clauken22

transfer video from dvr hard drive to my computer

I have a 8ch mpeg-4 Dvr. I want to transfer the cctv recordings to my computer. Can it be done? on the back of the Dvr it has a usb port, d/v port.

Thank you.

If you have a video card like the ATI All-In-Wonder, it has analog video in jack. You can use this by attaching a BNC adapter to the DVR to the RCA (Yellow) cables and run the video playback and a capture program.

Lot of capture programs are freeware from CNET.

Both Hauppauge and Plextor, which I actually have both, sell a USB Hardware Encoder that you can carry in the palm of your hand. I would make sure you get a Hardware encoder, versus a Software encoder. It is just that my Plextor can encode in many more different codecs. MPEG1, MPEG2, Divx, Mpeg4, etc. Check out the Hauppauge website for more help. Of course you have to do this in "real time", but most videos are only a few minutes long, if that. After encoding the video from DVR to PC/Laptop, I will then use another program to convert to WMV codec, if customer has Windows Media Player on their PC. If I go to a older convenience store, for example, and the owners have an ancient Time-Lapse VCR, but yet want a digitized video for backup, then this is the perfect way to accomplish that. Good Luck !!