Viperoni

Need a good night time camera (B&W only ok)

So I bought a Sony SSC-E453 colour only camera without realizing that it can't do B&W lol. It should be ok for one location that I'm covering.

However, I need to cover a different area with less lighting.

The total amoutn of ambient light (streetlights, fluorescent storefront sign, etc) is enough that you could see someone with the naked eye no problem. It's not terribly dark.... just not bright.

So I was thinking of the Sony SSC-E473, which happens to be onsale at an online retialer for what I've researched is a pretty good price, it's B-stock through.

Anyhow, here's the specs on the Sony 473:

-1/3" type State-of-the-Art SuperExwave technology CCD

-Very high horizontal resolution with 540 TV lines

-'True' Day/night capability

-Color: 0.55lux @ F1.2, 50% video or 0.3 lux F1.2, 30% video

-B/W: 0.05 lux @ F1.2, 50% video or 0.04 lux @ F1.2, 30% video

-ATW Pro & ATW auto white balance

-Back light compensation, ON / OFF selectable

-Signal to Noise Ratio: better than 50 dB

I'd REALLY like to keep the camera under $150, I still have to buy a lens and enclosure on top of that.

I appreciate any and all suggestions

When it comes to a "box-type" camera(s) , I really like the Sony SSC series, and their SSC M383 in B/W. I use them often, when I need a reliable , stable , box camera. I am sure there are cameras with better specs, but I can still find the Sony SSC series, in both b/w and color, for a low cost. Add an external IR source, and you have a great B/W camera package.

When it comes to a "box-type" camera(s) , I really like the Sony SSC series, and their SSC M383 in B/W. I use them often, when I need a reliable , stable , box camera. I am sure there are cameras with better specs, but I can still find the Sony SSC series, in both b/w and color, for a low cost. Add an external IR source, and you have a great B/W camera package.

Thanks!

As for adding in some extra IR, are those cheap, $25 IR illuminators on ebay any good? I wouldn't need much more light, but I would need a bit.

Would a camera like the M383 produce a better night picture than something like the E457 because it only does B&W, or would they have more or less the same picture quailty?

My favorites for box type of B&W cameras are:

Sanyo - VCB-3384 - same resolution of 570TVL

Bosch - LTC 0356/20 without a lens and with IR filter and 570TVL resolution.

Panasonic - WV-BP334 - same resolution of 570TVL

In the same order because of the price... but if I had to choose, I will go with Bosch... just because of their exceptional warranty clauses...

My favorites for box type of B&W cameras are:

Sanyo - VCB-3384 - same resolution of 570TVL

Bosch - LTC 0356/20 without a lens and with IR filter and 570TVL resolution.

Panasonic - WV-BP334 - same resolution of 570TVL

In the same order because of the price... but if I had to choose, I will go with Bosch... just because of their exceptional warranty clauses...

From my understanding, the IR filter will cut all IR so that I wouldn't be able to use IR illuminators to boost brightness... does that help low light picture quality (to have an IR filter while not using an IR illuminators)?

And I assume if I were to use that camera, installing IR illuminators wouldn't help any, correct?

Thanks!

I have tried many of the "lower priced" IR floodlights, and, believe it or not, I found a great IR Floodlight for around $70. I have several that have been in constant use for almost 3 years now. When I go out and check Night video, I can tell the IR floods are still going strong. Will have to send you a PM on where I get them.

I have tried many of the "lower priced" IR floodlights, and, believe it or not, I found a great IR Floodlight for around $70. I have several that have been in constant use for almost 3 years now. When I go out and check Night video, I can tell the IR floods are still going strong. Will have to send you a PM on where I get them.

I'll send you a PM

I've just ordered a Sanyo 3384 with a Computar 2.8-12mm F1.3 day/night lens, can't wait to get it in and try it out

Good choice of combo hardware...

Thanks, I'm hoping it works well!