ziggy221

IR Dome for License Plate Capture

Would a D/N dome camera with integrated IR mounted at about 3-4' off the ground focuses and aimed at the end of a driveway to where a car front would typically be successfuly capture/record a License plate number or would it be best to go with perhaps an extreme reg-lp camera?

the cam in question i was thinking to install was a GE Truvision tvd-tir-hr

if you are on a budget then give it a try, and let us know how it worked for you. If security is of the essence then perhaps you might want something like this. People do not like to go over speed bumps. This is a narrow "speed bump", and people will straddle over it to keep the wheels from being bumped. This is how the plate is in line with the camera.

http://www.speedbumpcam.com/pics.htm

http://www.speedbumpcam.com/index2.htm

this is for a residential install so a speed bump is not applicable. I was planning on having the device mounted on the side of the driveway, therefore requireing a slight angle to a possible plate, definitely not a direct view.....any suggestions?

I checked Scorpions link and was surprised by how well the demo handled the headlights.

It would be interesting to see if an angled shot copes as well.

Another thought is that some places seem not to require front plates and in places that do, (here in Wisconsin, for example) enforcement is very selective.

Might be easier to try and catch the back plate.