pl8er

IR glare on dome cameras :(

Hi everyone! I'm new here and just installed my first CCTV system today. Everything went very smoothly. I installed the DVR card into a computer that I assembled last night from parts lying around (2.4 celeron, 40gb hard drive, 512 mb ram).

I bought a pretty cheap CCTV system just to be able to watch my house a bit better. I know that the dvr card is a techwell and I purchased 4 domes (well it actually came as a kit).

Now that I've rambled, my question :lol: I have terrible glare from the protective dome when in nightvision. Is there anything that I can apply to the inside of the domes to help remove this or do I just need better equipment?

Thanks!

Justin

I have terrible glare from the protective dome when in nightvision. Is there anything that I can apply to the inside of the domes to help remove this or do I just need better equipment?

Thanks!

Justin

Some cameras have a foam collar around the lens that can be slid up to the dome glass to help with glare. Or maybe you can adjust the lens closer to the dome or add a collar? Or if you don't need the IR there maybe a way to disable it.

Or simply cleaning the dome may help?

Thank you for the tips and tricks. I will try that out. I tried cleaning the dome as well as cutting a hole in the dome where the camera sits (I had an extra dome).

So far, no luck.

Thank you for the tips and tricks. I will try that out. I tried cleaning the dome as well as cutting a hole in the dome where the camera sits (I had an extra dome).

So far, no luck.

No, I don't think it is a good idea to cutting a hole on the dome, C7 is right, make sure that the rubber ring slide to the end of the cover glass, otherwise the LED light will get into the lens that will make the glare and fog, the last way is to remove the dome cover, good luck to you

That's actually a pretty common issue with dome cameras that built in IR illuminators. It even happens on some of the bullet cameras out there. To combat this a number of manufactures have gone to the flat face ball type cameras. The bullet type cameras have started to trend over to using 2 seperate pieces of glass on the front. The problem comes from light source illuminating the glass or polycarbonate essentially turning it into a fiber optic piece. This illumination will show every pit, scratch, and piece of dust that is on or embedded in the plastic. A number of older units seem to be degrading over time making the image look milky or hazy. Some manufactures have gone to glass insted of the polycarbonate to cure this, but at the cost of a more fragile outer lens. (ie, kid with a rock) I hope that helps in some way?

That's actually a pretty common issue with dome cameras that built in IR illuminators. It even happens on some of the bullet cameras out there. To combat this a number of manufactures have gone to the flat face ball type cameras. The bullet type cameras have started to trend over to using 2 seperate pieces of glass on the front. The problem comes from light source illuminating the glass or polycarbonate essentially turning it into a fiber optic piece. This illumination will show every pit, scratch, and piece of dust that is on or embedded in the plastic. A number of older units seem to be degrading over time making the image look milky or hazy. Some manufactures have gone to glass insted of the polycarbonate to cure this, but at the cost of a more fragile outer lens. (ie, kid with a rock) I hope that helps in some way?

Yes, that really does help. I need to work on these but with my newborn, I just haven't had the time. I'm going to try taking a small tub (width of the foam on the lense) and take it out to the lense. Will this be effective or will I just see a tube? I don't think it will be that far so I was thinking it should work and eliminate the glare.