pochrist

NV5000 + DVR Application disables Hibernate in windows

Using NV5000 and the latest version of the included DVR application (pulled it off the Avermedia website 30 days ago)

PC is running Windows Xp Sp3 2.6ghz Processor, 2 gigs memory (2) HD 40 gig for OS / Apps 500gig for Video storage.

To make it clear this system is for my Residence, at various times throughout the Day some one is home. So unless we are all out I don't need to run it all the time. I usually run it through the Night and depending on the day for a few hours.

I want to schedule the system to Hibernate at times I know the system doesn't need to be on but have run into a "catch 22" situation I traced back to the NV-DVR app.

If I send the system into hibernation it, after it wakes back up all the Camera's in the DVR App are washed out / green and the Application has to be restarted.

This presents the main problem after 2 weeks of trouble shooting here is what happens...

I go into Display Properties > Screen Saver Tab > Power Button > Hibernate Tab and tick "Enable Hibernation"

I go into the DVR application and "login" choose exit and "login" again.

After the DVR apps is closed if I Back into the Display Properties Hibernation is disabled.

This ONLY happens when I close the DVR App.

I have a program that i can set to Hibernate and wake-up on schedule as well as shut down and restart the DVR app, but do the fact the DVR app keeps disabling Hibernation the Program can't work correctly.

I KNOW FOR A FACT this system is capable of running on a scheduled Sleep / wake cycle because prior to converting it to a CCTV DVR System it was a HTPC / PVR and it ran for well over a year Hibernating till the TV Tuner Application would wake it up to record a TV show and then go back into hibernation after the Recording were completed.

That being said, i imagine the Displaying of hibernation must be written into the DVR app, and if so is there a registry setting or something i can do to disable this "Feature". Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure you doing this wrong. Hybernating a DVR is like turning off your oxygen under water.

Why Hybernate? Let the DVR run..........and if you want to schedule your recordings or anything else.........program the DVR software.

Oh, and Avermedia tech support phone number is 408-942-2118. this forum is NOT a Avermedia portal to tech support. when you post anything on this forum it sits out here until read by knuckleheads like me.

Happy Holidays........

While i do understand this is not a direct connection to Avermedia I know that they do monitor these forums and they have responed to me in the past.

As for doing this "wrong" that is relative to your application, I'm using it on a residence, not a business so I don't require 24hr survelance.

Its also better for the system as it will prolong the life of the system if it not running endlessly, watching me go to the mail box, goto the garbage can, etc.

I also believe in going "green" as in the Green in my pocket (Global warming is BS)

Up here in NY the electric company loves my money as much as i do, so i like to keep it from them when possible. Thanks.

Go green, great idea.have fun!

you might get killed or robbed on the way toyour mailbox....

the "pennies saved" to operate or hybernate.....hum? I'd like to see the savings as compare to the amount of work/time you'll spend figuring it out only to find out it's not worth it.

talk to Aver all you want here.

also, over here in Idaho electricity is cheap too........

and, I am more than sure you are doing it wrong now............

you asked, I answered..........if you don't like my answer, it's ok..the beer over here is just as good over there, right!

Go green, great idea.have fun!

you might get killed or robbed on the way toyour mailbox....

the "pennies saved" to operate or hybernate.....hum? I'd like to see the savings as compare to the amount of work/time you'll spend figuring it out only to find out it's not worth it.

talk to Aver all you want here.

also, over here in Idaho electricity is cheap too........

and, I am more than sure you are doing it wrong now............

you asked, I answered..........if you don't like my answer, it's ok..the beer over here is just as good over there, right!

Agree with VST your comp hardly cost you 2-3 cents per hour

that nothing

I hope I was not too forward............but, I'm not one to keep my big mouth shut eiter. never was, so, I appoligize..............

I'm going to go shut off some lights......

Like I said, its relative to your application. I fix computers on a regular basis and I can't count how many systems have hard disk failure due the system Never being shut down, regular people... they always tell me "my friend says never to shut off the computer, just leave it on" Who's stupid idea was that?

If it ain't a server hosting a website or CCTV System for business or the like, then by all means shut it off.

Perpetual motion = friction / ware and tare = Money to replace the parts. That ain't 2-3 cents an hour.

Oh and I know you can tell the computer to turn the Drives and monitor off after a specified time (99% of average users don't know that) oh and btw there is also a setting in that area to let the system hibernate...

As for the price of electricity in Buttfuk, nebraka / Idaho I seriously doubt that your electrical bills jumped from $80 a month to $300 with the same usage. So yea I do turn off lights, because if i don't I might wacked with a bigger bill.

My needs are differn't then most, that doesn't make me stupid, perhaps I'm trying to take advantge of resources I have on hand rather wasting more my money to fill some elses pocket.

My Electric company was bought by a company in the UK, who owns yours Obama? (free electricty for everyone)

Like i said I ain't into Global warming / conservation - I'm into me and my wallet.

I also have the NV5000 in a similar system and have noticed that the program overrides some other Windows features.

I have my DVR PC set up to monitor my second home. I am not there much, so I use the DVR to monitor things and send me emails on motion detect. It works well, but the Avermedia app disabled my windows login password.

I had my PC setup so you had to use a password on startup and to exit the screen saver. After I installed the Avermedia program, my pc no longer requires a password at start up and the screensaver is completely disabled.

Seems kinda stupid that they did this because my PC no longer has any protection when someone breaks in and wants to access all my files.

I tried editing the registry to force the PC to require a password at login and I found a way to do it, but then I had trouble with the Avermedia program.

