RickA

12vdc camera's interferring

I had a call today with a customer that is having problems with IR bullet cam's and his garage door opener, He says that when he has all five camera's on the front of his house powered up and he is in his car in the garage that the opener will not work, if he takes power off the five camera's then he can use the opener up to a block away with no problems. The opener works on 315MHz and the camera's are 12vdc IR bullets, any ideas why?

Dumb Question number one...

Is this daytime, or night time?

I will assume night time as the IR LEDs are on.

Can you ask what garage door opener he has?

From a block away? That means he lives at the end of a street (cul de sac), or he lives at the top of a T intersection. IR is line of sight.

If it were a radio freq garage door opener then it could not be "blocked" by the IR.

Could it be that the IR cameras are powered at the same point as the receiver to the garage door opener, and that the cameras draw alot of power therefore starving the receiver from getting the power that it needs to function???

Hmmmmm???

This is a Liftmaster opener and it is RF not IR, and it is in Florida, not Canada. This is occuring all the time not at nite, the camera's are operating on 12vdc at 500ma, and they have a Stealth 16 channel 12vdc power supply. The only thing that I can think of is that the camera's must be emitting a RFI in this range.

Have you been out to the customers yet? Maybe try disconnecting one camera at a time to see if it may be just one defective camera emitting stray RFI.

Could it be the PS? Are they dual voltage cam's, if so try using a 24VAC supply instead?

I agree that it most likely is not the IR's causing it.

Does he have any neighbors close by? Are they having garage door issues because of his camera system?

Be thankful at least the garage door is not opening and closing on its own constantly

Thanks for the reply, no the camera's he is using are 12vdc, and no I can not go to the site, I am in the wrong state, wish I could but have to try to diagnose over the phone. Yes he is doing just that today, going camera by camera to see if it is just one that is doing this, I will be calling back this afternoon to see what the results are. If Scorpion was any good he could just go to the site for me and fix it.

If the power supply is a switching type try using a supply with a power transformer. I had a simular problem with wireless motion detectors that used the same approx frequency. It turnes out that the switching type power supply was generating some type of RFI.

Good Luck!

Strangely enough, we had a guy call in a few days ago and asked the same question. Same customer maybe? I think this guy was in Colorado though. Anyway, he had the same problem and all I told him to do is change the dip switches to a different rolling code. This fixed his problem and he is happier than ever. Maybe give this a go.