of rumors, whether true or not, could easily get out of hand and become folklore, and significantly devalue the company.

Yet I was not able to find any explanation on their help and FAQ pages for this disk activity, something I've noted others have complained about.

I found a link to German company that has apparently recompiled the open-source Chrome in a less-invasive form and called it "Iron." I haven't tried this so can't vouch for it, but did note the installation program is in German - hopefully the resulting browser install is not.

http://is.gd/3cl0

well nothing to do with the browser, but something i dont like about google is how the search results are different depending on your location. Also, not a fan of their search technology on a whole, back links is a flawed concept IMO. Anyway, yesterday it was infoseek, then it was google, tomorrow it will be something else. Im not going to hate on them though, they came far from where they started, though they were in the right place at the right time. Bottom line is if you put information on the internet, anyone can get it, not just google.

I disagree that doing a google search is putting your info on the net, it should be private...if you like to dres in females clothes then thats your business LOL

Honestly data information is worth its weight in gold these days, god knows it is part of what we do, t scares me when your PC auto updates to the latest browsers etc if you dont know what you are doing.

I am more concerned about these RFID chips than anything else, they plan to chip humans and have already started, these chips could replace money and are trackable via satelitte, its concernign if you think about it...its ok in most countries, but could you imagine it in China.....

It could affect peoples votes, cash and people could be completely wiped out (all money and personal info) if they didnt vote the right way.

It is currently possible to update electronic pricing tags of items in a whole store with RFID and even through fluero lighting....for example..what time of day do you buy your bear...5:30 PM, lest put every can in the state up 10c for 2hrs...bang.

RFID really scares me because a lot of items are now manufactured with it, it is in the layers of some footwear, even built into clothes etc, I understand that this makes it easier to find people...but it also makes it easier to monopolise the populas.

As for Google..like I said it is just my opinion...but with Wallmart asking for everythign they sell...every item to be RFID and Google possibly knowing everything you want to buy, it all adds up to scary for me!

A thought...... if the credit crisis then dictates that the government now has better rights ...or perhaps a new department to allow it to check your financial spending in more detail...then they are going to get around the banks privacy concerns..for example if the government bails out some banks, you can bet that flexibility on the privacy agreements will be violated...what does this mean...well think about this..

If you wanted to find someone, especially if in a cashless society (RFID) you could do the following.

Track the cell phone

Check the last know location from anyone with GPS linked to google maps

Look at purchase history to find what items they have bought then search for those RF ID's

Look at where you shop for a likely location...what bus you catch, where you buy your paper, where you go for a movie...it is endless

If you order things online...for example..movie tickets, they know where you are going to be.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I have looked into this very thoroughly...over the last few years laws have been relaxed for detaining and arresting people, details of financial transactions have been logged more than ever and now I expect banks to follow suit.

Put it this way...lets say you found out something bad about the government, lets say you saw a military operation go wrong, or government officals behaving wrong...they can arrest you for nothing....hold you for ages..interrogate you without question under the new terror laws, then they (if a cashless society) can wipe your credit and wipe your families credit in an instant, how would they know those details, quite easily, after all you call them dont you, you use a bank to give them money, you buy things for them.

I know this all sounds weird and paranoid, but look into RFID its a scary technology and I am not the only person who has concerns.

well nothing to do with the browser, but something i dont like about google is how the search results are different depending on your location. Also, not a fan of their search technology on a whole, back links is a flawed concept IMO. Anyway, yesterday it was infoseek, then it was google, tomorrow it will be something else. Im not going to hate on them though, they came far from where they started, though they were in the right place at the right time. Bottom line is if you put information on the internet, anyone can get it, not just google.

Yup... funny how search engines came and went or some of them are still around and yet, nobody cares for them... Good old AOL is a prime example...

Yup... funny how search engines came and went or some of them are still around and yet, nobody cares for them... Good old AOL is a prime example...

honestly i only use google now as thats the default search engine in firefox, im too lazy to change that

My good friend in Australia, in my humble opinion, you are touching off very sensitive topic - NWO - New World Order... and this topic itself could take the entire forum time and resources to discuss...

Every U.S. currency (not the coins) has this verbiage in Latin. I am not sure about Australian or Canadian currency, but if you closely look, it is there and has been from the time it started printing...