I finally just gave up and made the DVR a dedicated machine. I wiped the drive and did a fresh Windows install and did not load anything but the Avermedia software. Now, if the PC gets stolen, the thief won't get any personal data.

Of course, I then had to build a second, secured PC for all the other things I need my PC to do.

I should have just bought a standalone DVR box from the start.

I also have the NV5000 in a similar system and have noticed that the program overrides some other Windows features.

I have my DVR PC set up to monitor my second home. I am not there much, so I use the DVR to monitor things and send me emails on motion detect. It works well, but the Avermedia app disabled my windows login password.

I had my PC setup so you had to use a password on startup and to exit the screen saver. After I installed the Avermedia program, my pc no longer requires a password at start up and the screensaver is completely disabled.

Seems kinda stupid that they did this because my PC no longer has any protection when someone breaks in and wants to access all my files.

I tried editing the registry to force the PC to require a password at login and I found a way to do it, but then I had trouble with the Avermedia program.

I finally just gave up and made the DVR a dedicated machine. I wiped the drive and did a fresh Windows install and did not load anything but the Avermedia software. Now, if the PC gets stolen, the thief won't get any personal data.

Of course, I then had to build a second, secured PC for all the other things I need my PC to do.

I should have just bought a standalone DVR box from the start.

If someone has physical access to the machine, your ability to defend it drops to almost nil. The Windows password will stop someone who doesn't want to walk off with the machine and is completely computer illiterate.

Like I said, its relative to your application. I fix computers on a regular basis and I can't count how many systems have hard disk failure due the system Never being shut down, regular people... they always tell me "my friend says never to shut off the computer, just leave it on" Who's stupid idea was that?

Hard drive failure from motor failure is rare. By far the most common reason for drive death is damage to the platters either by corrosion or drive head crashes. Hibernation won't prevent the first one, and increases the later one by a small percentage. Google has a great white paper on the subject, where they show the effects of various things on drive life expectancy. One of the things they found is that high utilization of the only has an impact on very young and very old drives. And that the number seem to show that those drives were defective and wouldn't have made it to the manufacturer's warranty period or were well outside it in the case of older drives.

By far the most common reason for drive death is damage to the platters either by corrosion or drive head crashes.

Corrosion of the platters? I thought they were non-corrosive!

Wikipedia:

"Platters are typically made using an aluminium or glass substrate. In disk manufacturing, a thin coating is deposited on both sides of the substrate, mostly by a vacuum deposition process called magnetron sputtering. The coating has a complex layered structure consisting of various metallic (mostly non-magnetic) alloys as underlayers optimized control of crystallographic orientation and grain size of the actual magnetic media layer on top of them, i.e. the film storing the bits of information. On top of it a protective carbon-based overcoat is deposited in the same sputtering process. In post-processing a nanometer thin polymeric lubricant layer is deposited on top of the sputtered structure by dipping the disk into a solvent solution, after which the disk is buffed by various processes to eliminate small defects and verified by a special sensor on a flying head for absence of any remaining asperities or other defects (where the size of the bit given above roughly sets the scale for what constitutes a significant defect size). In the hard disk drive the hard drive heads fly and move radially over the surface of the spinning platters to read or write the data. Extreme smoothness, durability, and perfection of finish are required properties of a hard disk platter."

In my experience with hundreds of drives, the most common failure is mechanical - voice coils, bearings, etc. The next most common failure is head crashes. The third most common failure is electronics. I suppose corrosion could be a factor in some of the above but I doubt it would be of the platters.

I've talked in depth with Western Digital engineers about this since we have approximately 800 disks recording video in our system and experience about 1-2 failures a week now that the drives are two years old.

By far the most common reason for drive death is damage to the platters either by corrosion or drive head crashes.

Corrosion of the platters? I thought they were non-corrosive!

Wikipedia:

"Platters are typically made using an aluminium or glass substrate. In disk manufacturing, a thin coating is deposited on both sides of the substrate, mostly by a vacuum deposition process called magnetron sputtering. The coating has a complex layered structure consisting of various metallic (mostly non-magnetic) alloys as underlayers optimized control of crystallographic orientation and grain size of the actual magnetic media layer on top of them, i.e. the film storing the bits of information. On top of it a protective carbon-based overcoat is deposited in the same sputtering process. In post-processing a nanometer thin polymeric lubricant layer is deposited on top of the sputtered structure by dipping the disk into a solvent solution, after which the disk is buffed by various processes to eliminate small defects and verified by a special sensor on a flying head for absence of any remaining asperities or other defects (where the size of the bit given above roughly sets the scale for what constitutes a significant defect size). In the hard disk drive the hard drive heads fly and move radially over the surface of the spinning platters to read or write the data. Extreme smoothness, durability, and perfection of finish are required properties of a hard disk platter."

In my experience with hundreds of drives, the most common failure is mechanical - voice coils, bearings, etc. The next most common failure is head crashes. The third most common failure is electronics. I suppose corrosion could be a factor in some of the above but I doubt it would be of the platters.

I've talked in depth with Western Digital engineers about this since we have approximately 800 disks recording video in our system and experience about 1-2 failures a week now that the drives are two years old.

It's a non-corrosive coating. It does have some degree of permeability. High amounts of humidity can still cause water to seep through that layer. It can also be cracked if you get a sudden temperature change. Different metals react differently to different temperatures. Given that most hard drives are nickle, aluminum and copper under that carbon layer, you can get cracking from the metals shrinking or expanding due to heat.

There is also a small amount of wear and tear from air friction as well. And if a head crash happens it can scratch the carbon layer. Platters are corrosive resistant, that not quite the same thing as non-corrosive.