GAtkins

Power Supply Help - They Are So Confusing

I have read many of the posts regarding power supplies, but I'm not much smarter for it.

I think I have decided to go with an Altronix Rack Mount as the DVR is under my televison in the living room.

I currently have three cameras at 24 volts and 40VA. One camera at 24 volts and 700mA. Four cameras at 24 volts and 1amp. One camera at 12volts and 450mA.

My DVR is a 16 camera version. So assuming I have a total of nine cameras now, with 7 to go in the future with similar amps as above, it seems that either of the following two units would work for me.

http://www.altronix.com/index.php?model_num=R2416600UL&pid=2

http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=2&model_num=R2416600ULCB

The first one is fused and the second one is PTC.

All the runs are probably under 100 feet (haven't measure exactly). I realize I would have to step down for the 12 volt camera at the camera end.

Are these units what I need or would anyone recommend something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Glenn

Wow, haven't seen a rackmount supply like that... it's very pretty, and probably very pricey as well, for what it needs to do.

Fact is, you can probably get by on your current cameras with something like a single 75VA-100VA closed-frame transformer, and a simple 12V/500mA "wall-wart" adapter, at a fraction of the price.

If you want to go with something for later expandability, you could go with a standard "metal can" power supply like the ALTV2416300CBM, and put a 12VDC regulator board (similar to this) inside it to feed the 12V camera(s).

I would go with a PS in a can and put the can somewhere else out of the way. Nothing says the PS and the display need to be close to each other.

Normally I do keep the DVR and PS together but it's not required and what you are atalking about doing is radically cheaper in a can as opposed to a rackmount.

Also if like me you have a rack cabinet to put this stuff in, you can buy a 4U rack case and put a canned PS inside it. Now you still have the rackmount and cool factor but costs less far less if you buy a used server and gut it.