f05bf1c2

cable quesion and balun question

would it be alright to run cat5 cable carrying video underground beside a 240volt cable?

Also

1. can you join CAT5 cable carrying video?

2. are the baluns on ebay any good? i dont no anything about them and i need to get six sets somewhere for a 200 metre run

thanks

would it be alright to run cat5 cable carrying video underground beside a 240volt cable?

No. There must be adequate separation maintained between all low voltage cables and high voltage cables. This does not apply to fiber optic cables.

1. can you join CAT5 cable carrying video?

I assume you mean can you splice CAT-5 video cable? Yes if it is carrying analog video, no if IP. You should try to maintain the number of twists per inch. Use "beans" or other suitable connectors for the splice and try to minimize the number of splices - each one attenuates the signal.

2. are the baluns on ebay any good? i dont no anything about them and i need to get six sets somewhere for a 200 metre run

thanks

Hard to say. Maybe yes, maybe no. You would be better going to a regular CCTV or electronics distributor or retailer and buying a name brand.

If the code allows running fiber in the same conduit it still should not be done. We run a aromored fiber and in all our installs a seperation from hi voltage is specified. You can buy baluns from any number of mfg so I would not mess with ebay. If running underground even in conduit use an outdoor rated cat5 conduits will get moisture in them and you will have your cable sitting in water in a few months.