blake

Tools needed to get started

Will do..

or hook up with a cable runner there and sub that part out to them.

most of the time the companies here sub out that kind of work to electricians, let them have the head aches, gives you more time to concentrate on what you do best, the technical side.

I see one of my favorite tool companies,RIGID,has come out with their own 18v lithium kits with lifetime warranty on everything.Can't beat that!

Back in the day RIGID tools were top shelf, I don't know if they still make their own stuff nowadays. If you want to pay the money Hilti is a great brand. Bosch is great. I still use the 'Bulldog" made by them. SDS bits are great. As for Dewalt, they are OK for throwaway tools and Ryobi are pure crap.

True about the Ryobi, but they do have their place. One construction site we worked on, the super kept a Ryobi kit around - drill, impact, skill-saw, sawzall - for any of the trades to use. He figured, they were useful when needed, and cheap enough that if something walked off, it wasn't a huge loss.

My co-worker picked up a seven-tool Ryobi kit for about $250, stock with Nicad batteries, then later added a pair of Lithium batteries, since both are designed to Ryobi's "One+" system. That setup has served him well for a couple years now, as it's quite versatile for the price... although it doesn't come close to keeping up with my six-year-old Milwaukee 14V drill

Probably the only tool everyone overlooked to mention is common sense. I've seen installers come with a truck load of cutting edge tools, but struggle to fish a wire down a wall in a timely fashion. The mark of a good installer is to be able to improvise on a moment's notice and use whatever materials they find in their surroundings to make the job easier. And be able to leave the job without a trace of evidence they have been there.

Common sense, alas, is not so common anymore...

Speaking of Ryobi... for those of us in Canada at least, Home Depot is currently offering a price drop on most of their Ryobi tools.

True about the Ryobi, but they do have their place. One construction site we worked on, the super kept a Ryobi kit around - drill, impact, skill-saw, sawzall - for any of the trades to use. He figured, they were useful when needed, and cheap enough that if something walked off, it wasn't a huge loss.

My co-worker picked up a seven-tool Ryobi kit for about $250, stock with Nicad batteries, then later added a pair of Lithium batteries, since both are designed to Ryobi's "One+" system. That setup has served him well for a couple years now, as it's quite versatile for the price... although it doesn't come close to keeping up with my six-year-old Milwaukee 14V drill

Yep, I do agree with this as the price point makes it great for disposable tools. The funny part is there are so many contractors that "forgot" their drill or it "died" an untimely death. Most are good people and it makes everyone's life easier by letting them borrow the tools.

Common sense, alas, is not so common anymore...

That's the sad part. Plus, everyone striving for a quick buck doesn't help matters. Quality and craftsmanship is always worth paying extra for

Yep, I do agree with this as the price point makes it great for disposable tools. The funny part is there are so many contractors that "forgot" their drill or it "died" an untimely death. Most are good people and it makes everyone's life easier by letting them borrow the tools.

They're also good for tools that you use infrequently... like in my coworker's Ryobi kit, the sawzall (sorry, Milwaukee brand name... "reciprocating saw") almost never gets used except for sometimes cutting EMT or PVC conduit or maybe small pieces of wood... the circular saw usually for cutting thin plywood for backing boards or 2x4s. Neither see very heavy use, so lower-cost tools are acceptable.

I figured i would need to invest in a good cordless tool kit that has a drill/hammer drill,circular saw,sawzall and light.

A great source for wall fishing and other odd tools is Labor Saving Devices, http://www.lsdinc.com/content/main ... And I think I'm working in the wrong places, how come no one mentioned needing a flashlight? I use a DeWalt 18 volt one so I can use my same batteries, plus I have a small LED one in my pocket for backup (and yes, I have used it, there's a gap between a cooler box and exterior wall that ate one of my previous flashlights!)

I use Surefire for my flashlights..... Not cheap but the best.

http://www.surefire.com/E1B-Backup

Yes! A lot of co-workers make fun of me for spending $100 plus on a flashlight (have 3) but if you use something 30 plus times a day, every day it's hard for me to put a price on it. They work every time and I'll put my life on it (actually have many times).

Also, I picked up this beauty from Lowes with a 20% off coupon (from USPS relocation envelope). http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=109739-353-PS40-2A

I LOVE this thing. It's extremely small yet powerful, fast, has lights, and will drive any screw into almost anything. Perfect for CCTV and hours of our inevitable ladder work.

