G22

Panasonic WJ-HD316 power up delay?

Picked up a used Panasonic WJ-HD316 (supposed to be 'A' but just says WJ-HD316) and it takes ~20s to boot up. It that normal? I mean there is no fans sounds, no HD sounds, nothing on the screen for about 20s. It was also shipped with HD's in but w/o a HD bracket, and the circuit card came out of the slot with 2 HD's attached. Joy.

Also, the fan(s) are noisy as hell. It seems to be the rear case fan that is the noisiest. Any quieter fans that will work as an alternate?

So now I have a Panasonic WJ-HD220 that keeps rebooting with ANY HD in it, a WJ-HD500A that seems to work fine, a StoreSafe Pro II I am trying to sell, and another WJ-HD220 on the way. All are used. I am trying to find a good decent Panasonic DVR for home use.

I have a WJ-HD 316, (not the A). Though I‘m not an expert on this, your boot up time sounds normal to me. There is a few seconds before the system check screen comes on. Then, the system check runs for quite some time. Also, the auto login being on or off has something to do with how long it takes before a picture comes up on the monitor. In the manual, they talk about this under Operating the Unit For The First Time in the Advanced Menu Set Up section.

Oh, and yes, the fans are noisy as hell.

Thanks for the confirmation. Another ques... did yours come with HD brackets? If so, I assume the bracket(s) holds that small HDD circuit board in place some how?

ETA: I am hoping this other used HD220 coming works fine. I think the HD316 might be overkill for me for home use, and I can't stand the noisy fan(s). Plus it uses more watts.

It sounds like the box, draw or part for holding the two HDD’S is missing. After removing the front of the unit, one can slide a draw out containing the HDD’S. On the back of the draw, I think there’s a circuit board type plug in that reconnects the HDD’S once you slide the draw back in. Anyway, on the link below you can download a copy of the operating manual. Under the Disk Management section, you will get a good idea of what holds the HDD’S in place.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/operman/

If needed, the link below is where you can download the most resent software updates. Just make sure the updates are for the specific model you have. For example, the WJ-HD316A updates will not work on the earlier WJ-HD316.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/security/softwaredownloads/index.asp

The following link is where you will find the links above plus, other helpful links for the Panasonic security products.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/security/home.asp

Thanks. The circuit board is there, albeit hanging from the slot. Seems the entire drawer is missing.

Also, I got it from feebay. Guess it serves me right. Listed as a WJ-HD316A, but was in fact a WJ-HD316, missing HDD drawer/brackets, screws and related. Was shipped with the 2 drives loose slapping around (I could hear it when UPS delivered it), and it pulled the circuit card out (still attached to drives), etc. Also has a SAMPLE sticker on bottom.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170278278541&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007

Anyone want to buy it? LOL

Another ques... since the WJ-HD316 is discontinued... and the WJ-HD220 is not... do you think it would best to stick to the WJ-HD220 for home use, since firmware updates might not come out as much or at all for the WJ-HD316?

I mean the HD316 is pretty and all with all the lights and plethora of settings, but just not sure it is for me the more I think about it. Also, the HD220 is simple, small, sleek, and clean looking.

Also, this is staying in my room, and I won't hear the friggin house alarm going off if someone breaks in (or the smoke alarms for that matter) with the insanely loud fan noise from the HD316

Tx.

I have no experience with the HD 220 at all. However, I am a Panasonic fan. If the HD 220 is anything like my 316, you’re looking at a very durable product. As for the difference between the 316 and 316A, I don’t believe there is much difference. When I spoke with the Panasonic techs about it, I got the impression that one difference was a 5400 RPM HD for the 316 and a 7200 RPM HD for the 316A. They also didn’t suggest that there were any big software differences. By the way, there is a Manual Addendum which describes the added features after downloading the most recent update for the 316.

I think I might use the HD316 for now (still need to get HDD brackets however - prob also build a silencer of some sort for the noisy rear fan), and perhaps keep the HD220 (assuming it works) when it arrives as a spare.

The HD316 has so many settings though, it will take some to get use to. However, w/o even looking at shortcuts and stuff from the manual, I was able to make many changes myself. And if I am reading it right, I can access the cam setup menus and related w/o even using my WV-CU360C system controller?

So far my home system comprises of the following Panasonic items...

WJ-HD316 DVR

WJ-MP204C Data Multiplexer (not really needed now)

WV-CU360C System Controller

WV-CP484 fixed cam x 2 w/ WV-LZA61/2S lenses (all new)

WV-CW484 dome cam x 1 (new)

WV-CW864A PTZ cam (used and not tested yet - need upper base. wiring harness, etc.)

WV-CM1780 Monitor (prob will get a 2nd spot VGA or CRT monitor)

Also, have Pelco EH3512-2/MT ext. housings for the 484's. And 2 x used WV-CS854B PTZ's on the way. Not sure what/where to use them yet, same with CW864A above.

Nothing installed yet though. Yep, I am a Panasonic fan also.

ETA: Which do you use below for rec quality?

1) FRAME 3D ON (720 x 576) w/ cam shake compensation

2) FRAME 3D OFF (720 x 576)

3) FIELD (720 x 288)

4) SIF (360 x 288)

tx

Personally, I think the 316 is a good choice. It has many options you may want to use in the future. At least you’re not left without the choice. Anyway, it sounds like you will end up with a real nice setup.

