toxic

CCTV > Scart > PC?

Hi, this is my first post here as I've just bought a cheap CCTV camera and am looking for the best way to record from it.

The output from the camera is scart and it's currently plugged into my TV.

My prefered method of recording would be to my PCs hard drive, as I know where I am with computers and it would be much simpler -

Is it possible to connect scart to a CCTV PCI card? Are there any cards with scart input or am I going to need an adapter. What kind?

I would also be willing to buy a VCR to record to, but are there specific VCRs for CCTV recording? Are they expensive?

The DVRs I've looked at start at £100 which is too expensive for me right now.

Any links to stuff would be greatly appreciated, and I am on quite a low budget as I am a student.

Also, keep in mind that I'm quite the newbie when it comes to CCTV and A/V in general

Thanks

As a start you will probably need a SCART AV adaptor such as this if you want to record onto a PCI video card or a vcr.

scart%20adapter%20to%20scart%203%20x%20rca%201%20x%20svhs.jpg

If you let us know where you are located, then perhaps one of the other readers can direct you to suppliers in your area.

Based on your budget, you might be best suited with a VCR or DVD recorder depending on how long you want to record.....a day? a week?

Appreciate the quick reply.

I'd like to record for as longer periods as possible, but mostly just overnight (my car is being vandalised).

I live in Liverpool, UK.

Just like to add that I believe I already have a Scart AV adapter similar to the one pictured. Where should I go from here?

I would look for one of these external USB video capture cards for your computer which go for around £39.99

PR_Pinnacle_Vid_Capture_Cab.jpg

Connect an RCA yellow cable between this and the SCART card. Check your local audio visual store for cables.

Just want to make sure I'm buying the right things here.

Camera > Scart > AV Adapter >

amazon.co.uk/Gold-Phono-Audio-Video-Cable/dp/B000NRXR3C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232408589&sr=1-5

>

amazon.co.uk/EasyCAP-Audio-Video-Capture-Adapter/dp/B001BWU8US/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232407820&sr=8-1

> PC

Does this look right to you?

Sorry for the newbie questions

(simplified the links, as it wont let me post, hope this isnt frowned upon, but its not spam )

Good work....that's what you want!

You'll only need to interconnect the yellow (video) cable....the red and white are for audio....unless you have a camera with audio?

Play around with the software to find the best combination of quality so that it doesn't task your computer too much.

the camera does have audio, but its not really important. still, good to know i can hook it up.

i may see if i can build a whole new comp for it out of spare parts i have lying around depending on how it performs / how much space the video uses.

Thanks very much for the advice!