Guys, quick quest.

I got a dilema on my hand

got to do a 9 cam job in a autobody/garage/towing company, with 3 BIG lots. it's around 25,000 square feet.

8 cameras are going to be in one building, and 1 in another.

now, best wiring option, CAT 5 with balums, or siamese COax?

All cameras, except 2 are going to be 24V (as per rory's suggestion)

Thanks!

whats the longest runs?

It really comes down to which is easier to run in this case, and how it will be run. My run here by the way was over 150' with the cat5, seems there is a little more video loss than in the past when i have used coax. Ofcourse it is just passive baluns.

By the way, I just hooked up a monitor for a security booth, had them run RG6 coax, it came out crisp,850+ feet.

If they can afford it (?) some NVT active RX and TX's.

Ive powered all my cameras locally, and they are 12VDC and 24VAC with no ground loops. (cat5 w/ baluns)

also, im lost when it comes t o square feet, what is that in english ?? (1,000x2,000 feet, etc?)

Rory

Thanks for the reply, and to be honest, I'm thinking the cat5, and I'm thinking of running the power on 2 pairs (24V) and the video in one, but I honestly just don't know how the CAT5 will handle the voltage.

By the way, it's 5 degrees right now, just so you know

Longest run i have it like it is maybe 50' .. as i just ran them back to a local power supply, the video ties into a terminal strip, then continues onto the other building .. how long are the runs .. there is no interference in the runs though that i have ...

NVt claims you can run 24VAC over dual wire (2 pairs) up to 400' with 330ma color cameras.

If you can power it locally do so.

Edited by Guest

Thing is that I'm planning to use a Power Supply box, and the longest run it's going to be around 200 feet.

so I can basically use a pair for video, and 2 pairs for power, uhm, how does that sound?

yeah if its 24VAC. 12VDC doesnt go too far.

Another alternative, you could buy one of these

http://www.spytown.com/t24130wp.html

or just use a plug in transformer, or even put it in a transformer, or even, buy a 4 channel and run extra cat5 for future cameras ..

Rory

Oh yeah, I have been told also, that you shouldnt run 24VAC in the same bundle as data lines.

For an example, at 50' I did not notice any loss in power, maybe only like .2 or something is all. I think it came in at 28.5VAC from 28.9VAC, cameras can handle from 18-30VAC. Ill check tomorrow and document the differences between the 10 ft run and the 50 ft run.

Edited by Guest

See, here's the problem.

The power supply box is going to be hardwired to the Main power panel, because he doesn't want the cameras to be cut from their power like it has happened before... this guy sells high end luxury cars out of his lot also, so the EXTRA security that I was offering him by the powerbox was really the dealmaker, everyone else was telling him that they would put transformers localy, and he didn't want that.

What I think that I would do is just run 2 cat5 runs per cam, 1 for video, 1 for power.

if yah like, I can use the extra cat5 I have and test the power from the 24VAC Power Box on 2 pairs, to the other building, which is around 150', and see what kind of voltage i get? Whats the worst that can happen, lower voltage right? Or can it burn the wire ?? Its hard to get an exact answer on this on the web ..

oh yeah, and this is what I got from NVT regarding this:

"If you use 2 pairs of Cat 5 for power, you should be able to power a camera drawing 300mA at distances up to almost 400'. You should not run 24VAC in same wire bundle as other datacom or telecom signals, but it is acceptable to send power in the same wire bundle as your video signal(s)."

now I take it to mean 2 pairs out of the 4 pairs ..what do you think? 4 pairs would be too thick for one side of power anyway ..

rory, where in the hell do you find all this stuff man?

I really got to come and pay you a visit.

Is you could run that test for me, and let me know the results, man, I'll owe you one.

Thanks a bunch!

ok will do tomorrow .. i mean this morning!

yeah man, let me know when, Ill be here until the neighbors start locking their garbage cans down!

gonna get a couple hours sleep now, later

rory

I have a bunch of 22/4 awg Carol "security" wire (E2004S.18.10) that I was going to use to power my cameras (one 24v and two 12v) and possibly some 24v WizKid IR illuminators. Each device is to get a separate line; the distance between devices and power source is approx 50 ft.

I finally got around to reading the portion of the camera instructions that describe wiring requirements. The 24v Panasonic specifies that I must use "UL listed wire (VW-1, style 1007)" wire. According to the instructions, 22 awg is fine, but I don't see any spec on my Carol wire indicating that it is "VW-1, style 1007." So I think "no problem" and drive down to The Depot to get some. After waiting for 30 minutes, I finally got The Wire Guy to talk to me (my wife always has better luck, but she was busy today ) and he indicates that they don't carry that type of wire. He said try Radio Shack. So, I checked Radio Shack and a local electronics store and no one had ever heard of this type of wire. Shot my whole morning searching for this stupid wire.

I've already run RG-6 for the video, so I don't want to rerun RG59 Siamese. Does anyone have any idea what this VW-1 wire is and where to get it? Or do you think the instructions are misleading and I'll be fine with the 22/4 security wire?

Thanks much!

Edited by Guest

Go to any electrical store, and pick up some 18awg cable. This is used for security cameras, and which comes in Siamese Cable, everyone should sell this. You can power cameras hundreds of feet with this, 12VDC or 24VAC.

Rory