cctvunderonenation

whats the best way to do remote viewing?

Hi, Hows it going everybody. Currently for remote viewing I just open the ports on the router or modem. The problem is most customers dont have a static IP so it changes. I readed about DynDNS but I notice it doesnt work for all routers. Some of the customers I work on use 2wire modem/router. I know about calling the customer's service provider asking for a static IP. I am wondering is there another way beside that?

I charge $250 extra if the customer has a 2wire modem and will not have the phone company swap it out before I get there. Then I put the 2wire into bridge mode and install a router with DDWRT behind it. The 2wire from then on is simply a modem and the new router will take control of the LAN.

The router doesn't have to support DynDNS internally; if it's a PC-based DVR, you can just run their client on the machine, or another client like DynSite, or any of a number of Javascript or PERL scripts that can update the DNS.

Personally, I have our company domain registered with EasyDNS.com, and use DynSite on customer DVRs to create hostnames under our A-record... for example, customer1.lps-cctv.com, customer2.lps-cctv.com, etc.

The best plan, however, is to tell the customer that they MUST have a static IP. Almost all ISPs provide this option, usually at an extra cost, but it eliminates the problem rather than working around it, and you won't have to worry about those panicked support calls when the IP changes unexpectedly and the DNS hasn't updated within milliseconds.