loop

Systems with sophisticated motion detection

I'm looking for a dvr card or a standalone system which has advanced motion detection software, that can recognize and distinct between various objects.

I was wondering if anybody has had any experiences with an intelligent video system such as ObjectVideo and what your opinion is of these things. By "intelligent video" I mean a system that can at the minimum distinguish between objects like humans or vehicles, and filter out background motion such as a tree blowing in the wind.

How valuable (how much more would you being willing to pay for a DVR) is the ability to do searches like "find all occurences where a person walked by this area," or "find the exact time when someone removed this object from the scene?" Also, how useful would it be if your DVR had a face recognition capability and allowed you to search for all instances where John Doe walked by?

I still have to see a DVR that has a real "intelligent" motion detection software without any major flaws.

GE claims to have it in this PC based DVR ...

but it costs big time $$ ..

http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/kalatel/videoiq.html

Filtering out parts of the video is not an issue and nothing new, though having the software do itself without human interaction is another thing. Some DVRs such as the PC DVR GeoVision has Object tracking and missing object, as well as PTZ tracking. But no they dont do human identification like you mentioned, but they are close. Ive seen a box that does all this but cant remember where, if you have a link please post. Nice to have something seperate of the system which can be used with any System.

Actually the best "normal" motion detection I have experienced was while using the Kalatel (now GE) DVRs ... the PC DVRs havent matched up to that part yet, though they do have much more motion detection features, some of them.

Thanks

Rory

Rory, what I meant was a system with motion detection that is:

1) Reliable enough so that a person can configure a DVR to trigger an alarm on a certain type of motion event, without the alarm going off all the time

2) If a person is interested in reviewing only the video clips where, for example, a human entered through this door then sat down in this chair, to have a search tool that can deliver exactly those video clips.

These are the kinds of things that a company like ObjectVideo is doing (or is trying to do). ObjectVideo have made it so that their algorithms can run on a portion of a TI DSP chip, such that the chip can double as a hardware MPEG4 encoder. I have heard that the Bosch DiBos will interface with ObjectVideo software (does anyone know if this is true?).

In general, I think tracking, human identification, automatically filtering out background noise, and to some extent face recognition, are all things that are technically possible at reasonable accuracy. Most or all DVR manufacturers could substantially improve the motion detection that they have, without adding any cost hardware-wise. The problem is that it is something that is difficult to develop, and also might be hard for an Asian company to do well, since it involves research and reading academic papers.

One thing i would like to see is where the motion detection doesnt pick up when the sun comes in and out, like it does here most of the year round, sets off the video motion detection on every video system ive used.

Yeah i know what you mean, but only the big companies will be able to implement that, like you mentioned, Bosch for example.

They do have it where you can search within recordded video clips to see if there was motion in that area .. or record only a section of an area ... not all have that yet though .. dont think that really qualifies like what you are talking about though.

I am not impressed with some of the motion detection i've seen on DM Sprite 1 unit. Granted its an older unit (4 years old), I had a camera set up for outdoor high sensitivity in front of my office for test purposes. Just so happens that a parked car got hit right in front of the camera ( a Sanyo day/night hi-res). The motion detection missed the event entirely. It was set for a 6 sec. pre and post activity, and the object it missed was a moving garbage truck striking a parked car.

I won't recommend motion detection to clients unless they understand there can be gaps in the video, even during critical events.

Also, when you set some cameras for record on activity only, and some full time recording, its gets more tricky as the DVR starts interlacing the video between cameras, slowing down the FPS on some to pickup the slack on the cameras with activity. The end result I think is that you still may get gaps during critical events.

Yep no Motion detection is great, but the best ive seen so far is on the kalatel units .. Hu umm , GE now ..

Im sure some others I havent tried are probably as good though or better ..

It beats all the PC DVR motion detection ive used, but doesnt have the search features some of these PC dvrs are coming out with now .. which are really amazing stuff. .

What they need is more intelligent image handling and then they can deal with the motion ... there are alot of things they could be doing with the video to make it better ... once that is covered then they could work on better motion detection, as then it would be better anyway and there wouldnt be much to do.