RFID is very small part of this larger picture... I have gotten acquainted with this technology many years ago and I was part of a design efforts for a company that I will keep nameless... Initial RFID gadgets were very large and over time, has gotten smaller and smaller.. and right now it is a very small size chip... I know in U.S. they are tagging animals right now and it works... and the main reason is that in case if you loose your pet, they are easily recoverable... Many pet care providers actually offer this "service"...

Do I have to say more? I rather not discuss this topic any further please..

As for Google, well, they are doing what any other company in their position will do.. I know in same cases they were instructed by courts to release information and apparently they did not. The question is how long will they surf against the tide and "protect everyone's privacy" and yet, still make money. It will take a federal court order and ordinance for compliance and they will have no choice but to comply. I think it is matter of time until they open their doors...

Many ISPs already caved in... Comcast as an example already violated so many privacy laws and yet, they have not been handed down any federal level legal action... and because of their cooperation in sharing their customer's information with anyone they choose...

Is it a conspiracy, I do not think so. I rather believe that they feel so above the law that they can do whatever they please and who will go against them if the government does not want to intervene... However, we have seen companies like Comcast come and go and their "we can do whatever we want" attitude always results to their financial demise...

These sorts of rumors, whether true or not, could easily get out of hand and become folklore, and significantly devalue the company.

Yet I was not able to find any explanation on their help and FAQ pages for this disk activity, something I've noted others have complained about.

I found a link to German company that has apparently recompiled the open-source Chrome in a less-invasive form and called it "Iron." I haven't tried this so can't vouch for it, but did note the installation program is in German - hopefully the resulting browser install is not.

My friend in New Zealand, I do not think we are saying anything here that could potentially devalue Google... and that was not the intention of this thread... rather talking about their new web browser...

By the way, great recommendation on the IRON - I am typing this post using this newer web browser... I do not see any difference compared to Google's version and may be because it is the same code without all the extras... It is fast and works good... and thanks for sharing this info.

Really though, i wont use it because FF works just fine for me ( i may try it one day when i get "free" time). But if google is tracking users etc, why wouldnt yahoo and MS be doing the same such as with their IM programs which are used by millions of people. All the more reason to know your OS inside and out

Then again, compared to FF, im going to think perhaps google has some kind of string attached to theirs (just think, doesnt mean they do), cause they are so into ads and making money, while Mozilla is not that I know of?

Rory, according to Mozilla Corporation release publications, it looks like they raked in $72 Million dollars just from Google alone by introducing or better yet, mandating Google search bar on their Firefox top right corner... and every time we use it for our search, Mozilla Corporation is making money...

Of course, there is nothing wrong in making money... but, Mozilla is not as "free" as you and many think... They are in full compliance with what Google wants... As matter of fact, one of their top engineers is actually in Google's payroll.. and why that is someone may ask?

So, what we use today in the Internet are very well integrated with each other along with mainly Google's plans.. and this is the main reason why Microsoft is really pissed off.. and unable to match up what Google has done or still is doing... thinking that by buying Yahoo it would have helped to combat against Google and what did Google do? They signed a contract with Yahoo to "share" revenues and making Yahoo some billion dollars for the next few years...

So, who's got more power? Is it Microsoft that controls 95% of the desktops or Google who controls 80% of the Internet... This is the million dollar question...

I am sure many read about Google's Android open source OS that suppose to operate with smart phones and looks like Google is eying Apple for their most successful lunch of IPHONE... I think their newest smart phone was introduced yesterday with T-Mobil G1 and of course, everyone already criticizing that it is not or will ever be like IPHONE... These type of assumption is based on such critics fears that what if Google again delivers and again becomes a major force in that new sector of the phone industry?

When everyone doubt if Google knows what they are doing, just follow all their accomplishments in the past.. There has not been once when they announced a new product or new concept, that most of the industry said it can't be done and yet, Google always delivered..

Looks to me Google knows more than what industry may want to believe.

After installing this new web browser, looks like I have a lot more hard drive activity than when Chrome is in operation... Initially I did not pay any attention until I noticed that every time it is up and running, looks like it is doing something at the back end... No way that I could confirm what are they doing...

I am going to look into this hard drive activities using both of these web browsers, regardless one is the derivative of the other...