LuckyLuke

Email Notification WITHOUT "My server requires authen..

Hi Guys

I wonder if someone would be able to help me. I have searched just about everywhere on the net (I'm a bit old you know, so probably looking in the wrong places) and I can't find what I am after.

I have installed a 8 camera DVR system and need the DVR to send me an email when it gets a motion alarm.

Now, everything is fine, except that in the menu of the DVR I do not have a check box that says "My server requires authentication" and because of this the emails are not getting tho. The boxes that I have filled in are:-

SMTP:

Port:

User:

Password:

I have tried lots of different accounts like Hotmail, Gmail, GMX, Live etc but now know that all of these require the authentication box to be checked (which I don't have on the DVR)

I also have a 'proper' email account which is accessable thro Outlook Express (again, I have the authentication box checked on my computer to access this mail) and of course this won't work for the DVR either....

I really hope I have explained this correctly - it makes sense to me ! lol !

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Guys

I wonder if someone would be able to help me. I have searched just about everywhere on the net (I'm a bit old you know, so probably looking in the wrong places) and I can't find what I am after.

I have installed a 8 camera DVR system and need the DVR to send me an email when it gets a motion alarm.

Now, everything is fine, except that in the menu of the DVR I do not have a check box that says "My server requires authentication" and because of this the emails are not getting tho. The boxes that I have filled in are:-

SMTP:

Port:

User:

Password:

I have tried lots of different accounts like Hotmail, Gmail, GMX, Live etc but now know that all of these require the authentication box to be checked (which I don't have on the DVR)

I also have a 'proper' email account which is accessable thro Outlook Express (again, I have the authentication box checked on my computer to access this mail) and of course this won't work for the DVR either....

I really hope I have explained this correctly - it makes sense to me ! lol !

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a little confused to your question. SMTP doesn't have a "authorization" layer beyond username and password. The protocol doesn't require a check box. But I can answer some of your issues at least. Most of the web e-mail services don't allow remote SMTP connections. You can't use Hotmail for it. Gmail does support SMTP.

http://lifehacker.com/software/email-apps/how-to-use-gmail-as-your-smtp-server-111166.php

Most home ISP's will not accept an SMTP connection from an end user. SMTP is meant more for server to server communications and most TOSs prevent end users from running a home mail server.

Thanks for your reply Thomas..

I already have a googlemail dot com email - is this the same as gmail dot com ?

Secondly, when I connect to this email from Outlook, I have to tick the "server requires authentication" box in the advanced settings in Oultook otherwise it doesn't work.

My DVR doesn't have this box to check, and therefore it doesn't work.

In Googlemail configeration it tells you this:-

This server requires a secure connection (SSL):- enabled

This is the check box that I don't have in the DVR - hense the email won't get through....

Thanks for your reply Thomas..

I already have a googlemail dot com email - is this the same as gmail dot com ?

Secondly, when I connect to this email from Outlook, I have to tick the "server requires authentication" box in the advanced settings in Oultook otherwise it doesn't work.

My DVR doesn't have this box to check, and therefore it doesn't work.

In Googlemail configeration it tells you this:-

This server requires a secure connection (SSL):- enabled

This is the check box that I don't have in the DVR - hense the email won't get through....

If the DVR doesn't allow for SSL support then you won't be able to use Gmail for the SMTP gateway. I would look into seeing if your home ISP supports it. If not, you may be out of luck.

The boxes that I have filled in are:-

SMTP:

Port:

User:

Password:

Check with your ISP. Many stopped using the standard SMTP port 25 to foil relay spammers.