Wachhund

Compression Fittings

I just did a walk through for a system upgrade and noticed the former installer used BNC compression fittings at the DVR. The client wants the same fittings because "the first guy" (who moved away or something) told him the fittings were much better than crimp on and "Well worth the additional $10 a piece." Ten bucks a piece! Extra!

Is anyone using these compression fittings for standard indoor work? How about a mini-poll to see who uses what : Crimp on - Twist on - Compression. Let's see what wins. I know there are threads about this somewhere but let's see what's new......

We have switched completely to compression fittings for mini-coax but still use standard 3-piece crimp fittings for RG-59. The compression fittings we use for mini-coax are West Penn CN-CSBNC-25 and they cost less than $2.25 each; not $10.00. The tools were a little pricey - $75, but well worth the cost.

We have found that compression fittings hold the cable much better on mini-coax. Standard 3-piece fittings pulled off too easily. As far as we are concerned, twist-on fittings suck.

Used rg59 twist ons for years,I couldn't see the expense going from as low as 30cents wholesale a piece to 1.50-3.50 wholesale a piece compression.Then I got tired of going back to jobs where the dvr was moved alittle and got lost video or interf.from braids touching each other.I didn't want to pay the fifty bucks for a compression tool,and find I didn't Like It,or pay the dollars rather than cents for the connectors.Well I Did just that! Now I have never had to go back for the reasons above.Now I'll Just use twists for a quick test set up or something,But not on installs.However don't despair if you go through a couple at first till you get the knack,So buy extra's(It took me 7tries)to get it right. hope this helps.Oh! and another big plus is it looks very clean to the customer.

Twist ons for me. Never had a problem with them.

Tip: If one cant hang from their twist on connection then it isnt done properly.

And since they want you to use Compression Fittings, are they:

1-Cooling the DVR correctly?

2-Using Voltage Regulation?

3-Using Vandal Proof Cameras?

4-Using Vandal Proof Cable?

5-What about the Power connections?

6-Making the criminals not wear masks?

PS. Twist ons cost $6 here so imagine compression fittings, probably like $60 per camera!

Edited by Guest

Twist ons for me. Never had a problem with them.

Tip: If one cant hang from their twist on connection then it isnt done properly.

And since they want you to use Compression Fittings, are they:

1-Cooling the DVR correctly?

2-Using Voltage Regulation?

3-Using Vandal Proof Cameras?

4-Using Vandal Proof Cable?

5-What about the Power connections?

6-Making the criminals not wear masks?

PS. Twist ons cost $6 here so imagine compression fittings, probably like

$60 per camera!

Rory- I'm glad I'm here.....twist on cost about .99. This is clearly a case of an opportunistic installer taking advantage of the client. I tried to explain the situation but when he found out the connections are almost the same in price the light bulb above his head blinked and he said...."Oh". He still wants the compression fittings though. He wants everything to look uniform............

Rory- I'm glad I'm here.....twist on cost about .99. This is clearly a case of an opportunistic installer taking advantage of the client. I tried to explain the situation but when he found out the connections are almost the same in price the light bulb above his head blinked and he said...."Oh". He still wants the compression fittings though. He wants everything to look uniform............

Well make it look uniform! Just go back to all the compression fittings cut them and re-do them in crimps :P

No really, I use bnc twist as well and I haven't had a single issue with them to this day. I know I sold a customer of ours some BNC 3pc Crimps and ended up having to re-do the connection about 2 years later because of the sleeve not holding the main piece firm enough and it started to short out the video intermittently.

Fun stuff,

John

If you have enough time, you might want to try using Shrink-tubing after you are sure the twist-on connectors work properly. I normally slide on a piece of Shrink tubing before using the twistons. My little mini-heat-torch makes quick work of the shrink tubing around the connection. Just a thought.

At the camera end, which the homeowner never sees, I always use basic crimp on connectors that set me back around .60 cents.

I do mostly residential CCTV installations that often have the DVR located along with the A/V racks for the Home Theater and A/V distribution equipment.

Since the back of the equipment is typically accessible, customers can see all of the interconnects they often pay several hundred to $ 1,000+ for "Kimber Cable, Monster, AudioQuest..."

I will use gold compression BNC compression connectors so they don't look cheap by comparison. I might charge a buck over the $1.50 or so I pay for them. I also label all CCTV cables with a Rhino printer and heatshrink labels to aid in the "professionalism" of the installation. I can't see charging $10 for a $2.00 connector

I have always used crimp-ons, never tried anything else so dont know how good they are yet.

If I was installing a setup I would try to use the same type of metal for the connector (ie if the dvr end was gold plated, I would use gold plated connectors, if tin plated, then my normal tin plated ones would be used.) this would be to reduce any risk of corrosion caused by dissimilar metals (tin and gold can react against each other over time, and where electricity passes through them, you sometimes see this warning in server motherboard manuals etc, telling you not to use gold plated dimms if the board connector is tin plated).

Probably me just being paranoid though