User457

Can't Playback Files Created By Our CCTV

Hi all,

Firstly let me say what a great forum you have here and i'm hoping someone can help me out.

We have four X-Vision DVR2 16CH recorders at our workplace.

I have been using these for around 6 months now with no problems.

I can access each DVR through its web interface and watch live footage or recorded footage from each camera.

My Problem lies with this...

We had an incident which was captured by many of our cameras. I have traced each camera and recorded the footage required to the local computer. Now i have a bunch of .JPG snapshots which i can view no problem, but also a bunch of .drv files (video) which won't play.

I have contacted the company which installed te system to ask for the correct codecs / software but they have since ceased trading. I have been on to X Vision's website to find no player downloads available what so ever ?

Does anyone know where i can get a player for these files ?

And even when i have a player myself, will the authorities be able to play such files ?

One last thing... i understand that the equipment we own uses its own propriety format... is there some setting that can change to allow for say maybe .avi creation or a more readable format ?

Thanking You

User457.

Hi and welcome to the forum and thank you for your kind words...

In Googling .dvr File Player I came across this link

http://www.pyrogen.com/DvrActiveXSetup.exe

I downloaded the file and installed it on my XP PC. When I open the program and select "open", it is looking for .dvr files so I would assume it should work for you.

With reference to the Police being able to view the files, our DVR's record in mp4 and will not play in your normal windows media player. What I do is copy the video files in question on to a DVD and also copy the player program as well on the same DVD. In doing so, no matter who has the DVD, it can be played. Also, our systems offer a video converter as well that will convert to either .avi or .wmv

Hope this helps

Mike

Just a suggestion for you. I run into this problem constantly, especially with older Time-Lapse VCR's which are still in use. Whether or not this is "court approved", I could not tell you. I own both Hauppauge and Plextor Hardware Encoders. They fit in the palm of my hand, and are USB 2.0 encoders, not PCI cards. I will take the DVR/VCR output cable, and go directly into the Hardware Encoder. Yes, you must do this in real-time, but it works. I can encode the video to many different codecs, WMV,MPEG-1, MPEG-2,MPEG-4, DIVX, etc. I had to get these Hardware Encoders, as I deal with people who still swear by there ancient Time-Lapse VCR's, and do not want to change to a digital system. Yet they (store owners) want to make a Video CD for local cops, etc. Again, just my suggestion, as I know it works, for me anyway. If you want to playback all sorts of video codecs, you need to look at something like VLC Player. Good luck.

Forgot to add something also. I can get 30 to 45 minutes of WMV in 720 X 480 on a CD-R. Not sure why people write to DVD format. WMV will play on most PC's, as Windows Media Player is usually a normal program. 30 minutes is a heck of a long video, just have to keep it under 700 MB or so. I use my Flash Drives for WMV video often also. Easier than writing to CD.

Hi and welcome to the forum and thank you for your kind words...

In Googling .dvr File Player I came across this link

Link removed

I downloaded the file and installed it on my XP PC. When I open the program and select "open", it is looking for .dvr files so I would assume it should work for you.

With reference to the Police being able to view the files, our DVR's record in mp4 and will not play in your normal windows media player. What I do is copy the video files in question on to a DVD and also copy the player program as well on the same DVD. In doing so, no matter who has the DVD, it can be played. Also, our systems offer a video converter as well that will convert to either .avi or .wmv

Hope this helps

Mike

Hi Mike

Sorry, but i have already tried that player... you see the files created are not .dvr but .drv.

I have contacted X Vision only for them to send me a tech support Premium Line Phone number from which i guess i'll get nowhere then end up having to pay for the player software anyway ?

To CacheCreek...

sounds like this would work however we currently don't use an output cable of anykind. We log into the dvr via its web interface and do everything from there. Also not sure how Legal that process would be ?

Anyone else got any ideas ???

You are probably correct in assuming the "legality" of my process. Most of my Video CD's were petty crimes (beer theft, fights, car crashes,graffitti, etc. etc) so they were most likely not used in a courtroom. The local cops have come to love my videos, though. Believe me, local cops know who the "hoodlums" are, in any given community, and can identify them instantly. Good luck in your search.

Hi all

I have now got myself a copy of the correct player it was stored amongst hundreds of discs lying around.

I now have a new problem in that when i play on the main PC i get playback no problem, however when i try to play at another location i get an error saying that remote200.ocx is not installed or it couldn't be installed.

Having looked around online i have found that this file is sent from the dvr when you log in or connect a computer to it.

Problem is... its not possible to connect this computer to it... and also... how would the police play this at their location... i mean c'mon what sort of set up have we got here.

Anyone Help !!!

Thanks

User457

Why is it that your computer will not connect to the DVR remotely?

Its because its on a different network to the dvr. I would have it configured to be on the same network then all would work but i would lose other things taht are a daily requirement for this computer.

Anyway... after much stress i have now solved my problem. I had to install the CMS.. (Central Management Software) for the dvr on the pc i wanted to play on, then call the player from that.

^^^ Does that make Sense ??? ^^^

I am now able to play and also convert all the required files to .avi, although i must say the conversion part comes from third party software which wasn't supplied by xvision. However they do make this software for certain oem's as i found out and ahve downloaded a copy from one of their sites.

To all that helped a big thank you.

To all that are still searching on how to play drv files created by x vision's cctv equipment... i'm only a pm away.

Hi user457

I am having exactly the same problem you did, can you tell me how you managed to convert the .drv files to .avi I can't find any software to do this, thanks

Hi

Its been a while since i had this problem now.

I'll need to know which DVR your using ?

User457

Hi,

I don't know the type of dvr player. The story is that a friend of mine has a pub with cctv in. They asked me if I could take one the .drv files and convert it to either .avi or .mpg so that it could then be burned to DVD and watched on a television. They gave me a copy of the file and the player but when I try to install the player I get the message that remote200.ocx is not installed. So far I can't locate anything to either open the .drv file or convert it. Just wondering how you managed it. Thanks

Without knowing what type or model of DVR you have it will be impossible to get you the right software.

If you can contact your friend and maybe get a manufacturer and model or one of the two i'll be able to help more.

User457

Thanks for your reply, I went round last night and used a screen video capture program on the hotel pc and got the file saved as a .avi that way. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Without knowing what type or model of DVR you have it will be impossible to get you the right software.

If you can contact your friend and maybe get a manufacturer and model or one of the two i'll be able to help more.

User457

I am having exactly the same problem with my Xvision DVR16 & Xvision DVR8. Any help you can provide will be very gratefully received.

TIA

Wistian

HI

Been a while since i was here looking for help so glad i kept the email notification switched on.

I owe the site a fix so i will try and assist you as much as i can.

Have sent you an email.

Let me know what you want to do.

User457

Hi. I know this is a pretty old thread, but I found it because I was having the same issue with .drv files. (You would think they would be .dvr files, but like others here, our camera's files are .drv)

Anyway, I subsequently found that Aunsoft Video Converter (not free, but relatively affordable) can both play the files and convert them to pretty much anything I needed. In my case the cameras were trained on wildlife and we needed to be able to edit the files into a longer video, so I chose to convert to .avi.

For some reason, the files appear to be squished vertically to 240x720, but I can fix that and get them back to 480x720 during the conversion process.