Stuart

PATA vs SATA

If my DVR has a PATA hard drive, could I replace it with a SATA hard drive.

I currently have a Samsung SPO842N 80 gig PATA hard drive and I want to upgrade it. I am looking at the Seagate SV35 SATA 500 gig drive. Will it work?

There are only two ways that you can use a SATA hard drive:

* If your DVR has SATA capabilites built in.

* With a SATA-to-PATA (SATA-to-IDE) converter:

92115_1.jpg

If you buy a SATA-to-PATA convertor, make sure it is refundable because it may not work in your DVR or with your application. I have one installed in an older computer just to test SATA drives that are "kicked out" by our RAIDs and even with a new SATA drive connected, it takes forever for the computer's BIOS to recognize the drive.

I'm not sure how the drive would perform in an application once it is set in BIOS, but the long time it takes to recogize it doesn't make me confident the drive would work properly.

Also, depending on your DVR's configuration, you may have trouble installing the SATA-to-PATA convertor for lack of space.

There are only two ways that you can use a SATA hard drive:

* If your DVR has SATA capabilites built in.

* With a SATA-to-PATA (SATA-to-IDE) converter:

92115_1.jpg

Hey!!!!!!

That's the one I carry!!!!!

Minus what looks like bent pins on that one :P

Haha, It works well with all of our dvr's I've tested up to a 1TB drive so far and nothing but good results.

Good luck finding what you need,

John

The hdd what brand was and sata or sata2

I am planing to use this one 1T ( Western Digital 1TB HDD (16MB Caviar Green, Sata II, WD10EACS)

with a converter do you think that will work ?

No, you can not replace PATA (IDE) with SATA

they are two totally different systems,

IDE is the big wide connector (Parallel ATA)

SATA is the small connector (Serial ATA)

serial ATA is newer, faster and lower processor overhead, I've found that DVR's using SATA do outperform PATA ones when streaming data!

No, you can not replace PATA (IDE) with SATA

they are two totally different systems,

IDE is the big wide connector (Parallel ATA)

SATA is the small connector (Serial ATA)

serial ATA is newer, faster and lower processor overhead, I've found that DVR's using SATA do outperform PATA ones when streaming data!

You did see the previous posts in this thread, didn't you?

For a very simple answer.

Any SATA drive can be made compatible by using a PATA (ATA) to SATA converter. Cost about $15 (here in Thailand). However I would recommend that you contact your DVR supplier to check that the DVR can handle the size of HDD you want to use, for some reason which I am unable to dicern some DVR units have limits as to the size of HDD that they will accept but ATA to SATA is no problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve

For a very simple answer.

Any SATA drive can be made compatible by using a PATA (ATA) to SATA converter. Cost about $15 (here in Thailand). However I would recommend that you contact your DVR supplier to check that the DVR can handle the size of HDD you want to use, for some reason which I am unable to dicern some DVR units have limits as to the size of HDD that they will accept but ATA to SATA is no problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve

It has to do with the Operating System and the chipset the DVR uses. Still, with most DVR's, installing a larger hard drive than the system was designed for will not hurt it. The only thing that will happen is that the system will only format the drive for the maximum size it allows and the rest of the space will be wasted. For instance, the Sanyo DSR-M800 and DSR-M810 only accepted 120GB drives. When we install 250GB drives in them, they format to 120GB.