A great source for wall fishing and other odd tools is Labor Saving Devices, http://www.lsdinc.com/content/main ... And I think I'm working in the wrong places, how come no one mentioned needing a flashlight? I use a DeWalt 18 volt one so I can use my same batteries, plus I have a small LED one in my pocket for backup (and yes, I have used it, there's a gap between a cooler box and exterior wall that ate one of my previous flashlights!)

Yes! A lot of co-workers make fun of me for spending $100 plus on a flashlight (have 3) but if you use something 30 plus times a day, every day it's hard for me to put a price on it. They work every time and I'll put my life on it (actually have many times).

Also, I picked up this beauty from Lowes with a 20% off coupon (from USPS relocation envelope). http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=109739-353-PS40-2A

I LOVE this thing. It's extremely small yet powerful, fast, has lights, and will drive any screw into almost anything. Perfect for CCTV and hours of our inevitable ladder work.

I had 4 but I lost 2 Surefire flashlights are the best tool period.

I had 4 but I lost 2 Surefire flashlights are the best tool period.

Especially when they're free.

Personally, I can't praise Milwaukee tools enough. My dad has used them for years (including the original Sawzall). My first one was their 2.4V cordless screwdriver, that I bought in 1990 when I started working in car audio installations. It was about $220 with the fast-charger and two batteries, but could keep up with the other installers' 7.2V Makita drills in most instances, while being a lot smaller and lighter. It saw 8 years of pretty steady use before the first NiCad battery died completely and wouldn't recharge... the second one went three years after that. Milwaukee still sells the exact same design today, including the same kit with two batteries, fast charger and carry case. Definitely NOT your average "cordless screwdriver".

Have any of you guys ordered supplies from CableGiant dot com?

never heard of it, but at first glance looks overpriced.

Another handy tool I take out to every job is a netbook and a wireless router. (maybe this was already mentioned? Idk, this thread is long!!) I find it extremely handy for focusing cameras. The netbook is lightweight, cordless, and has a long battery life. Perfect for ladder work.

I also have a power inverter and a wireless network all in one printer/copier in my truck. This comes in handy for modifying invoices, giving an instant bid, printing out manuals, contracts, scanning in hand drawn site surveys, etc. It sure beats driving back to the office or asking to (unprofessionally) borrow a customer's printer and install the drivers, if they have one at all. To me it's a must.

Netbook: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gateway-lt3103u/4505-3121_7-33721171.html

Router: http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Technology-WHR-HP-G54-Wireless-G-Performance/dp/B000AOKTJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256932973&sr=8-1

Printer: http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-Wireless-Printer-C11CA18201/dp/B001DJ9JF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256933342&sr=1-1

I also love this space saving multi tool. It makes great precision cuts for recessed j boxes in sofits, drywall and wood. It also sands which is handy for patching drywall.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS50-2B-12-Volt-Multi-X-Carpenter/dp/B001E261NI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1256933481&sr=8-1-catcorr

I'd add to the list a variety of adapters. BNC -> RCA. couplers, etc. They don't take up much space at all, and can come in handy.

I'd add to the list a variety of adapters. BNC -> RCA. couplers, etc. They don't take up much space at all, and can come in handy.

Oh yes, I think we all carry a good supply of those... plus RCA->BNC, BNC->F, F->BNC, BNC T-adapters of various types... just about anything imaginable, you'll probably find a use for at least once in your career

Another tool I would throw out there is the magnepull (magnepull dot com).

We started using them and they have proven to be terrific for fishing walls - even if they are insulated. We picked ours up from our local distributor (The Systems Depot) for a great price.

We started using them and they have proven to be terrific for fishing walls - even if they are insulated. We picked ours up from our local distributor (The Systems Depot) for a great price.

Anyone else use this? I've seen this thing at supply houses before. Almost looks too good to be true. I would have bought it already if it wasn't for the steep price. Like $250 I think?

Anyone else use this? I've seen this thing at supply houses before. Almost looks too good to be true. I would have bought it already if it wasn't for the steep price. Like $250 I think?

I would think the magnet would leave marks on the wall.

The roller has a protective finish on it. I have used it on finished and painted drywall with no marks.

We picked up ours for under $100.