stu007

New Avtech h.264 DVR AVC792

I just received a new AVC 792 DVR from cctvdirect in the ukThey call it the Jupiter but its the same model, the price was very attractive, it arrived the next day and I installed in in place of my old avtech DVR. This model is light years ahead of anything avtech have produced before. The playback quality is fantastic and much better than MPEG 4. It also has H264 web tranmission so the images broadcast via the web are also much cleaerer. Its been running for approx 2 weeks now and I'm delighted with my Jupiter 792 DVR and would reconmend this machine to anyone, it also allows evidence to be played back on windows media player!

thats awesome scorpion, you can totally tell the differances in quality between mpeg4 and h.264. I will be getting one of these DVR's tomorrow for testing.

Looks like the "retro" style has come back! lolz, the 792 looks so oldschool.

Its Definatly retro, I was surprised by the design style but now ive grown to love it - I have also found it to be relible and the networking aspect is better than i first thought the AVC 792D or Jupitor as mine is called is superb.

Hey Mark R, a wierd thing i noticed with mine...

CIF at BEST quality looks better than Frame at BEST during playback ??

I need to test this more as I was only testing at night and nighttime video is generally pretty crappy.

Umm yes I noticed that and could'nt work out the difference I allso asked the guys at cctvdirect where i purchased it and they where not sure either.

Night footage is never as good as during the day, but so far i'm more than happy with it. I'm recording on frame mode, in full quality.

I have this recorder and so far I'm very happy... however... has anyone had trouble with jerky video playback when connected to the DVR through a browser on a MAC? Have tried in both Safari and Firefox and in both cases the video is SLOW. When I connect using IE it runs nice an smooth.

Any ideas?

do you have to convert the files before they can be played by windows media player? Do you need to install any special CODEC's before playing?

Thanks

Hi

The 792 supports the IR lead that plugs in the back. Any idea where i can get one from? CCTV direct said it does not come with one on this model. It is used to extend the remote control Infra Red range so that the actual dvr can be hidden away and still be used with a remote controll.

Thanks

Any ideas on where to pick one of these up? I'm thinking about this or one of the few others I have been looking at:

Intellicam

Icrealtime

AVTech

Any thoughts? I'm looking for a few 4 and 8 channel models for some upcoming installs I'm doing for some residential locations.

How does H.264 compression compare to Mpeg4 during playback? Is their much difference?

Depends on manufacturer, but Mpeg4 is generally better quality, less compression. H.264 is good for slow networks when viewing video remotely.