I have my unit set to Field (720 X 288). I like having the extra frames per second. Moreover, I don’t think you gain that much more picture quality when using FRAME 3D ON (720 x 576) w/ cam shake compensation or FRAME 3D OFF (720 x 576). The only disadvantage for some people would be the amount of disk space the above settings use. For me, I only need a few days of recording anyway.

I see that you live in Ontario Canada. I used to teach at Windsor University some years back and enjoyed it very much. How close are you to Windsor? I’m in the US and not far from there at all.

Thanks for the info. One thing I found out with the 316 (and I was hoping that it might be the issue with my current 220 that keeps rebooting with any HD in it)... is that if you unplug the rear case fan power supply connector, the 316 reboots itself just after the HDD check (same as the 220 does). And if you unplug the other internal fans, I notice a Thermal warning when it boots. The fans are still too noisy for my liking, and I hoping I can add some quieter ones in place.

I am in Hamilton which is a few minutes from Lake Ontario. It is prob 2 - 3 hours from the Michigan border. How were the people on the Windsor side compared to the Michigan? I was out that way once before, I think it was a swap meet or moto-x event of some sort. Are you into old cars n stuff? I see your avatar pic there. Ever been to the Carlisle swap meet in PA? I have been there a few times myself, and it is truly amazing. I am car, gun, and cctv nut.

Yes, I am into old cars. In fact, I had an antique car restoration business for several years along with teaching applied music at three universities. As for the old cars, sheet metal shaping was a big part of my business. I fabricated many old car body parts using the English Wheel, sand bag, hammers and all the rest. Most of the cars I worked on were highly collectable, rare and expensive, hence, one of the reasons for my interest in surveillance systems. And yes, I’ve been to Carlise, Hershey, and many other car shows. By the way, I fabricated the left front fender on the 32 Studabaker you see in the avatar.

I really enjoyed the people in Canada. I found Windsor to be a very pleasant and safe place to be. I also find most people in Michigan to be very nice as well. However, there are some areas one likes to stay away from if, you know what I mean?

If any one of the three fans stop for any reason on the 316 it will generate an error. Therefore, I don’t know what to say about all the noise. Hopefully, you can find some compatible fans that will suit your needs.

Nice. Any pics?

Just want to confirm again that this is normal... when I turn the power on on the 316, nothing happens at all. However, the odd time I hear the fans power up for half a second, then turn off. Approx. 10 - 20 seconds later, the fans power up, HDD's power up, I see the blue square Panasonic graphic on the monitor, says Checking System, then HDD check after a bit, etc. Also... is your rear case fan on all the time?

tx

I shut mine down for a few minutes just to check for sure. I then turned the switch on. The green operate light came on and nothing else. After about 15 -20 seconds, the fans came on and the within moments the little blue system check and check disk screen appears and runs for -well - over a minute. It then displays system check complete and camera one displays on all monitors. Once the fans came on, they did not go back off. Nevertheless, I really don’t think there is anything wrong with your boot up. It simply seems like it takes this thing forever to get going.

I must tell you, I’ve had absolutely no trouble with this unit over the past four years. It has run flawlessly, 24/7. I’m running at just shy of 24000 hrs after changing the first HD and adding the second. I can say that I have over 30,000 trouble free hours on this thing. It’s like the old saying goes; you get what you pay for.

Yes, all three fans run 24/7.

Thanks. Makes me feel better. My green OPERATE light also comes on right away, then the jet engines fire up after 15-20.

What kind of monitor(s) are you using? VGA and/or CRT? I have a Panasonic WV-CM1780 17" CRT w/BNC connector, and not sure if I should use that and a VGA LCD monitor, or another CRT monitor.

Also, Any idea what OS these 316's run? Windows embedded? I just get that kind of Windows PC feeling with the colors on the screen, VGA output, etc.

Wow, that is some setup. Whenever I get everything setup, I then want to be able to view all cams on the TV's in the house, especially the one downstairs. That way I can see who the heck is at the door. Might even add a 2-way audio/video AIPhone also.

The old Compaq CRT that is the clearest so far on your 316... I am assuming it is VGA? Interesting if so. The AverMedia 1304 NET DVR I had recently was the same... the VGA output was much clearer than the BNC output, especially the OSD menu.

Yes, it’s a VGA. Like I said, I tried about four CRT’s and the old Compacq won out. I think that’s just the way it is. One of the others may have worked better on another system. Also, matter of opinion plays a part as well, some will like it, and some will not. As for the LCD, I may have given off the wrong impression. I said it was the worst and, it was. The truth is, the screen size is large, therefore, pixelating the 480/288 picture. Nevertheless, I have balanced the overall system pretty good with what I had to work with, and of course, the amount of money I could afford to spend.

I really enjoy playing with this stuff, therefore, learning more about it everyday. And I must say, thanks to the FORUM, much of the learning came much quicker.

Makes sense. If the DVR is pushing a certain res (480 x 288 as you say), then any LCD will look worse b/c they are clearer at their native resolution. I have an old 17" PC CRT I can try, then compare to the LCD and Panasonic CRT I have now. I can see the setup menus being clearer on the old CRT, but if live images are clearer, I will be surprised.

Seeing as you have the 220 as well as the 316, you could loop out from one to the other giving you more monitor outputs. Or, you will have the option of adding more cameras. Anyway, good luck with your system. Like I said, I think the 316 will work out just fine.