kaysadeya

Snap-and-seal RCA and BNC Connectors

I've looked everywhere and can't find any instructions on how to install snap-and-seal RCA and BNC connectors. All I can find is how to install the F connectors. Can someone point me to the info?

Thanks!

3195CT. Have you tried it with the BNC connectors? I just ordered the connectors and assumed they were compatible with this tool:

http://www.mjsales.net/items.asp?FamilyID=426&this_Cat1ID=266&Cat2ID=38&Cat3ID=31

I haven't tried with my tool. but the F connectors are a tight fit. I am pretty sure there is no way a BNC will fit in there. I can't tell how that tool you linked to works. I was thinking of picking up something like this:

1555.jpg

Guys, what is the snap and seal uses for, outdoors?? If so, why?

Yes. SnS make a weather tight connection. But I picked it up at the suggestion of a guy I know that works for the cable company. I figured if it was good enough for them, it was good enough for me. Since then they have switched to Digicon. D'oh!

I like the professional look of the compression fittings.

I'll let you know if the connectors fit my tool. What I really need though are instructions (I'm pretty sure the splicing for BNC and RCA s different than with 'F' connectors).

Rory, yes the snap-and-seal are designed to create a weather-proof connection. The connectors are just really solid, so I use them everywhere.

I would try it just like the F conns. ?

Because unless you have to use a different stripper I don't see how it could be much different.

I haven't yet used the BNC connectors, but I have some RCA connectors (for RG59) that fit the compression tool. However, I've had spotty success with the RCAs, mostly because I really don't understand how far back to cut the cable jacket and how much center pin to expose. From the looks of it, you have to expose a longer center pin with the RCA than you would with an F connector.

The RCA connectors aren't cheap, so experimenting is expensive. It would be out of the question to experiment with the BNC connectors, at $5 a pop.

I've sent emails to both Thomas & Betts and Sargent. I'll post whatever information I can get from them on this topic.

That's disappointing to hear. I have never had a failure with the F conns. But really, with the exposed center conductor it's pretty easy to know it's all good before you compress the fitting. The closest I can find to instructions for the RCA's was this:

For maximun performance use an RG6/U with a solid copper center conductor ie Belden 7915A

Quad sealed system prevents moisture from migrating into the connection

360° radial compression provides superior RF integrity.

1/4"x 1/4" cable preparation

Connector to cable retention 40 lbs minimum

Requires the SNSIT for installation

http://www.tselectronic.com/thomandbetts/sns1p6rmx.html

That's what the F conns need. and it's the same instructions they give on the BNC page. But obviously there is more to it then that if you are having failures.

Yes the 1/4" x 1/4" works for the F connector just fine (I did 2 of those today).

I also figured out some cuts for the RCA that appear to work: 1/2" x 3/8" (the latter being the exposed center conductor). However, rather than pushing the braid back over the outer jacket (as you do with the F connector), I found that scrunching it up 1/4" back from the exposed center conductor seems to work best.

If I don't get any responses from T & B or Sargent next week, I'll have to experiment with the BNC cuts. If I have success on either front, I'll post the results here.

C7. I received the R6 BNC connectors yesterday, but have been distracted by life and my new DVR. The connectors came with instructions (this is new ) and the short story is that the instructions say to cut 1/4 / 1/4. However, looking at the interior of the connector, that doesn't look right. The interior is more like the RCA connector.

I'll get back with more specifics when I have them. Meanwhile, I plan to take advantage of this weekend.

Edited by Guest

C7. I received the R6 BNC connectors yesterday, but have been distracted by life and my new DVR. The connectors came with instructions (this is new ) and the short story is that the instructions say to cut 1/4 / 1/4. However, looking at the interior of the connector, that doesn't look right. The interior is more like the RCA connector.

I'll get back with more specifics when I have them. Meanwhile, I plan to take advantage of this weekend.

Finally got around to installing one of the BNC connectors today. A 1/4 x 1/4 cut is fine; you just have to make sure the BNC connector is twisted far enough up the wire. (I measured the inside of the connector first with a toothpick, transferred the measurement to the wire, and marked.)

I also tried the 1/4 x 1/4 splice and same measuring technique with the RCA connector and that worked too. So disregard the 1/2" x 3/8" measurement I cited earlier and just make sure the connector is twisted far enough up the wire before crimping.