squale

How long can you run the cables for video and power?

Just wondering how long you can run the video/power cable for each camera without degrading the video picture and/or performance of the camera. I need to run about 200ft of cable to each camera, is this a problem?

Just wondering how long you can run the video/power cable for each camera without degrading the video picture and/or performance of the camera. I need to run about 200ft of cable to each camera, is this a problem?

You will always loose some video quality as the distance gets greater. Only way to fix this is with a video amplifier, either a coax amplifier, or using Cat5/UTp with an Active Receiver and a TX. Baluns will loose just as much video quality as using passive Cat5/UTP receivers. I only ever use baluns on short runs like 100-200 feet where I cant use RG59 (such as multi pair between buildings or used along with telco/networks), otherwise I use RG59, and if its more than 150' or so (depends on how many runs are far) I suggest the client uses Active UTP. Ofcourse most baluns can work up to 1000'+ but quality is normally bad or you can have other problems. Claims of 2000' with baluns is hogwash, it may work, it may not, 50% is not a gamble worth taking when doing the job for a client. Kind of like 150' Infrared with only 56 LEDs )

200' should be fine though for most general apps. You will probably find you will have more of an issue with long power runs than the video itself.

Well, to be honest, I have done almost 300ft runs on standard CAT5, not using balums, but just "splicing" the cable, but what you must be warry of is not the lost of power or video, but interferience. CAT5 tends to let almost anything in, so be carefull where you place the wire.

CAT5 tends to let almost anything in, so be carefull where you place the wire...

.. when not using a UTP/CAT5 Receiver...

okay so I got the RG59 Siamese cable for my 12vdc Speco bullet cameras at 150foot each cable. I should be fine with the power and video not losing any quality or anything at this length?

Yes ... I have RG6 just installed for a monitor, run over 850'. Just have to watch for interference from high voltage, etc. In other words keep it at least a foot away from any type of high voltage.

Rory

This raises a related question:

I have a situation where I have to run all of the camera cables about 6" passed a power cable. The power cable and camera cables will be perpendicular to each other.

What's the best way to shield the camera cables from interference?

Oye. I cringe at saying this... It's knob and tube wire that runs through the ceiling of my storage room. I need to run the camera lines through the rim joist, passed the wires, to a shelf below. As luck would have it, the closest wire is the hot (black) wire.

try it and see what happens

Test it first if you can, without running all wire, just put a piece of wire though there and out at the other end, connect a monitor and a camera and see what happens. then you will know for sure ...

sounds like you'll probably be ok with the RG59. just remember that AC is noisy stuff and if you do see any degradation in quality, at least you'll know where to look first. twisted pairs like cat5 etc. seem to be the most easily effected but you can also get quite a bit on coax depending on a number of factors, such as shielding on the power cables as well as proximity, voltage running on the AC side, as well as your coax quality. just to be safe quad shield should be run anywhere near AC. just not sure if it's available as siamese. rory should know, he seems to be the resident guru here.

Apologies to squale for highjacking this thread, but what are the typical noise symptoms? My "mux" is in a different location, but I already see "rolling lines" on several of the cameras, but only at night. What symptoms would indicate electrical interference?

how is everything situated, locations of power, cameras, mux, mux power, monitor, etc.? Are all cameras 12VDC or 24VAC or mized, which cameras does it do this on, and do you have an image clip?

Can you plug a monitor direct into the camera, if so, does it do it there, or just at the mux end?

there is more but first answer these plz,..

Rory

Electrical interference I have experienced, has not been rolling lines, it is up down variating lines, it actually looks like interference. Rolling lines can mean other things, power and sync for example. Need more info to determine.

Rory

Each camera has its own cheesy little power source. I plan to upgrade to a single panel, but ... .

Admittedly in the current setup, I have power cords mixed in with the video cords. (Think snake pit from Raiders of the Lost Ark.) I know better, but it's interesting that the problem is only with the older cameras.

I've been experimenting with CCTV for years -- sort of easing into the technology and testing it as a "poof of concept" before investing further. The "rolling lines" problem is only with my oldest (and cheapest) B&W cameras. The most noticeable problem is with my first camera: a five-year-old B&W ProVideo bullet that gets the most direct sunlight during sunset.

Rory, I'll troubleshoot the cameras as you suggest and get back with the results.

Do you only get rolling lines at night? If so then maybe a light comes on at night that crosses the cable for that camera .. ofcourse could just be a bad camera ..

Test a monitor at the camera directly and see what happens, with no other connection except the power. If it still does it, power it from the same extenstion cord as the monitor

Also, redo connections, use new BNC connectors/RCA adaptors, they may have been exposed and are coroded. I also hate to admit it, that is my current issue with a couple Provideo Bullets, I had originally warned the owner I needed gang boxes, to seal up, but yah now! Hence several hurricanes later ...and a lot of salt air ..

Rory

Rory, I wish I could blame hurricanes for the problem, but I'm in CA..

I'm going to reconfigure all of the wiring this weekend (passed that Big Bad Black Wire in the storage room). If the problem persists, then I'll troubleshoot as you suggest.

Oye. I cringe at saying this... It's knob and tube wire that runs through the ceiling of my storage room. I need to run the camera lines through the rim joist, passed the wires, to a shelf below. As luck would have it, the closest wire is the hot (black) wire.

Knob and Tube is still ok if it is in good shape and you don't need a ground. I still have some lighting circuits running on Knob and Tube in my house. And that brings me to my point. I am too new to CCTV to comment on video interference. But I run a lot of voice and data cabling. And the probability of interference has a lot to do on what the circuit is powering. A lighting circuit isn't going to interfere nearly as much as a circuit powering an arc welder. You are on the right track though. keep your low voltage signaling circuits running perpendicular to the high voltage stuff.

To report back on the 'rolling lines' problem... It seems that rerouting the video lines (no more snake pit) eliminated the problem. The BIG BLACK WIRE doesn't appear to be a factor.

Hey guys,

I know I really shouldn't ask, but what the heck is 'knob and tube'.

On behalf of any other Brit colleagues that are chuckling their socks off in blissful ignorance, I should perhaps mention that the term 'knob' does have quite another meaning, this side of the pond

Hey guys,

I know I really shouldn't ask, but what the heck is 'knob and tube'.

On behalf of any other Brit colleagues that are chuckling their socks off in blissful ignorance, I should perhaps mention that the term 'knob' does have quite another meaning, this side of the pond

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha