kaysadeya

$1500 - $2000 DVR

After researching DVRs in the $1000 range, I'm going to refocus my research to DVRs in the $1500 - $2000 range. I'm also going to reduce the number of camera input from 16 down to 9 or 10.

Right now, I'm considering the Kodicom 509. I don't have any firm prices for this unit, but suspect it's in the specified price range.

Is this the best choice for this price level?

Depends on what you're looking? What frame rate is needed. What compression are you looking for? PC based or standalone? Do you need networking? How long does the customer need to record for?

Question: What frame rate is needed.

This is flexible. I was looking at units with 60 FPS record/playback and realtime display. Now I'm looking at some with 100+ FPS record/playback and realtime display.

Question: What compression are you looking for?

Again flexible. Whatever works best. From what I can gather from this forum, Wavelet or MPEG 4 are best.

Question: Do you need networking?

Nice, but not a requirement.

Question: How long does the customer need to record for?

I'm the customer. I'd like store recordings from up to 9 cameras for about 7 days.

Question: PC based or standalone?

Standalone. I've eliminated the PC-based option mainly because I'd have to buy a whole new PC and it appears that the popular GeoVision PC DVR cards require software-based compression and don't provide realtime display without a second card. When everything is added up, a decent PC solution would be well into the $2000+ range. That kinda scratch will buy a pretty decent embedded DVR.

There is alot in that range, have you tried Nuvico or Vitek, or Everfocus? Anyone of those may fit your budget.

I've looked at their specs and read about them here. From what I can gather, Everfocus is not highly regarded. In addition to Kodicom, I am considering units from Nuvico, Vitek, and ProVideo.

My priorities from highest to lowest are:

Quality/Stability

Post-purchase support (name brand unit from large company)

Video Quality

Record / Playback Speed

Disk Capacity (enough for 7 days of high-quality video)

Ability to Monitor from Standard TV sets

Remote Control (discrete IR codes a plus)

Realtime Monitoring (in mux views)

Networking

Monitoring from regular TV sets? You will need to modulate the output of your DVR and put the video output to the input of your cable system if you want to view from any TV in the house. You will have no control only vieiwng frrom these TV's. If you want to network the DVR, then you can see on any computer screen and also have control over live vieiwng and playback.

I have used Nuvico for my customers similiar to your needs, and it has worked fine for them. I'm not partial to any DVR, there are lots of good ones out there, I'm just basing it on our experience selling and installing these units and your specs and price range.

Most of the DVRs I was looking at in the $1000 range have NTSC output. I already have separate RG-6 cables from the room that will house the DVR to all of the TVs. These cables will be dedicated to carrying CCTV signal to a composite input on each TV.

One of my TVs is a DLP HDTV with a VGA input (also, component, composite, DVI, and HDMI inputs). Would it be better to connect this TV to the DVR's VGA output?

As for controlling the video from the DVR, my plan was to configure remote IR receivers to a transmitter at the DVR so I could use the remote control in any of the TV rooms.

Do you see any problems configuring the mid-range DVRs for this use?

If the DVR has a VGA output than yes you could direct it to the HDTV VGA input.

The IR remote you mentioned does owrk if setup correctly. Sounds like you did your homework. Well done.

Nuvico and Vitek are identical DVRs. Both made by the same company so in choosing one of those look for best price. Both use composite video output for the monitor so you could either take that and modulate it and then feed it into your TV RF distribution or you could run new cables and use a standard video distribution amplifier. One other possibility if the TVs aren't too far from the DVR is to run the monitor output into a small RF transmitter and then put receivers at each TV.

Vitek/Nuvico come in 8 camera versions so if you have 9 cameras in mind then you'd have to go to their 16 camera system. The reliability is very good, nice resolution on the playback, and you can hook up any standard USB port recording device like a CD/RW to store video clips for permanent storage.

Thanks for the info so far.

I'm trying to find more information on HiSharp units. They've been mentioned several times in this forum and appear to be of good quality. I understand they're marketed under different names (a sore topic for me that some of you are already familiar with) . Can someone provide some pointers to "rebranded" HiSharp units?

I think Rory checked out that ProVideo and didn't like it very much. You might want to PM him or most likely he will see this post since he is checking things everyday. I know it is confusing with so many DVRs out there, many the exact same DVR under different names. Best bet is to find a local supplier and go in and try them. You can never tell how good they are until you actually see one and play around with it. Hopefully there is someone near you with a good selection.

Yep, standalones ..

Provideo - it is a good DVR is you dont need to network it (remote video). It basically has no real network software. It has a browser based java thing that is not worth looking at (terrible picture). The software that comes with it, is useless for network (remote video). As a non networked DVR, it is good as far as quality of the image, and you can burn video to the internal CD, and playback using the included playback software. It is very large in size. It locked up on me at least once, for some unknown reason.. It is also an Asian DVR rebadged.

Everfocus, is even worst, quality of the video is crap and out of 2 I have seen installed, they both had shorts/interference of some sought on 1 channel at least. Their network software is also terrible, that includes the browser based. Back up to USB is cool, thats about it, it backs up video files to USB flash. It is smaller and looks a little better. Locks up on network playback. Asian ofcourse.

HiSharp - its good if, you dont need to playback recorded video over a network (remotely). It, like the Everfocus locked up on me too many times than I can count - then again I am a speed freak, but still. Live networked video is good quality. It is also a large unit. It does not back up video, only image files, unless you connect an external VCR. Asian of course.

Provideo and Everfocus are in the same price and quality range as HiSharp. They do not match the specs of the following:

Nuvico looks good, ive never used it though. AV and Kriton can help you there.

Kalatel, stable, strong, plain yet powerful remote software (multi-site, etc), pricey though, more than Nuvico.

General Solutions - tested one the other day - cant say how stable it is as I havent used it, but it uses Windows XP embedded, and is full of features, if you are somewhat techy than this is a good unit - same price range as the Nuvico, more features than Nuvico and kalatel, as it is Windows XP. No front buttons, just a mouse for control. Network (remote) software is as powerful as the server software ( on the unit).

Hope this pans it out a little more. I have yet to find a good 16 channel low end DVR - looking at a couple Korean 4 channels now that claim to be coming out with an 8 and 16 channel version soon, Koreans seem to make better DVRs than the other Asian countries, or at least more professional looking units with better network software. Kodicom is Korean. Dont know what Nuvico is, but Kalatel is GE, USA. General Solutions, I cant remember off hand who is the Asian side of it, though they claim to be the US branch of the manufacturer ..? Phillips also has a new(ish) stand alone DVR out. Dedicated Micros is expensive on the US side of the world, but if you are in the UK seems like a vailable choice over the rest, except they need to improve their software for multi site. Samsung Techwin also has a good looking DVR with similar specs to the others, faster recording speeds, same pricing as the nuvico's, waiting on a Demo from their Florida Rep (www.samsungcctv.com)

I cant personally recommend any others right now ..

Thats all I got for now.

Rory

Edited by Guest

oh yeah if someone wants to send me a DVR to test ill be sure to put it though the same rigurous tests i have done with Ever, Provid, Hishar, and Kalatel.. Sorry if i missed one out.. and my review of those does not mean they dont make other great products ..

You can go with the KSR-509 but price wise, it is going to be around the same price as the KSR-516. Visit www.gnsdvr.com, we have very good prices in your range on the GSR-516. It is the same system as the KSR-516 and 509, but the 516 has live viewing with 120/fps and 16-channels.

You can go with the KSR-509 but price wise, it is going to be around the same price as the KSR-516. Visit www.gnsdvr.com, we have very good prices in your range on the GSR-516. It is the same system as the KSR-516 and 509, but the 516 has live viewing with 120/fps and 16-channels.

Please PM me with a quote.

You now what you should do? find a ADI office, I think that they have one in SF, they carry tons of different brand dvr's, and play with them, but don't buy there, they are only dealer suppliers, and offer no support.

Remember, it's OK to pay a little more to get quality support WHEN YOU NEED IT!!!!!!

And to be honest, kriton seems to be your best bet since he's closer to you than anyone else, plus you can maybe take a saturday and go check him out, and see what he has and what he can offer, plus he knows what he's talking about.

Just my .02 ¢

After considering everything available in my price range, I settled on the Kodicom 516. Hopefully it will arrive sometime next week.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. I suspect you talked me out of a $1000 mistake.

I'll give the 516 a good workout and post a review. Of course, I have zero experience so far with multi-input DVRs, so the review will be more from the perspective of a person coming from a time-lapse VCR perspective. I have wireless DSL in my house, so it will be interesting to see how the networking features pan out. I also have a HD DLP TV that I intend to use as one of the monitors, so the results there might also be interesting.

I still have to add more cameras to my installation, so I'll probably be talking to most of you over in the 'Security Cameras" forum.

Received the Kodicom 516 today and was disappointed to discover that the Channel 1 input is dead.

Swapped the camera inputs around and all of the other inputs seem ok. Checked the BNC connector for Channel 1 on the unit and it looks ok (at least on the outside). Before I send the unit back, is there anything else I should try? The manual doesn't offer any information for troubleshooting this symptom, so I doubt it's a configuration issue.

is it enabled in the programming?

I dont know that DVR in particular, but with some of the DVRs I use, sometimes if the camera does not have enough power or there is no video signal, or whatever, it will auto disable on power up, then you have to manually enable it, or restart to find it once the problem is fixed.

Rory, I'm not sure about "enabled in the programming," but I've rebooted the DVR several times and placed the CD ROM that came with the unit in the drive and searched for software updates (none available). I can get the cameras to provide a good quad view with the 5-8 inputs, but the 'C 1'' input is definately dead.

On the plus side, I've been playing with the features and this is a really cool unit! More to come; but, if I can get Channel 1 to kick in, I'll be a very happy camper!

Sometimes in the setup menu area you have to make sure that the cameras are activated. Go into the area for camera setup and make sure that it hasn't been skipped.