568B

Goose neck mount to a concrete light pole

Parking lot application. We will be connecting a Panasonic fixed dome camera to a Panasonic gooseneck mount and mounting that to a concrete light pole. This way all wires are hidden up the pole and into the camera...very clean. Question is has anyone ran any Siamese or any video cable INSIDE a light pole? Are there major interference issues?

I know we could run conduit up the side but then we have an issue with drilling an entrance hole into a perfectly sealed gooseneck.

Thanks for your response.

If you are worried about the interference, why not run the conduit and terminate with an outdoor box, drill through the box and pull the camera wires into the box and connect them? How old is this concrete light pole?

Sorry, I’m not sure what you mean when you say drill through the box….are the wires exposed in your suggestion? It is a hollow tube gooseneck that we can run the cables directly through to the Panasonic dome. As far as the concrete pole its new construction.

Terminate the conduit into a box and drill through the box into the concrete, snaking the wires from the camera through a hole you drill in the concrete underneath the goose neck, through the hole in back of the box, into the box and make your connections. The wires are hidden completely.

Wachund suggestion is advice well give as well dependent on the pole class - Precast- (Class A- Light Duty Pole AL- Extra Light Duty Pole B medium etc) there are drilling specs and guidelines for handholes and wiring access openings working with commercial light pole/fixture, as well be aware of the wire pull (LV) if it is to be shared with exisiting HV up the hollow raceway.

I can't say I have ever dealt with what your having to work with, but I thought I would toss this out there...

I have had situations where I had to run low voltage wires through large conduits which also held high voltage lines. To avoid interference via inductance, I installed my low voltage wires in steel flexible conduit, then ran that though the large conduit "luckily there was plenty of room". This acted as a significant shield, avoiding picking up any voltage / interference from power lines over the 100 or so feet distance involved. I made certain the flexible conduit was grounded at one end.

If space is limited, you can get flexible metal conduit as small as 3/8 ID which could accommodate a Cat-5 cable if you don't mind considering baluns.

What kind of room do you have as a passage way in these poles ???