Maxima

Does CCTV system affect home value?

I'm getting ready to install a 6-8 camera system at my house and would like to know what every one thinks a CCTV system does to home value.

I live in a bigger city that does have crime problems (normally #1 each year in the country), but I live in the better part. There still is a decent amount of property crime though. I've looked, and I've not seen one other other house in the area with a camera system. Will putting in a system at my house affect the home value in any way?

For the right buyer, it might.

I've got way more in my system than I ever anticipate getting out of it, but that's not why I put it in.

Peace of mind and the ability to check in on my family when I'm away are worth a great deal to me.

For the right buyer, it might.

I've got way more in my system than I ever anticipate getting out of it, but that's not why I put it in.

Peace of mind and the ability to check in on my family when I'm away are worth a great deal to me.

Do you think a majority of buyers would feel the same? Do you think having a system installed, for people not likely to pay to put one in, might increase the chance of them buying? Maybe unknowingly spend a little more for the house? Or do you think people will see it as an eyesore (even nicely done) and spend less or avoid the house all together.

If I were buying a home, it would influence my decision. My home was broken into a while back. Some irreplaceable things were taken, it was vandalized and they messed with my dog (boxer). An alarm system may have prevented it, but a security camera would have given me what I really want - a picture of the people who did the crime. A picture is something that can be acted upon. Sirens, noises or a phone call after the fact is not as useful.

I'm with Sawbones - I have a system in place for piece of mind.

Another advantage that CCTV has over an alarm system is that the buyer does not to subscribe to a monthly monitoring fee.

Having had a CCTV system in my house for a couple of years, I can honestly say that I'll never be without one in any home I own.

There may be a certain amount of salesmanship involved when you sell your house (of course), but I think most people would consider a CCTV system a value-add to the property. Whether you'll get an even return on your investment or not? That's another question entirely.

If I were buying a home, it would influence my decision. My home was broken into a while back. Some irreplaceable things were taken, it was vandalized and they messed with my dog (boxer). An alarm system may have prevented it, but a security camera would have given me what I really want - a picture of the people who did the crime. A picture is something that can be acted upon. Sirens, noises or a phone call after the fact is not as useful.

I'm with Sawbones - I have a system in place for piece of mind.

Another advantage that CCTV has over an alarm system is that the buyer does not to subscribe to a monthly monitoring fee.

True. Like in my city, not only do you have to pay the monthly monitoring fee, but also a fee to the city. Get 2 false alarms, and not your paying even more. More work too, with setting and disarming all of the time.

I don't think I've ever seen "CCTV system" listed in a home for sale ad though.

Any of the pros ever thought of using it as a selling tool?